Zach Benched

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Nov 23, 2022.

1. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I suspect that the real reason for the benching and reset, above the press commnetrs and generally poor play, was the BB exposed the Jets. He sold out to stop the run and exposed his D to the pass, confident in his secondary and that pressure would cause Zach's inconsistencies to prevent the Jets functioning effectively on O. It worked twice, in different ways too. Everyone has seen that now. Everyone would try to copy it. Not all successfully perhaps. That's what Bellichick does.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

House of Cards on offense...

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Personally I have zero use for most media feedback. It’s up to the team to create a culture of success. Screw the media. The media particularly in NY does no just tell us what’s going on. They like to drive controversy. Reporting days are gone for ever. They print mostly what sells first and foremost. Controversy sells, just doing your job on the field doesn’t. Bad performance is sexier to sell than average performance. The wrong comment in the heat of battle can destroy a career. A nice complimentary comment is hardly ever noticed and quickly forgotten. Success on the field sells, reminders of long term failure sells even more. Even after a career of stellar success in NE the wizard media first question to BB after a bad outing was “ Did you think of benching Brady” LoL. Idiotic at best by got plenty of traction.
    Say what you will, but the media is not there to report the facts above all,, is there to create the story line that sells, factual or speculative.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I will fully support Mike White tomorrow, but one last thing I have to say: This is an odd week to bench Zach Wilson. The Bears game has "get right" game written all over it. Playing a bad defense and the Bears likely using their back-up QB, Zach would have had a great chance for his best performance of the season. Instead, Mike White should have a solid day and some fans will say "Look! This is how the Jets offense should be! Zach held them back!" despite the fact they just got finished playing the Broncos D, Bills D and Patriots D twice the last month. Tough for any QB.

It was a perfect storm. Losing to the Patriots twice. Only scoring 3 points last week. Throwing some horrendous passes in the game. Not taking the blame post-game. Truly unfortunate luck for Zach, but a lot of it he brought on himself.

I think the better way to handle it would have been Saleh benching Zach in the 3rd or 4th Q last week, and then letting him get back on track this week. Saleh took a different approach. We will see how it all goes.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree that he deserved to be benched in that 3rd quarter but honestly I’m tired of hearing how we’ve played the best defenses…it’s the NFL we’re going to have to play good defenses.

to me the issue is more the piss poor accuracy and utter inability to make the simple passes and the too often missing of open receivers. That didn’t have anything to do with the quality of the defenses we played…that was just 100% on him. I’m sick of it…I’m sick of watching him bounce passes and sail them over their heads

and that has been an issue since day 1…

PennyRoyal10, IDFjet, Jets81 and 3 others like this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Totally agree--so much on the board about Belichick outsmarting Zach and the jets. Good brief--in the first game against the Pats the turning point IMO was when Zack had Conklin WIDE OPEN not more than 10 yards ahead of him. Instead of stepping into the throw, Zach airmailed a pass off his back foot a mile above and ahead of Conklin where it was easily picked. I think ANY other QB in the league could have completed that pass. Zach has shown basically nothing with the jets and it was PAST time to look at White or someone else. Your draft position should only go so far in determining playing time.

Centiment and Jets79 like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I believe that many, perhaps most here do not understand the changes that have occurred in journalism over the last twenty years or so. A Journalism class today must be far different from one of the not too distant past. For print media there were always two different people who told us about sports as well as news and the arts. Reporters reported what happened, normally quite dryly ie. "Joe Smith went off tackle behind Frank Jones from the thirteen yard line for the winning score with 1:13 left on the clock."

The same paper would generally also have a columnist to offer his opinion on the game and during the week. His commentary might include the value of keeping both Smith and Jones, their history and their value. The columnist is there to give his opinion on what's going on behind the scenes and there is nothing improper about that. Recent consolidation in the news industry has often had one writer performing both jobs and for some it is difficult to differentiate when they are reporting and when they are offering opinion. Ideally, it would not occur in the same piece but a separate byline.

Asking probing questions has always been the job of both to get inside the thought process of the subjects. The blowup question of the week to Wilson was a question that had to be asked by any standard as were the follow-up with other players. I want to know what's going on, you do and every guy on this site does.

The other,probably much larger change is the proliferation of social media which rarely goes beyond the old job of the headline writer - they were there to get your attention and have you read the story. What has remained the same however is that management, coaches and players are the ones responsible for the outcome on the field where careers are made or broken and no writer or their electronic media counterparts can alter that outcome.

#227 Ralebird, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    LAJet likes this.
  8. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

why isz it that ALL the SELL THE TEAM posters seems to have the same "tone" ....

SELL THE TEAM bots?

I must have a cool dozen on ignore

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken that is the default for those who have not bothered to select anything for themselves, including many new posters

Jets81 and papapump like this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

he probably won't see this reply lol

11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

You answered your own question, DK. He sealed his fate by not even THINKING about taking the blame. Saleh is coaching a team full of grown men on a collective mission. He had no choice but to slap Zach down, get-well-game be damned.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The people that talk the most about their ignore list are the ones that complain about people that are supposedly on their ignore list. Always.

MoWilkBeast, IDFjet, Jets81 and 2 others like this.
  13. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Man, this is really eye-opening to me. You can see Jackson trying to soft pedal his response, and he still couldn't hold it back.

"When you're not the most likeable guy..."

14. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

It’s also not fair to throw a very average MW against a high powered minny or buffalo offense first.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He should have benched him at the end of the third quarter and go for the win. Making a change knowing he was completely off his game and unraveling. The room full of grown men would have praised him for doing what it takes to win. Press conference was nothing but insult to injury after a devastating defeat that didn’t need to be. That’s what a top HC would have done. If he did that, the whole press conference by a rattled and struggling 23 year old not mature enough to deal with it would have been meaningless.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Zach Kapono Wilson has a big hill to climb...

17. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I never knew his middle name, it’s horrible if that’s it. No wonder he struggles in the NFL it’s gotta be that. We gotta draft guys with better names

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's an old traditional Hawaiian name.

It means "haole who throws coconut wildly into sand"...

IDFjet, Jets69, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  19. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

coconuts are similar to footballs no wonder he so wild

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

:D:D:D:D