Zach Wilson (MERGED) - New Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

#361 legler82, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    MoWilkBeast, Borat, Fiftynine and 6 others like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Where's the evidence? I haven't seen proof that he doesn't understand "football concepts", or the playbook.

And you're seriously saying that I and others who have tried to counter the "Zach sucks" claims haven't been attacked? Yes, we're all "bros", fans, and all want the same thing, which makes it hard to come on here and get attacked when we express our opinions just like everyone else does, and some of us go to great length to try and support our opinions with factual evidence, sometimes stats, sometimes expert analysis, while reading just this new "Zach Wilson" thread since Sunday most of the comments are little more than "Zach sucks!", or "I knew he'd be a bust" or "I never wanted the Jets to draft him". just unsupported opinion and 20/20 hindsight.

And if we really are all Jets fans, why do so many seem so eager to trash a QB who Douglas and Saleh believe in? Didn't these guys add a lot of great talent on both sides of the ball? And if the answer is: "We just want them to win", why do you dismiss Zach's 5-2 record despite all his struggles?

And for all the claims that "If we just had Jimmie G" or "Fitz" or "Darnold" we would've beaten the Patriots both games and be in first place and headed to the playoffs, no one can know that. There are too many variables. The only thing we can say is if Zach had played better, played up to his potential or even close to it we would've probably won. Beyond that it's just wishful thinking and fantasy football.

azhar80, IDFjet and WilsonJetsFan like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

I still disagree with you on this, but I'm glad to see you're still out there!

azhar80, KY Jets Fan and legler82 like this.
  5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

What happened is you're crediting the opinion of some nobody on the internet as if its actual fact.

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

First, I didn't say he doesn't understand the game. I think maybe you're letting your emotions get the best of you.

Second, Zach is doing all of talking necessary for his detractors. He's had some bright spots this season but nowhere near enough to justify him keeping his job. If he's holding the team back (which he is) then he's not the answer, at least right now.

#366 Jets81, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    Jets69 likes this.
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

TBF I didn’t think Zach is a bad prospect. I just did not think he was worthy of the 2nd overall pick ahead of Fields. I felt Fields’ athleticism would keep him & this team afloat as he develops a la Josh Allen. Somewhere that got lost in translation.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That's because on some level I agree with that nobody on the internet. Wilsons not showing anything on the field that backs up what the CS was saying about him in the off-season. He's one of his 5 yard throws to the turf away from being benched.

And not for nothing, but everyone on here is some nobody on the internet and people agree with each other all the time as if things are facts.

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea I remember that. The amount of apologizing people did for Hackenberg leading up to the draft was astounding. I also remember working with someone who went to school and watched a lot of his games in person. He told me the Jets wasted a pick and he was right.

IDFjet likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth around these parts...

All Gas No Shake and Royal Tee like this.
  11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Damn... people stealing my clout...:p:Dlol

All Gas No Shake and Jets69 like this.
  12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

READ this fellows... it confirms what alot of us thouht and really read the NE comments, they are very telling:

By Doug Farrar

It seems as if everyone’s talking about New York Jets quarterback Zach Wilson, his awful performance against the New England Patriots on Sunday, and his refusal to take any sort of responsibility for his part in the loss.

When Wilson was asked whether he let the Jets’ defense down by completing nine of 22 passes for 77 yards, no touchdowns, and two dropped interceptions (yes, it could have been even worse), and he comply said, “No,” that was the End of All Things in Jetsland. As a quarterback, you can get away with being obnoxious if you’re great. And you can get away with being terrible if you’re s standup guy — there are scads of examples of both. But if you can’t hit water falling out of a boat, AND you’re ducking accountability like it’s an overload blitz? Your tenure in the NFL will be very short, indeed.

The Patriots defense, which has tortured Wilson this season in two Jets losses, didn’t seem to care about his performance at the podium, or any other behavioral aberrations. In New England’s 10-3 win, they were more grateful that Wilson did what he’s done all season — go into full head-explode mode when a defense shows him a different coverage look than he expects.

“We definitely know those pre-snap disguises are huge,” safety Kyle Dugger said. “We know that he’s going to take what he sees and have an idea what he’s going to do already in his head. So, we definitely made sure that we were disguising heavy so that post-snap, he would have to think a little more, take a little longer and our D-line can do what they do. So, definitely pre-snap disguise was big for us.”

It was in this game, and it has been all season, Per Pro Football Focus’ tracking, Wilson has seen some sort of safety disguise on 151 of his dropbacks this season. And under those circumstances, he’s completed 21 of 35 passes for 200 yards, one completion of 20 or more air yards, no touchdowns, and two interceptions. He’s run 11 times, which is when he’s most confused by coverage switches, and he’s just trying to get through the play. He’s also taken six sacks, which tells you the same thing in a different way, and confirms Dugger’s scouting report.

Here’s the thing — when a divisional opponent you face at least two times a season, and might face again in the postseason, comes right out and says how they can make you vulnerable — and then they go right ahead and do it — that is an embarrassment for you as a player. Or, at least, it should be an embarrassment.

And in an NFL where quarterbacks are seeing more disguised coverages than ever before, Wilson’s issues with them this far into his career serve as yet another red flag. Not exactly optimal, but nothing about the Jets’ quarterback situation is these days.

