Defense better be better then this

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, Nov 27, 2022.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I'm not happy with this defensive front. Today was bullshit. To many first downs and moving the ball easily. Do that shit again next week and we will lose. Even Detroit with their running backs and overall offense are gonna be tough. We have Buffalo and Miami on the road. Defense need step up even with a spark in Mike White today. Defense is gonna carry us till January

Jojo likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm really not that worried. This was a down game for the defense, and if this is what a down game looks like, we're in good shape.

IIMeanDeanII, PJ4Ever, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  3. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Too many open runs. Coming down the stretch for a playoff berth. This particular defense has to carry the offense, even with a new QB who has sparked the offense. This type of performance today won't get it done down the stretch.

Jojo likes this.
  4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Definitely were some gaps we hadn't seen from the front 7 in a while--tackling was the greatest either--nor was Sauce's coverage compared to the usual IMO. Def some things to work on this week.

Jojo likes this.
  5. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I’m more concerned with the coverage than the run D. We knew we weren’t gonna be ths great stopping the run until we get a true beefy DT and we have actually held up well. Not gonna let one week have me too concerned tho

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Huh? We were watching the same game? Aside from the first two drives, the defense stepped up and contained Siemian and this offense. Sauce gave up the long catch to Claypool but other then that, they only gave up the Dumpoffs to the RB’s (IMO the lone weakness is man coverage on the RB’s by the LB’s). 4.4 per rush isn’t great but I’d tend to believe the defense came out a tadbit feeling like they could roll the Bears offense and it didn’t work until they buckled down. I’m not in the least worried.

cmcm750203, PJ4Ever and Lon Chaney like this.
  7. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Have a feeling with Fields out, they didn't really know what to expect.

After the first TD we adjusted to what they were doing and did very well.

Bent in parts, let them run clock down with no big plays, bent but didn't break.

Spitting about a team giving up 10 points seems a bit off.

James Hasty and RevisIsland18 like this.
  8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Missing Rankins hurts this front 7 but i don't think it's concerning. The conditions were brutal out there. Hard to get a quick first step. Tough to tackle.

Like others said, once the CS figured out what CHI was doing they were able to stop them.

IDFjet, papapump and Cman68 like this.
  9. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I've noticed recently in the last couple games that the defensive tackling is poor. To the ops point, is we're going to win against teams like the Vikings we need to tackling better. I'm hoping Ulbricht gets on the player ass and gets them back performing the basics much better.

papapump and Lon Chaney like this.
  10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Don't disagree, but if it wasn't for Mikey Dimes yesterday we would have been in trouble. Too many yards allowed. They probably had a mental hangover from last week playing at such a high level and then getting pooped on by the Angel Moroni.

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Some of it was pretty sloppy. I don't know what's so difficult about bare basic wrap up clean tackling. It's become kind of antiquated art form or something and whenever I see it it's so refreshing I'm all Oh, Lordy, looky thar. It should be Defense 101 for Pete's Sake. When I see a flailing hand like someone's waving down a taxi and goofy jersey grabbing I go Jesus Christ, here comes it comes, where's my baseball bat because I've suddenly switched sports in the middle of a football game . . . only the bat is for beating.

12. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

LOVE WHINGEING AFTER A BIG WIN

Nyjets4eva, chandler and ukjetsfan like this.
  13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I see it as continuous improvement assessment--not whining. Everyone can be better--no one's down on the team.

Noam likes this.
  14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

They were preparing for Fields. Not Semien. It took them a while to get going but they got it under control.

15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This defense is very good but in today's NFL it is almost impossible to put together completely dominating games. Allowing 10 points is pretty impressive in my eyes, everything else is just stats. Statements like 'this won't work against x' are meaningless. We weren't playing x. We were playing the Bears and we limited them to 10 points. It was more than good enough to win.

Wanting perfection all the time and complaining when you don't get it is a recipe for misery. Those perfect games come around a few times a season if you're lucky. I don't know how any Jets fan could watch that game and not have a nice warm glow.

#15 ukjetsfan, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Mogriffjr, Losmeister and PJ4Ever like this.
  16. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

If you look at the team offensive stats of the opposing teams from the Dolphins to the Bears the Jets defense has been very consistent.
    Total Yards:
    Dolphins 295
    Packers 279
    Broncos 260
    Patriots 288
    Bills 317
    Patriots 297
    Bears 292

Cman68 likes this.
  17. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

2 "mossed" catches in the opening frame ... wasnt a sustainable approach to O

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

What? No average??? Shame on you!!!!!!!!

CaptainCap likes this.
  19. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Holy Schnikes!! I can understand one would say defense was not the usual self like the last 4/5 games but man the team gives up a total of 13 points in 2 games, sign me up for that!!!
    The defense ranked the top in lowest points allowed since week 4 or whenever that stats showed. Ask the Patriots if the Bears offense is a joke.

Moving on, to a big game vs the Vikings.

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Which part were you not happy with?

The 10 points allowed which is 5.7 pts lower than the best D in the league allows per game
    Or
    The 292 total yards which is just behind what the #1 D in the league allows per game
    Or
    The 165 passing yards which is lower that the top D in the league allows per game
    Chicago was also held to 25% fewer 1st downs than they average

It looked like the D practiced as if Fields was going to be playing and the idea was to limit the big runs, this meant they were going to give up a few 8-12 yd runs. They still only gave up about 16 yards more rushing than they average.