Zach Benched

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I want to believe that but if it were really the case, why’d they wait until Wednesday?

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Took Geno over 5 years to get where he is today with several stops under different HC's. I can see Zach coming around in about 3-5 years down the road if he's dedicated to his craft. If not, he's Johnny Manziel 2.0

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Zack never earned his starting role, it was gifted to him based on draft status, but he certainly earned his benching.

4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

IT'S WHITIN' TIME!!!!111

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Usually teams watch the film and recover on Monday and then take Tuesday off. So regardless of the reason for benching Zach/making him inactive, it makes sense that they wouldn't announce it until Wednesday.

All Gas No Shake and Dierking like this.
  6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

ten years, but who's counting ;)

NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I agree.
    I am not even talking about this year Geno. He learned from his time here, became a better teammate and player and was able to hang around as a back up in the league because of it. I am not sure that Zach has got what it takes to put the work in.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Has it been 10? Holy Shit!!

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Obviously the right move. He needs to think about what he said on Sunday and getting the basics down when on the field.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

TBH he never earned his draft position.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

No, it’s about him needing a complete break if he is to have a chance at resetting. If he’s the backup he could be in after one play and that would be no use to him at all.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Geno is in the MVP race. Maybe not seriously, but it's not like he's on a totally stacked team that is carrying him either.

Some QBs just don't get a fair shake when they enter the league because the teams drafting them are in that position due to incompetence. The Jets have been one of those teams for a while.

Pepsiguy5 and Section 336 like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I completely agree, and also agree that making him inactive and letting him focus on doing that is the right call. I also think he should've been pulled last Sunday at the half or certainly after the 3rd or 4th "3 and out". That's on Saleh and MLF. Zach went out and tried his best and tried to execute the game plan they gave him. He obviously couldn't do that, so they should've pulled him and tried to win the game.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is a good point. Who is the backup?

In Whites 4 games he missed time in 3 of them. The backup could very likely see at least some action.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

White starts.. Flacco Is the backup according to the Saleh presser.

KY Jets Fan and ouchy like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree. For Zach to ride the pine for a while is a must, and I was very vocal about that. I said the better move was to pull him in the fourth quarter of last game. We would be 7-3 and with a hell of a lot less drama. The development of Zach moving forward is troublesome to me. He absolutely needs a top QB mentor to take him under his wing, get inside his head and fix the mental issues that prevent him from using his God given talents properly and confidently. He no longer trusts his instincts, his reads, his throws, and he is playing scared to throw an interception beyond all else. I think the CS has got him completely flustered. Flacco is useless as a mentor, I don't believe he is even remotely interested, MLF is still green and not able to get to Zach, and watching White won't help much, because he will learn some bad habits as well as some good stuff. We attempted that last year and then disbanded it because MLF did not want another voice. Bad, bad decision. Someone like Warner or Chad or Steve Clarkson or Nagy could really turn this kid around big time.

17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

What an opportunity for MW--it must be a dream come true--hope he makes the most out of it--at least he can say he gave it his all and got the chance to be a starter in the NFL.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is exactly why the move had to be made. ZW probably still does not understand that he is the weakest link on this Jet's team and at the most important position.

NYJetsO12, Since1969 and REVISion like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They had no choice. That's a very good defense out there and some fine skill position players. If you let ZW continue to sabotage the team you run the risk of losing all of them.

20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I agree with you in a sense that I did not like him as a prospect at all. I hate one year wonders, especially at QB, and most especially when their level of competition is not very good. That said I could certainly see why prospects felt he had potential, and in a QB starved league where not having a great QB means not having a SB caliber team I can understand why GM’s start ignoring obvious red flags.

With such a young inexperienced leadership team I expect them to make mistakes, but I also expect them to learn from them. Handing Zach the starting job from day one was a disaster. He was not even close to being ready for that. He needs to learn the game and the concepts of the strategies. Stepping in from BYU to the NFL is like playing Pac Man at level one and then going to level 100 without working your way there.

For Zach to overcome this he needs to take a good hard look at his work ethic and ask himself how much he loves the game. You don’t have such poor mechanics that he’s exhibited if you’re grinding and working your ass off everyday. If he’s serious about his future in the NFL and becoming a starter he’ll need to spend this entire offseason on nothing but football. He needs to wake up working on mechanics and fundamentals and spend every night studying film and understanding the concepts of football in such a manner that he actually knows what the D will do before the D even does. He needs to work like he never has before in his life. His talent is not nearly good enough on its own. Personally I don’t think he has that kind of drive.