The Mike White Era Begins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Acad23, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He hasn't just showed up. He's put numbers on the board that most QB's can't.

In Mike White's case this is because the Jets have set up an offense in which his strengths stand out and his weaknesses are minimized. However you do that for most QB's and they still can't put good numbers up because minimizing their weaknesses requires a very conservative game plan. Example being ZW who when the Jets minimized his weaknesses they basically took away all the scoring potential in the offense.

I would say the odds are pretty good Mike White is a starting caliber QB in the NFL and given enough actual game experience he might be a very good one. That's because his ceiling performances are above what most QB's are capable of.

I'm not saying he's an All-Pro talent. I'm just saying that his abilities and Kirk Cousins abilities are probably pretty similar and I think White's ceiling might be higher.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

no I didn’t know that. Nothing is personal here, I don’t even know the guy

3. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I don't think Zach will get there.

4. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Happy for him. He played well today. Looked prepared and looked like a leader out there.

5. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Some more glowing stats from the Jets young signal caller.

From Rich Cimini:

White is the first quarterback in NFL history to have multiple games with at least a 75% completion rate, 300 passing yards and three touchdowns within his first four career starts. He did it last season in Week 8 against the Cincinnati Bengals in his first career start.

6. Br4d

It would be really unusual if this was not an indicator of the basic talent level to start at QB successfully in the NFL.

Again, not saying he is a great player but the odds are really high at this point that he has the basic competencies you need to win games in the NFL.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he plays controlled and decisive. It’s so refreshing

8. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I want to thank Mike White sincerely. It was inspiring to watch a Jets quarterback actually play brilliantly and contribute to a big win.

9. Br4d

And he's very accurate. I'd love to see him in the modified Erhardt-Perkins the Patriots ran under Brady and still run. That offense is designed to shred the defense by having individual defenders isolated and giving them tough choices. Put 3 route trees like that out at the same time and usually somebody is running free and the QB just has to find them.

10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I’m not talking about individual performances I’m talking about the hope that we the fans and the organization have with finding a diamond in the rough as a long term starting QB. Yes we’ve gone done this road …. The whole premise of my original statement was basically I’d like to see White do this or at least perform positively in these next two games - tough opponents on the road. I didn’t say he can’t. I hope he can - we all do. Put up decent numbers, take care of the ball, and hopefully the Jets can pull at least one of these games out.

I like what I have seen from White but with everything us Jets fans have been through over the years I need to see him put together a nice little string of good games …

11. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Pitch and catch. That's what the Jets needed that's what they got.

KY Jets Fan and Br4d like this.
  12. JETFUEL1580

I just want an offense that moves effortlessly and doesn't make me nervous. Mike White deserves to start for the rest of the season, good or bad. I want to see what the guy has with this defense and skilled offense guys around him. Mind you we are missing great talent on offense. Still better then what we had last season.

13. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Jet fans dont want to except that two of his 4 starts stack up against some the the best qb games in jet history but "but lets give him the next game".

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This might be one of my favorite quote videos of a QB we have had give ever on the Jets. Empower others, put them in position to succeed. Trust them, it's how I personally feel make great leaders

#234 Poeman, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  15. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Two 300+ yds/3 TD games in four starts is a helluva ceiling, especially for a guy some labeled "Checkdown Charlie".

16. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

True leader so humble you can see he had to work for everything he had in life unlike Zacky Poo, Joe Douglas got a 2nd for Sam Darnold, if he even gets a 2nd or 3rd for Zack Wilson ship him out of town asap. Last years 2nd round pick turned into Breece. If you can get draft capital for a guy who should noteven be in the Nfl do it 1st chance you get.

#236 george sakell, Nov 27, 2022
    Poeman, SackRecord99 and Since1969 like this.
  17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I feel like Matt Cassel might be a good comp for Mike White. And Cassel won games in the NFL all across the country.

18. JETFUEL1580

Boy that Mike White had a 149.3 QB rating. That boy was damn near perfect, and he ain't even played all year. What was Zach's best QB rating again?

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sorry guys. I know I’ve been adamant in staying away from character attacks on Wilson but I can’t resist this.

Maybe Wilson was doing it but they never showed it. Today Mike White would trot to the sideline, touchdown or punt and dap up Jermaine Johnson, commiserate with Tyler Conklin or discuss what happen with CJ Uzomah. Maybe the camera angles never showed Wilson doing that but the camera angles certainly showed White doing that.

It was striking to see him hugging defensive players. That’s crazy for an undrafted free agent QB who literally should suck.

#239 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 27, 2022
    egelband, Ralebird, Acad23 and 3 others like this.
  20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I can’t even see JD getting a second or a third for Zach at this point. The only way would be if Zach finds the field again and has a couple of good games to bring his stock back up. I don’t see that happening unless injuries strike.