Zach Benched

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Nov 23, 2022.

1. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Saleh's goal is multiple SBs.
    Multiple SBs requires a FQB.
    A FQB requires an organization that develops high ceiling QB prospects.

Saleh needs to be held ACCOUNTABLE for answering the following to ensure we're progressing toward the stated goal:
    1. What, specifically, is being done to help ZW reset?
    2. What experience for developing QBs is in the building? Why did we not bring back John Beck after Zach's successful year 1 reset.
    3. With MLF as a first-time OC, and you having no OC experience, who in the building can challenge MLF and help him improve?
    4. What have MLF and Rob Calabrese done to work on Zach's mechanics & mindset? Prior to the NE game when it was clear he was regressing.
    5. Were we outcoached by BB? What have we learned from the past 4 games against BB that shows we're growing and have a chance to ever beat this team?

#201 rscherwin, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  2. rscherwin

Belichek stole his soul in the ghost game.

3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

1. Hopefully they’re slowly walking him out the door and then locking it behind him.
    2. Successful year 1 reset? Zach sucked last year too.
    3. Give him a competent QB. The play calls are working, receivers are getting open.
    4. See answer to 1
    5. Everyone is out-coached by Belicheck.

SOJAZ, twown and Jets4eva9011 like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I would expect him to be able to play competently based on what we saw in the pre-season. No idea if he has a chance to be a plus player because he was mostly playing against street meat in his appearances.

The CFL creates a sense of urgency in players because you only get 3 downs instead of 4. This means you never see an offense looking for 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust. Whether Streveler can dial his tendencies down some may be key in whether he can be a decent NFL QB.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Any chance zw makes like Willke Beamon when he got sat for Cap Rooney and comes back better than ever?

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd be more confident in ZW if he puked before the first series every game so we could see his nerves on display instead of having them come out on 50% of the snaps.

MoWilkBeast, twown and Jets69 like this.
  7. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Isn’t this exactly what they asked him to do? Take no chances ever?

ColoradoContrails and rscherwin like this.
  8. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

To be fair to him, and I’d still throw it, but Mims ability to catch doesn’t exactly elicit confidence from me

9. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

That was all ZW bro. He's a goner here and in the NFL. He's too inconsistent, let it go. And he knows it himself. He's just not good enough – and that's why he was afraid to say he sucked to the NY media.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Right now, he is inconsistent and he knows it. That much is true. The rest is simply your opinion based on some self proclaimed ability to forecast the future of a 23 year old with 20 games and even better, to know what he was actually thinking and feeling when he spoke to the media. Amazing powers.

11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

In regards to Belicheat and the Patriots the Jets lost both games in 2021 by a combined score of 79-23 a deficit of 56 points. This year was 32-20 only 12. If anything this shows a shift in talent and if not for a bad call by the refs and an extremely bad performance by the QB playing behind a banged up OL at least one of those losses turns into a win.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that Zach is fixable. The only question I have is: DO the Jets have the ability and commitment to fix him? If the answer to that is no, for whatever reason, then the Jets remain a sink hole for QBs, especially young ones, which in an era defined by strong - if not great - QB play, is inexcusable.

And no I'm not excusing Zach's role in all of this. obviously he needs to improve, but if the Jets "break" another QB it won't be by coincidence or bad luck. And maybe I'm just old, tired, and grumpy, but if that's the case, fuck the Jets.

JetFanInNE and red75bronco like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Former Jets CB Lamar Jackson with some candid observations

Snatch Catch and IDFjet like this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You do realize you're making a case to bring in a vet qb and sending Zach a-packing... o_O

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I’m just stoked to know that easy throws wide open in the flat won’t be at players feet on Sunday. Looking forward to Mike white playing decent enough to not lose us the game. Haven’t been able to say that for most of the year

#215 Nyjets4eva, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    SOJAZ likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He was doing that in practice. Remember the whole “seeing what he could get away with” during training camp thing? I do. He was playing bad then and made an excuse. Should have been one of the first red flags.

17. rscherwin

He's making the case that if the Jets organization doesn't hold itself accountable to develop a FQB, then we'll never achieve the stated goal of multiple super bowls. And if they don't do that, then f*ck the Jets. After ruining 3 franchise QBs in 12 years, I'm there too.

In 30+ years of rooting for this team, we've had ONE year where we were in the NFL top ten in points scored. That is unforgivable. As is drafting 4 FQB prospects in 12 years and not holding itself accountable to ensure we're investing to support that potential.

Maybe if our team didn't pander to the media, the media wouldn't pander to the team. It's too easy for the media to create and amplify unhelpful narratives than writing a real story. Is the butt fumble how Sanchez should be remembered? Should Geno have been run out of town after a teammate punched him? Is Zach really not holding himself accountable, or does he lack media training and consider Zack Rosenblatt, Rich Cimini, and Connor Hughes media low lifes that ask gotcha questions?

Zach might suck, but I'd say it's more likely an issue with QB development and local impatience creating unreasonable pressure, than it is that we've drafted 4 losers in 12 years. If we can't develop a QB, we'll never achieve our stated goals.

[​IMG]

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Sorry to disagree as we are usually on the same page, but I have come full circle with Zach. IMHO, he is not fixable. You cannot blame this on the Jets, Joe did everything under the sun to surround Zach with the tools to enable success.

To me the gargantuan red flag is that somehow he has regressed and not progressed. I was among those who loved Zach in the draft and bought the excuses and development story last season. It is simply no longer possible. The mechanics and field vision are simply too screwed up. This season I expected a nice progression towards being an average NFL QB with hope for stardom ahead. Those expectations have been simply dashed.

Zach is humpty dumpty and cannot be put back together.

Yeah, I really hope you have the correct take on this one, but I do not see it that way.

19. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Richard Sherman wants a word with you.

While he may be an ass, he does bring up a good point between Sauce and ZW.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The Jets haven't ruined three or four franchise quarterbacks, they haven't had a franchise quarterback in decades. Just because a guy is first in the depth chart doesn't even get him close to being a franchise quarterback. Draft position means absolutely nothing when the guy steps in the field. First, let's just look for competence.

The media is not a gremlin or a boogie man - the media is just people telling us what is going on. They don't draft players, train players or create game plans. If the truth is ugly, and it often is here, it is still the truth. If anyone in the Jets organization is intimidated by the media they need to find a new line of work. And people here need to throw away forever the tired wimpy idea that anyone in the media ever put a single point on the scoreboard or took one off.