The Week 11 sacks weren't about disguised coverage.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about Dugger’s comments were that Wilson’s four sacks in this came were all out of standard, base, undisguised coverages. All four of those sacks came with different iterations of Cover-3, and in no instance was Wilson delayed in his process by something your average college quarterback couldn’t figure out.

The first sack, which came with 14:03 left in the third quarter, was more on Wilson taking too much time to make a decision. He had Denzel Mims open short outside to his left on a switch release with Elijah Moore, and he had running back Ty Johnson open to his right on a quick release route. Wilson was aiming to his left, perhaps waiting for Mims or Moore to break open on the switch — I don’t think he ever saw Johnson in this third-and-7 situation. Judon got through for the sack, but it took him a while, and Wilson had openings. He also had linebacker Mack Wilson spying him over the middle, which is an adjustment the Patriots made in the second half.

The problem Wilson had was that he didn’t have clearly open guys. The Patriots did a very nice job of plastering his receivers, so Wilson had to throw with timing, anticipation, and nuance. These are three things he’s not comfortable doing, to put it kindly.

Losing one's way in the weeds.

Wilson did throw an interception against the Patriots’ disguised coverage in Week 8. This was with 12:13 left in the game, New England up 19-10, and the Jets with third-and-7 at their own 46-yard line. Pre-snap, the Patriots showed a two-high shell, but at the snap, safety Adrian Phillips dropped down, and Wilson was dealing with Cover-1 Robber. Phillips was to take away receiver Jeff Smith’s crossing route, and that left Wilson with precious few options at his developmental level.

Basically, he barfed this pass into quadruple coverage with Patriots all over it, and deep safety Devon McCourty had one of the easiest picks he’ll ever experience in his impressive career. You can see tight end Tyler Conklin trying to run scramble rules across the field, but alas. Wilson had run out of options in his head, and that didn’t take too long.

Missing the simple things.

There are times with the Jets where coverage switches affect the entire offense, and even Day 1 install stuff goes awry. This was the case against the Buffalo Bills in Week 9. The Bills flipped from a two-high look to Cover-3, and safety Jaquan Johnson coming down to interrupt tight end C.J. Uzomah’s route upfield. Wilson checked way down, tried to hit receiver Khalil Shakir on a quick outlet pass out of orbit motion, and failed to make the connection.

Robert Saleh may have seen enough.

The Jets’ head coach is one of the more relentlessly positive people in the NFL, and he’s stuck with Wilson through all of this. But after his quarterback embarrassed himself on and off the field Sunday, Saleh for the first time indicated that a change may be afoot.

“Not right now,” Saleh said Monday, when asked if he would commit to Wilson as the starter when the Jets face the Chicago Bears on Sunday. “Not until I’m done evaluating everything.”

I’ve got to be able to sit back,” Saleh continued. “I think we all have to be able to sit back and just look at what’s best for this organization and this team. It’s not all about the quarterback. I want to be very, very clear. It’s not all about the quarterback. There’s a lot of things that we can do better as coaches. There’s a lot of things that the o-line needs to do better, receivers, running backs, tight ends, play caller. There’s defense, everybody, special teams. I get it where everyone looks at the quarterback and wants to throw everything on him. It’s not always about the quarterback, but there’s also an evaluation process to make sure that we’re doing what’s best for the organization, and that’s every position.

“That’s quarterback position, that’s receiver, that’s all of them, offense, defense, and special teams. Like I said, I’m a little behind and it’s just things that I’ve got to go through in my own process to make sure I catch up.”

When Saleh does catch up, he’ll undoubtedly see that he has a 6-4 team at the bottom of the AFC East with a top-tier defense that is wasted at the altar of their offense, and everyone’s getting tired of it. The trade deadline has passed, so there’s no real option outside of throwing Joe Flacco or Mike White out there and seeing how they do in Wilson’s stead.

In the offseason, the Jets will have the larger decision to make — whether to keep the guy they selected second overall with the second pick in the 2021 draft, or move along.

So far, Zach Wilson has made that decision far easier in a negative sense for himself.

HomeoftheJets, Wut?, azhar80 and 4 others like this.
  13. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

He's injured.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Justin Fields is not an NFL QB. He's a tremendous talent but he doesn't throw the ball well, he doesn't make particularly good decisions and the Bears offense with this great talent at QB is still 32nd in the NFL in passing.

Yes, he's a great running QB however that puts him somewhere on the Michael Vick scale and Michael Vick was never a particularly good QB.

BTW, I think he's much better than ZW but I don't think either of them is a winning QB in the NFL or likely to be.

LAJet likes this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I just watched that Zach postgame for the first time. Why was he wearing eye black to the postgame presser? Is that just more swag?

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fair point. Grown men should wash their man makeup off before most formal events.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Eye black cuts down the glare and man, there is a lot of glare on him right now.

Wahoo likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Just curious...now knowing what scheme the Jets are running, do you still think Fields would've been a good fit? If not, do you think the Jets would've altered their scheme to fit his talents?

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I want an accurate throwing QB. Thats what we need. That’s the winning formula to the SB. Mix it up but respect the pass. That is the Brady, that is the Rodgers, that is the Mahomes, the Burrows, and the Justin Herbert types if he ever gets a team and a coach to help him. Jimmy G and Carr are poor man versions of that and would take either one at this point. When the chips are down we need a passer above all. I don’t want a running QB ala Fields, or K Murray. We have a win now team, getting another rookie QB doesn’t cut it either.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

At least he took off the anime headband...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.