Where's the love for the front office in this?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 24, 2022.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

How many idiot GM's and HC's have the Jets had in the past that would constantly walk their pick right out on the field? Regardless, of how poorly that QB is playing he gets the nod. Purely out of arrogance, Tannenbaum, Idzik, and Macagnan they constantly double down on bad QB's. Like what the public and passionate fanbase can plainly see isn't real. And trust me, for any of those younger fans, placing your ego ahead of team goals is a very real thing. Without looking I'm sure there's plenty of other examples out there with other NFL teams.

Saleh and Joe Douglas deserve a great big helping of respect for swallowing their pride, ego, arrogance, and whatever the fuck else you want to call it for not hesitating in benching Zach. If this were Tannenbaum and Rex they'd be walking Zach back out there until hell freezes over just like they did with Sanchez in 2012.

Most normally, CAREERS are riding on the QB you choose. You've all heard the old adage said over and over again. You heard when Zach was drafted. Joe Douglas‘s career will forever be linked to Zach Wilson. If he fails? Douglas and Saleh get fired. That's pretty much always been the norm in the NFL.

Now, you can complain that you don't think the timing was soon enough. I'm sure there's a million armchair GM's that always knew better. They're just unhired, undiscovered geniuses of the NFL lol.

What's most important is that when it was most obvious that Zach needed to sit. The HC and GM did not stutter or hesitate. They did what was best for the New York Jets. That is, and forever will be, the most important thing.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I agree with the move but I'm not quite ready to toss accolades at those who got the team into this mess to begin with.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I agree with the move but I'm not quite ready to toss accolades at those who got the team into this mess to begin with.

Br4d likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We'd still have the problem if ZW hadn't said the wrong thing to the press on Sunday.

5. NYJ1970

I disagree. That's nonsense. His remarks after the game were just the icing on the cake. His play spoke louder than anything else. He was HORRID in that game. Regardless, of his comments he gets benched after a day like that....

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Good point really. I think this move comes because both Joe D and Saleh have enough credit to survive the Zach mess even if Zach busts.

7. NYJ1970

Oh, so the very successful team that JD and Saleh built has nothing to do with the situation? That's absurd. The ONLY reason why we're having this conversation is because Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh built an EXCELLENT up and coming team that started winning WAY sooner than anyone thought. Stop trying to make it sound like it's one singular event....

jackie1013, PJ4Ever, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  8. NYJ1970

100% agreed Brook. I don't believe they get fired for missing on Zach either because they've done so much other good for the team. They've built a confident, winning culture in the locker room. That's all their doing. So it was important, in a case like this, that Saleh and JD collectively put their egos aside and insist on doing what's right for the team. Even if that meant causing some embarrassment to their standing...

JetFanInNE, azhar80, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Agreed. Now all we need is a good QB play in 2023 to be a rock solid team. Hope either Zach develops enough to be that guy or we bring in a game manager vet like Garappolo or Carr

JetFanInNE, Jets79 and NYJ1970 like this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Saleh was going to take him out based on his play he would have done it during the game.

ZW was totally protected from being benched until he opened his mouth and said two simple words that made him toxic in the locker room. No choice after that.

His dad texted him right after that asking what he was doing because everybody knew he was protected from play based mistakes.

11. NYJ1970

Yep. And it's unfortunate if they missed on Zach, but to your point, this team is good enough everywhere else to make up for a QB that isn't in the top 10.....

JetFanInNE and PJ4Ever like this.
  12. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Whether people like it or not, the jets need ZW to get better and become the QB. MW does not have the talent to play in NFL and Flacco has already shown to not be the guy at the beginning of the year. Jets should be fine against the bears, but Vikings and Bills could be brutal. He had to be sat down because of the comments. If it was just bad play,they do not make him inactive. No different than Moore. They set the precedent and I am sure the locker room expects players to be treated the same. If you are selfish you sit, but I have no delusions that MW is a savior for the season or team.

Nyjets4eva and Red Menace like this.
  13. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Only reason why he got benched was because of his comments, if Saleh trotted him out again he woulda lost the locker room and would be fired at the end of the season. Sanchez got benched for Greg Mccleroy before. This is nonsense because when it comes down to it Wilson shoulda be benched in game vs Patriots and we woulda won that game, so in my mind Saleh still don't have any balls.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's a welcome change from the past, I'll say that. The timing could have been better, and it's almost admitting that he should have sat in the first place, but at least it shows some measure of conviction and a decent set of priorities.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think people have raised their opinions of the FO a lot over the season. I know I have, and I'm grateful for this meaningful season. But this is also just 11 games. We didn't put Mac and Bowles in the HOF for the one record setting 10-6 season. The FO's rep will be earned over the next season or two.

Jets81, NYJ1970 and PJ4Ever like this.
  16. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Saleh is not an idiot. He factored in all the circumstances, gave Zoomer Zach just enough rope to hang himself and...there you go...

Best to keep Zach and his toxic attitude on the inactive list for the rest of the season to see if it teaches him a lesson. If you keep ZW off the field, what do you have to lose? The worst statistical NFL starter who has a better chance of losing you a game than winning it?

Let Zach start anew next season with a fresh attitude to see if he can get his junk together. If the kid can show some spunk and rebound, then we might have something there. If he comes back next season and completely stinks up the joint once again, then it would be best to cut him loose. The Jets competitive level has progressed to the point where you can discard an overall #2 without blinking an eye and not having to worry about losing your job.

Ultimately, I doubt if Saleh or JD give a crap about what the fans or media think about them. However, I am sure Saleh does care about what the other guys in the locker room think, and has probably won some respect from them for not letting Zach slide here.

The alternative of supporting a QB who skirts responsibility for his poor play by being curt and dismissive no less, was obviously a non-starter for the Jets' brass. If anything, nice to finally see a coaching staff and front office which practices common sense and does not bury their heads in the sand when shit hits the fan.

JetFanInNE, NYJ1970 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  17. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Yeah Saleh did this to keep respect of the locker room, if Zack doesn't make those stupid comments post game 100% he is starting this week, after taking no accountability he had no choice to bench him, expect Elijah Moore, Garrett Wilson, and the defense to go out there this Sunday and play lights out knowing that Saleh has their back. Things like this make teams much closer.

TheCleaner likes this.
  18. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

He got benched because he is the worst qb in the league. He is inactive because of his comments after the game.
    I agree that he should have been benched at halftime or at worst at the end of the 3rd qtr and we have a chance at winning. I'm not sure we win, but we definitely have a better chance than we had with zach in there.

TheCleaner, Jets81, NYJ1970 and 4 others like this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Look.. I want this team to just win . Zach has a poor attitude and poor play ...that's on him

Ths CS did the right thing benching this kid ..the Team was also ready to revolt

So atm I all behind Mike White to get us winning..if not him then Strevelor

But please let's not let a possible Wild Card spot slip by us..that's the Goal imo

20. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I don’t think that Carr could cope with NY. Jimmy G will be to expensive. Minshew would be my choice. He’s only 27 and would provide some good competition.

Nyjets4eva likes this.