Zach Benched

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Nov 23, 2022.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but on the flip side Zach was drafted to be our leader and the narrative from team leadership is the intent is that Zach WILL be the team leader again. So seeing how he handles his first real adversity is something that interests us as fans. However you wanna slice that, it wasn’t a very good look for him. Besides his lack of football knowledge he also has a ton of maturing to do. Both of his deficiencies are likely going to take years to overcome.

SOJAZ and LAJet like this.
  2. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I can see both sides but after having the week he just did and then apologizing like he meant it. Sunday wasn’t a good look for ZW. If you really cared about getting your job back wouldn’t you be taking in every info and stuff on sidelines. Or at least showing you cared while your team performed good or bad? That’s why I didn’t jump at everyone saying “ I’m so glad the kid realized he messed up and apologized” anyone could see that was a marketing thing they told him to do and he didn’t really want to. I never got that it was genuine from him at all

3. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

In general I think too much is made of off field issues, but when Zach had an alleged affair with his MOTHER's best friend, that set off huge character issues in my mind at the time, though I did not wish to then publicly comment.

Now, that combined with his lack of accepting accountability for poor performances, and his sideline demeanor when put together does not make a pretty picture.

Truthfully, there can only be one conclusion, and that is that NY is not a fit for Zach.....................end of story.

I hope he can mature and develop his talent, but it needs to be elsewhere.

Zach needs to be traded in the off-season for anything we can get for him. A 7th rounder is sounding good to me right now.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Dear god mute these threads now, embarrassing stuff.

5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

people are talking about white mike in his thread. this is the zach benched thread. hes going to be a topic of discussion

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Him looking miserable on the bench in the pouring rain and not looking at a tablet during a game that he's inactive for is not going to make or break his career.

We can talk about the optics of it all day long, and it admittedly isn't a good look for him, but it's much ado about nothing IMO.

At this point everyone might as well just forget that he was the 2nd overall pick because Zach certainly isn't playing like one. Doesn't mean his career is over. Hell, look at Mike White. Dude bounced around Dallas and our PS for 5 years now. Zach's story as an NFL QB isn't over but it's all up to him now. Hopefully he's doing everything he can to improve on the practice field and in film study because that's all that should matter to him right now.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely. Not to mention that a hand full of NFL approved tablets are provided to the coaches and some of the active players for each team. The presumption that he should have brought his own tablet, talk more, cheer more, show a happier face...OMG what a bunch of little league BS. Inactive players don't sit there studying from the feed during a game, they watch the game and feel the dynamics of it. Its studying film afterwards and practice that matters.
    Fact is, he wasn't ready this year, he had flashes but digressed under pressure, CS should have acted sooner, he showed his immaturity, he took a ton of shit for his actions and comments, he did the right thing and apologized to his teammates immediately afterwards. Done deal, time to move on.
    Now he will sit behind White and help any way he can with the practice squad. Enough said. Time to focus on White and hope his good performance continues. Options quickly dry up if he falters, and this team needs a burst of positive energy

#407 LAJet, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I am talking about. How do we know what an inactive QB, who was told to focus on fundamentals and not participate in game planning should or shouldn't have had at that specific moment? Zach disappointed with his performance, no doubt about it, and Mike really showed what this offense should look like, making a lot of players who were not happy before - happy. Perhaps it is natural to be all up in arms against him now, I just don't think it is deserved based on a few seconds of when he was shown without tablet or not celebrating during moments when all celebrations were already over anyways.

Mogriffjr and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Honestly while these looks and optics are not good, I care more about how he does on the field, and to date there’s been way more bad than good…

I also care about how he’s doing in practice, though we don’t get to see that fully. Reading between the lines especially GWs comments, it feels like he’s not much better in practice either.

until that changes and he shows real improvement, he should not see the field again…and especially if White continues to play well.

10. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

At the very least he should look interested in the game and interacting with teammates who are on the field battling I would think

NY Jets68, SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why be on the sidelines at all then? If he was told not to participate, he shouldn't have been there. Maybe he should have found himself a nice hot MILF to spend a rainy afternoon with instead.

12. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Wilson isn't playing again this season unless: (1) White gets injured; AND (2) Wilson cleans up his mechanics and plays better in practice; AND (3) Wilson mends whatever personality issues he has with coaches and teammates. Otherwise, it will be Flacco backing up White. More than anything, he's a Jet, so I want him to pull it together and succeed.

Looking at his sideline demeanor, the lack of a tablet, and/or MILFgate is unfair IMO. Who's to say how deep the personality problems run with Wilson - it was apparently a contributing factor to his benching, but we aren't privy to what goes on in the locker/meeting room or at practice. Getting benched and declared inactive must've been a shock and I would be pissed too. The important question is whether he can learn from it, get better at his craft, and become a great teammate. It's up to him.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I rest my case...

KY Jets Fan and Cman68 like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hopefully Zach continues to work hard in practice and is elevated to QB2 this week or next week. I think a week to reset his mind was necessary, but he also needs to prepare for football games. That is part of the process. One more week in street clothes is fine, but I would promote him back to QB2 for the Bills game at least.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh, part of the problem is that two of his receivers have been dancing around him not being very good dating back to Wilson’s comment about catchable balls in training camp.

This could mean he’s not a very good football player right now and his personality is fine. He could also rub people the wrong way since this has been intimated since he was drafted.

I don’t really think it’s that his personality is standoff-ish. He actually just strikes me as somewhat awkward and has trouble relating to his teammates. That doesn’t mean he’s a dick, but the kid has been extremely insulated his entire career. It’s tough outside the bubble and it’s even tougher in New York when you come from a place like Utah.

I go to Utah a lot for work and the people there (that aren’t California transplants) are extremely unique. Too kind almost to the point where it comes off awkward. They don’t trust “outsiders” easily and I’m not even talking about just the religious people.

16. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I think you could see the potential for awkwardness in his ability to handle teammates like a flashing neon sign prior to the draft. I was always rolling with whatever Douglas chose to do, so despite not being on the Wilson Train I wasn't someone who was sure the wrong choice was made or he was clearly an overdraft - he got selected and I was ready to roll with the Jets future FQB. But he absolutely had red flags to me in terms of his ability to lead and deal with adversity in a locker room of grown ass men playing football for a living.

Each of these issues, like him standing/sitting stoically on the sideline this Sunday, can usually be explained away by someone who wants to be optimistic or simply non-judgmental when examined at the micro level - it's easy to come up with a reasonable defense. Much like his on-field performance though, the macro view of what's being put together gives a different view of what's actually happening - each play/issue doesn't exist in a vacuum.

17. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to be why Zach can’t perfect his footwork? Is that really the only thing holding him back?

it just seems that aside from missing wash throws, he doesn’t have “touch” on the balls his foes get out, and that he is too scared of stepping up into the pocket.

can these things be taught?

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'll just come out an say it. Many of the players don't like Zach very much as a person or a player. He has zero leadership ability and walks around entitled. Only entitled players that can ball out are tolerated in the NFL. It was obvious last year too. Nobody talks to Zach. Nobody sits with him. Nobody is inspired by him. And nobody wants him behind center again. He's lost the team.

Acad23 likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yes, they can. Through repetition and hard work. Zach's issue is the mental game right now. You can be prepared, but when the lights go on, and all these big men are attacking you, can you respond? He can't handle it right now. He gets overwhelmed, and everything falls a part. Especially in the two Patriots games. That is why I still believe in Zach. If he overcomes that, which can be done, he has all the talent in the world. I have been waiting for it to click in his head, but it hasn't yet.

Seems a little harsh and general. Did you poll the other 52 guys? I am curious to see what the locker room really does think of Zach though. As a person. Of course you can be frustrated if you think he is holding the team back, but how is he off the field? I doubt it's the whole team, but some guys might not like him. If he plays well, they all would. It is a results oriented business. I did not see him much yesterday. Couldn't tell if he was excited for his teammates or how supportive he was after each drive.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You're one of the few on earth that didn't see the shots of Zach on the sidelines. I have a one word description for you: Miserable

The Dark Knight likes this.