MLF

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JackBower, Oct 23, 2022.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think the opposite... Look for slants, & screens and to let the guys get YACs, then open some play action.

The basics that have been missed

azhar80 and Cman68 like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You mean the updated version of the WCO? MLF just might be a unknown master of it and just needed a QB who could run it.

azhar80 and stinkyB like this.
  3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

True, but he is responsible for coaching him up and teaching him what to look for and recognize in reading the defense and what to do on the plays he calls. So yes Zach sucks but MLF should know that already if he is doing his job in practice.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Look at Pavia's film breakdown of Miami. There are some high level reads in that game. He was seeing the field and playing at a really high level. Arguably his best game up there with the Tampa and Jax as his best played games. When he trusts his reads he plays at a very high level. Or look at the 3rd and 4th quarters against Pitt and look at what Zach was doing with his eyes to Fitzpatrick. Some really aware high level QBing. But, then compare that film to some of Pavia's other breakdowns where Zach makes a mistake then starts hesitating and quickly everything breaks down. It is the same problem he had early last year when Saleh kept saying said he just needs to learn to relax trust and let it go. Saleh said at some point it will click for him and he will just play and not think. I think it is fair to say the mental issues under pressure will never fix itself. Rather, they are likely to just compound on themselve and get worse until he is completely unable to function like Sunday.

Everything, I see from him looks to me like someone who cannot handle the pressure. No offense to him as that happens to most young QBs but at least in my eyes it said he is done. Maybe, a benching, time to mentally regroup could spur a change like what happened at BYU after season 2 but again I would argue that we have seen enough to make a judgment that it is extremely unlikely he can fix his mental issues and learn to relax and just play. My fear is we will have to watch 3 years of him continuing to regress. He was a lot lot better the last 7 games of last year than the 7 games of this year. There has been significant regression. But, that often happens to failed QBs that don't make a 2nd year jump. Instead they jump backwards.

stinkyB likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He probably did..

6. burf

burf Well-Known Member

People need to see the big picture... what is Zach being taught?
    If you don't understand the concept I proposed above, while I don't agree with Michael Kaye very often, let him explain... starting around 8mins 58secs of this clip...

7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well, LeFleur has had Zach for 2 years now, 2 training camps, and the very basic stuff he is still missing. That is on coaching. I don't want to see Flacco either. I would rather go with Mike White. Zach has more weapons than any Jets QB in the last 10 years maybe 20 years and his play last week was horrible.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  8. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

How in the world do you teach someone to not a miss receiver wide open 2 yards away by 5 yards? Oh ya I forgot it is "windy as hell out there" every game Zack Wilsons flaws are now solved. It's mother natures fault.

9. Cman68

It was criminal not having a true QB guru on the staff for ZW. I know Knapp's death was unexpected but he wasn't replaced with another true QB developer. MLF has his hands full designing game plans and Calabrese has some experience grooming QB's but his results so far with the Jets has been minimal at best with Wilson. To his credit, Calabrese had played QB at a college level so at least he knows what Qb's should be about.

Now would I trade Calabrese for Warner? There's no substitute for experience so yes, I would swap them in a NY sec.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  10. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

The same way other good coaches have solved perennial problems that qb’s have. Parcells realized Vinny threw most of his INTs when scrambling so he put a stop to it in practice and drilled it into his head. These guys coaching Zach have zero experience coaching up qb’s. MLF was given this job because Shanahan’s offense was the new McVay’s offense a few years ago so that got brother hired and now him. Dude has zero resume. Teaching mechanics is one of the first things these coaches should be doing but they all seem to just want to wow people with their playbooks instead.

KY Jets Fan, red75bronco and Cman68 like this.
  11. cmcm750203

Happy feet and not wanting to get killed might be in the kids head. I can agree with not being able to coach that. Over or under throwing passes seems to be a very coachable skill. As does not throwing the ball 800 mph on a screen pass but he still does that too.

12. Cman68

Was Joey Harrington this bad? I really don't remember..

cmcm750203 likes this.
  13. cmcm750203

I don’t remember a thing about Harrington other than he was on a huge billboard in Manhattan and he was a humongous bust.

14. Cman68

Kept getting his brains beat in by a dysfunctional Lions OLine. Became shellshocked to the point he would scramble from his reflection in the bathroom mirror.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  15. cmcm750203

Strikingly similar stats though

Cman68 likes this.
  16. Cman68

and that factoid should scare the shit out of any Wilsonian.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  17. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Isn't it amazing how much better a OC looks when he has a QB who can complete passes

Jojo, Brook!, REVISion and 4 others like this.
  19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

This is the game MLF has been calling all year. MLF is a great schemer, his play design is absolutely fantastic. He needs some work on his play calling at times but his schemes are stellar. All he needs is a competent QB.

SOJAZ, JohnnyP123456, Brook! and 5 others like this.
  20. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

At least for a week mlf doubters need to eat crow!

KY Jets Fan and Jets69 like this.