Michael Carter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’ve pointed this out in a couple of threads, but figured it deserved its own thread at this point. Michael Carter is not a good runningback. He has soft hands and can play on 3rd down, but that’s about it. He doesn’t break tackles, he doesn’t choose the right holes or elusively cut to the right running lane.

I think we have enough of a sample size of him especially next to an explosive player like Hall, to know that Knight and Ty Johnson should be getting the bulk of the carries.

I’d like to see us draft another runningback next year in the mid-rounds as well.

Lon Chaney and KY Jets Fan like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The issue with MC is that he should never be your 1/1A in the backfield.

If he's your 2nd back in a duo or 2nd/3rd option in a committee he can be effective as he's much better suited to be a change-of-pace guy than a lead back.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

To be fair, hit did finally break a tackle yesterday and we got hosed with a quick whistle.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

hard disagree. carter has all the tools to be a great 3rd down back. a guy like leon washinton or darren sproles. he just isn't built to be a work horse. he consistently makes people miss, IDK where you get this "he can't break tackles" from,

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-elusive-running-backs-2021-season

3. Michael Carter, New York Jets
    Missed Tackles Forced per Attempt: 0.265 | Missed Tackles Forced: 39
    The Jets’ ball-carrier saw 77.46% — the third-highest percentage — of his 639 total yards come after contact and forced 39 missed tackles in 2021. While he was lower down the list in first downs and touchdowns, he averaged 4.3 yards per attempt, which was more of a middle-of-the-pack figure.

he was 3rd in the NFL in missed tackles per attempt.

boozer32, truthbtold, K'OB and 8 others like this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Agree on Carter. Liked him coming out as a change of pace type back.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Following PFF statistics over the eye test hasn’t exactly worked out well over the past couple years…

Breece Hall averaged 5.8 yards per carry in the same offense that Carter is averaging 3.7. He’s not a good NFL back right now.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Breece Hall knows exactly how to exploit the zone wide blocking scheme. It's a perfect fit for him and that why he keeps hitting the right seam and exploding through it.

Carter doesn't seem to have the same feel for the scheme.

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

He's got a lot of intangibles I like but he's not a hard runner. There was a play Sunday (it got called back for penalty) early where he was stopped short and I thought geez, gotta run thru that arm tackle.
    He hasn't shown the shiftiness that he was associated with coming out of UNC imo. I'd hate to see him go tho. Very likable player.

PS: IDK if he's like Leon cause he doesn't return kicks and punts--they certainly haven't used him as a 3rd down back lately either.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

MC is our best running back behind Breece & it's not even close! MC & Breece are an excellent 1-2 punch.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He definitely does not fit the mold for the shanahan run game and not as productive as I thought he would be. But a decent enough back to stay on the roster for 4 years and letting walk for a hopefully a comp pick.

dawinner127 likes this.
  11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I love what I saw from Knight yesterday.
    The kid fought for every yard and gave 110%.

I disagree about Ty Johnson over MC though. I just don’t think MLF is really usually Carter correctly and calling
    type of plays to his strengths.

IDFjet likes this.
  12. NCJets

NCJets New Member

Hall and Bam are the future, Carter will compliment them.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Just depends what you expect from Carter. I guess a few more explosive plays would be nice, but he has been fine. He is a good teammate and a solid 3rd down back. Not an RB1, but I don't think many expected him to be. He wasn't really at UNC either.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I think he can be a good third down, but he's definitely not a workhorse or a 1a/1b. He can catch it and he can turn the corner if the edge isn't set, and he can make a guy miss in space... But he can't run in between the tackles.

He seems to be a very high character/locker room guy so there's that

Acad23 likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

breece is kinda leaps and bounds above MC though. he has that top 5 ability if he can stay healthy. I worry with his injury next year he may look just ok at best. takes a couple years to bounce back.

Footballgod214, Cman68 and Mogriffjr like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

that has nothing to with breaking tackles.
    We know hall is better by a lot, his breakaway ability shoots up his YPC. O-line hasn't been good. breece has feasted in the open field. MC doesn't have that breakawy speed. doesn't mean he isn't capable of breaking tackles. I already showed you last year he was top 3 in the NFL in breaking tackles and he did it with a bad o-line. he hasn't had the chance to be featured this year because breece was better and because MLF is being smart in not using him as a workhorse. he can't hold up to it. breece will be the workhorse but MC is a very good 3rd down back. with breece out it'll be a 3 way split with bam, ty and mc.

boozer32 and 94Abraham like this.
  17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

We’ll what I think is special with Breece is his vision…he just has a great feel for finding the crease or the cutback and then he has the power to shed a tackle and the speed to go all the way to the house. Such a damn shame he got hurt…he was a legit home run threat whenever he got the ball

18. Jonathan_Vilma

You showed me a bullshit stat by a bullshit website that arbitrarily collects information based on guys watching the games just like you and me. I don’t see him breaking a lot of tackles or running through arm tackles.

I’m not sure you do either but you’re trotting out something you remember seeing.

Agreed. Maybe he just doesn’t have very good vision because he’s certainly not finding holes to get to the second level.

dawinner127 likes this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Carter likes trying to initiate contact way too much considering his frame. He needs to be more elusive, but I think he uses the contact to distract from his bad instincts.

I like him as a change of pace back and a dump off option, but he's not carrying any load, they should have been rotating the backs a lot more early. He does break some decent outside runs when the line is clicking.

20. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I think the Jets would be well served to move the duo of Ty Johnson and Bam Knight into the Breece Hall role and let Michael Carter go back to being the change of pace, 3rd down guy who can operate better in space than between the tackles.

Of course, Johnson and Knight aren't as talented as Hall has proven to be already in his short career, but they run hard between the tackles and, if the passing game continues to be competent (or better), as it was yesterday, it will free them up to help us have a more vertical running game, which is something that's been missing a bit since Hall went down. I absolutely loved the way that Knight was running yesterday. There were a couple of runs where he rammed himself into the middle of the Bears defense in a way that I think can only be described as violent. Pound him and Ty into the heart of the defense and then let Carter handle the other stuff, and we could potentially recapture some of that dominance on the ground that we've been missing since Hall went out with his injury.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.