Realistic QB Targets for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

This guy can not beat out Andy Dalton ,enough said. The AFC east might be the best division in the NFL The Bills and Dolphins are much more complete teams than us Add a guy like Mineshew or Winston and we are still the 3rd best team in the division

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ton-limited-in-practice-with-his-back-injury/

It's not a question of can't beat out. It's a question of why the Saints didn't IR him to deal with the back injury, instead keeping him on the field with it for a couple of games.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

What do you think the cost differential would be between Carr & Minshew?

I think the money Minshew would save would be well spent by Douglas.

papapump likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

At this point, despite that so many here have given up on Zach, there's no sign from JD or Saleh that they have. Until they indicate that, the only change in the QB I see happening is they sign a decent vet to compete/push Zach next year. They won't be drafting a QB unless JD thinks he's found a "nugget" in the mid to late rounds, which after the miss with Morgan I'd think he'd think twice about.

But if they have decided that Zach needs a lot more work and needs to sit and learn, my personal choice would be a trade for Rodgers. Signing Brady for a year or two also might be a possibility but I'm not sure he'd want to play for the Jets...OTOH, he might well want to just to have a chance to rub BB's nose in it. I can see where Jimmie G makes sense, but as expensive as he'll likely be, I don't see him winning the SB for them. Carr might be a possibility along the lines of Alex Smith with KC, but even if the Jets could identify the next Mahomes, who would coach him and mold him like Reid did?

So getting back to a competent vet to push/compete with Zach, Minshew's probably the best fit for that role of the FAs.

No one should get their hopes up that the Jets are giving up on Zach yet.

#204 ColoradoContrails, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    Borat and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

probably because he isn't going anywhere - they just named him their starter over Wentz

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Meh. Many teams have done It over the years. It's not impossible, It's just hard to hit on an actual FQB. Period. Talent will always be higher at the top of the draft, just the way It Is from an evaluation perspective.

I don't agree with your assessment.

You don't give up on something that's proven to work for other teams just because you strike out. You keep going till you figure It out.

8. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how the staff handles this dilemma. I agree they are not giving up on ZW as their long term qb, yet they have a responsibility to the team and the fans. The team this year can go a long way with competent qb play. Do they go with white hoping he is competent or continue with wilson. I would rather go with white and if he busts come back with wilson. Maybe it will help him. Continuing with wilson is more of a gamble, his confidence must be at a low point. Hard to correct mistakes in real time. But life is full of surprises so lets see

LAJet likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This assumes that the Jets are just another team.

My take at this point is that the Jets are totally dysfunctional when it comes to drafting and developing a young QB.

In the last 30 years they have managed to get it right once, with Chad, and then they couldn't support him well enough to keep him from becoming a chronic injury case.

30 years. The last QB the Jets drafted and developed who played more than 7 years for the franchise was Joe Namath. That's 57 years ago...

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Your assumption Is driven by a SOJ narrative though. It's obvious.

So, It's a moot point. IMO. Respectively.

11. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Was it Minshew who parked an RV outside of gym to train there for an entire off season? I think I read an article about it somewhere.

He certainly is a character alright, stretching in the locker room with only jockstrap on is something else :D

Nyjets4eva and Acad23 like this.
  12. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

YUP

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

JD is pretty aggressive. If Zach does not come back playing much better and more consistent I could see JD trading Zach and moving on with a FA. I would not rule out Tom Brady. The Jets and Brady are both in win now mode. Brady likes NY and he understands what it would mean to turn the Jets into a winner. Does Brady's son live in NY? I saw an article that his son plays football in NY.

Nyjets4eva and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Geno! Geno! Geno! It would be the most Jets signing ever. Spend a high pick on him, give up on him, let another team develop him, overpay him to come back at 33 for a season or two, watch him underperform and/or get hurt, complain that he sucks and go searching for another QB to chew up and spit out.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Garropolo, Minshew, and Carr come to mind.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I would be shocked if JD believes Zach isn't fixable and trades him unless of course he were offered a ton in return which I also don't see happening. There's no reason to trade Zach if you get Brady since it wouldn't involve a trade. In the remote chance they could get Rodgers I could see Zach being part of that package, but I think this is a remote possibility.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I prefer to not draft one next year as there are still other weak spots on the team to address and it's a massive crapshoot after Young and Stroud.

18. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

19. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

exactly and EVERYONE on this board laughed at me when i was calling to trade for rodgers prior to the deadline. I don't care if we mortgage the future for a SB but w/ rodgers on this team we become SB contender overnight!

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

History has no bearing as to where this franchise is now and were we will be moving forward. Far, far better front office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.