Realistic QB Targets for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Bring Darnold back.

James Hasty likes this.
  2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

you get what? A third round pick for him?

3. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Since we're fantasizing about a potential future QB, here's something interesting from NBC Sports. This was written just after the Eagles picked Minshew up for a conditional 6th. The article references his first 20 games, exactly where we are with Zach.

"Let’s take a look at 10 Gardner Minshew stats that might surprise you. Or maybe even shock you.

1. Minshew as a rookie in 2019 completed 61 percent of his passes with 21 touchdowns, six interceptions, a 91.2 passer rating and 233 yards per game. Among rookies who’ve thrown at least 400 passes, that passer rating is 4th-highest in NFL history, behind Dak Prescott [104.9], Justin Herbert [98.3] and Baker Mayfield [93.7]. His 233 yards per game are 9th-highest ever by a rookie, his touchdown ratio [one every 22 attempts] is 7th-best ever by a rookie and his INT ratio [one every 78 attempts] is 3rd-best ever.

2. Minshew’s career interception ratio of one every 72.5 attempts is 3rd-best in NFL history among quarterbacks who’ve thrown at least 500 passes. He trails Jacoby Brissett [one every 75.6 attempts] and Aaron Rodgers [one every 74.0].

3. Minshew is one of only five quarterbacks in NFL history with a passer rating over 90 in each of his first two seasons (minimum 250 attempts each season). The others are Dan Marino, Marcus Mariota, Ben Roethlisberger and Russell Wilson.

4. Minshew’s 93.1 career passer rating is 2nd-highest in NFL history by a player drafted in the fifth round or later (minimum 500 attempts). He’s second only to another 6th-round pick, Tom Brady, who has a 97.3 career passer rating.

5. Minshew is one of five players in NFL history to average at least 240 yards per game and complete at least 62 percent of his passes in his first two seasons. The others are Pat Mahomes, Marino, Deshaun Watson and Kyler Murray.

6. Minshew is the only player in NFL history with 15 or more touchdown passes and six or fewer interceptions in each of his first two seasons. Only seven other players had one such season in their first two years, including Otto Graham in 1946, Marino in 1983 and Minshew’s former teammate, Nick Foles, in 2013.

7. He’s also one of only five players in NFL history with consecutive seasons at any point in his career with 15 or more TD passes and six or fewer interceptions. The others are Rodgers, who’s had four straight; Drew Brees, who finished his career with three straight; and Mahomes and Tyrod Taylor.

8. Minshew is also one of only three players in history to average one TD at least every 21 passes but throw fewer than one INT every 75 passes in his career. The others are Mahomes and Rodgers.

9. Minshew has had a passer rating of at least 90 in 13 of his first 20 career starts. Only seven players in NFL history had more games with a rating of at least 90 in their first 20 starts, including Mahomes, Marino and Kurt Warner.

10. As a rookie, Minshew recorded a passer rating of at least 100 in six of his 14 starts. Only five rookies have had more games with a triple-digit passer rating: Prescott [11], Wilson [9], RG3 [8], Roethlisberger [8] and Herbert [7]."

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Typo. Get over it.

5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Sign me up for Daniel Jones.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No offers. He might get a look if released but you have to really believe in your skills as a QB Whisperer to take on this type of project. Also you have to figure whoever is acquiring him is going to sit him for at least a season to get his head on straight and adapt him to their system.

It's just not happening.

7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I never liked him either for most of the same reasons I didn’t like Zach as a prospect. But he’s a hell of a lot tougher, a hell of a better runner, and at least reads the field properly. He doesn’t have as good an arm and he fumbles a lot

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Personally. I'd like to draft a QB until we get It right finally. I wish we would've taken Justin Fields.. Obviously.

Right now though. Especially the range we will likely be picking In the NFL draft this upcoming off-season.

I'm really high on Hendon Hooker currently. That would be my immediate, way too early answer.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We're never going to get it right on a high draft because we don't know how to develop a high draft.

We just assume that their status means they will be on the field right away and then unless they are very good they start failing from game one.

We also do a terrible job of giving them the support staff to make it in the NFL. Our OC's tend to be system guys who are going to take any prospect you give them and try to adapt them to the system. Our QB coaches are an afterthought.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Not sure why my Heinicke post was overlooked. The guy is a solid player and is basically what you all think Streveler actually is.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  11. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

On the Jaguars...

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. rockyusmc2003

Sadly, that's what Strev is with real NFL competition. I think Heinicke is a solid player, reminds me of Fitz a bit.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I don't pay very close attention to him but I've seen enough to say he's improved on the turnovers tho stats may prove me wrong. What I like is that he's in his 5th year so the worst of the growing pains are done.

He's probably gonna stick with the giants but like you said, if he shakes free, I think we gotta take a hard look.

14. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

This whole thread makes me sad. I really like the idea of drafting another QB, why can’t we just pick in the class that produces maholmes and deshaun Watson. Sigh….

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Minshew is probably the choice as far as cost to performance ratio.
    He's 27 without a lot of city miles on him.

He's got oodles of personality... if that counts for anything.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this--I saw a lot to like. Consider how raw he was then--now give him the kind of coaching/attention/instruction we've given to ZW for 20 games and he's light-years ahead of what we have now.

Cman68 likes this.
  17. rockyusmc2003

That video deflated my view of ol' Strev. Players mature though, and we can only go up.

18. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Too many teams need a qb like Carr he is going to get 35 million per at least

ouchy likes this.
  19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Heinicke is like the double digit hour of a bender. It was fun while it started and now you have no choice but to continue but nothing good is going to come of it.

I like the story and all, but I think Minshew and Carr are the only real veteran options out there next there. Any other option will mean we should also position ourselves to take a high draftee again since there will be 3-4. I don’t know that I like any of them honestly.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.