Zach Wilson (MERGED) - New Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Yeah I wanted to trade the pick. But the fact that we could have cashed it out and still got Fields is a tough one.

All Gas No Shake and stinkyB like this.
  2. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

His best games have been pedestrian by current NFL standards. As you stated, "he played pretty well in some and led some good drives" or "he played solid." If he had numbers like Mack Jones on Sunday, it would have been one of his best games.

Should we give all QBs credit for other player's rushing touchdowns as well, or just Zach now.

He can't see open receivers and when he does, he misses too many of them. He just sucks.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Zach played quite poorly in most of our wins this season, which is a testament to how good the rest of the team is. People have been saying this for weeks.

If anything the wins were being used to make Zach look better than he really is.

Br4d, Jets79 and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Be honest here, TGG folks....how many of you had even HEARD of Zach Wilson in Fall 2020 ?

Cidusii, Br4d, KY Jets Fan and 3 others like this.
  5. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It is fixable but he has created a ton of very bad habits with his throwing mechanics. His footwork is all over the place which is causing the inaccurate throws. He has to become humble enough to realize that his strong arm isn't enough by itself to be a good QB in this league

SOJAZ and KY Jets Fan like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think objectively the only good game Zach's had by NFL standards was the Titans game last year. 21/34 297 2 TDs/1 INT. That's a good stat line for anyone.

Which is sad because that was the 4th game of his career. Seems like it's been all downhill from there.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  7. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

This, for all of his "good drives" and "solid play", you look at the overall stats and it leaves you scratching your head. Breece Hall and a solid D can make you look decent most of the times.

Again I'll say it. His mechanics have to be some of the worst I ever seen. How does a guy who was suppose to have the flashiest arm in his draft class throw so many dead ducks at his running backs, and receivers feet, Wide open as well. That was the first thing I noticed about Zach in his first few games. But that can be fixed and perhaps it's just a bit of early nerves, problem is we are still saying that to this very day.

SOJAZ, KY Jets Fan and Jets79 like this.
  8. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

What's scary is that all the "failed QB's" of the past -- from Richard Todd to Sam Darnold -- would be OK with this team. We might not be KC on offense, but we'd be scoring 21-28 points a game consistently.

I really think we got hoodwinked again on a fast-rising player during his Pro Day and combine. We've seen it HUNDREDS of times.....Gholston, Robertson, Jamarcus Russell, etc.

We got hoodwinked.

SOJAZ, Royal Tee, ouchy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree here, which is fine

the best praise we can give is “he played pretty well” or “he played solid”…I’m fine with saying we don’t care about last year as a rookie…but the problem is that this year looks very much the same. The stats say so. He STILL hasn’t had a great game or a complete game…the best he’s had is “pretty good”.

and beyond the FACT that the stats look almost exactly the same…someone else laid it out…completion rate, same, yards per game, same, TD to Int ratio, same…so behind the actual numbers across an ever growing sample size, which some people still keep wanting to cherry pick out of, he’s making the SAME mistakes in missingmopen guys, not seeing open receivers, etc.

I know I sound like a broken record, and I’m not WANTING him to fail, but jeez he just hasn’t made much if any progress and now we’re almost done with year 2 …

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Right. I was just pointing out the comparisons to Russell and Darnold were unfair to Zach. If you just look at numbers, you don't get the whole picture. Everyone is just out with pitchforks for Zach this week. I was just pointing out some of the criticism is unfair.

No doubt he needs to play better. He has played some truly tough defenses in 2022. Baptism by fire. Unfortunately, he has failed in most of those match-ups so far. As you said, he has looked pedestrian. Not like a #2 overall pick.

Yeah, that is an interesting dynamic too. Zach did not carry the Jets to any of their wins this year, besides maybe Pittsburgh at the end. He did just enough in Green Bay, Denver, Miami, Buffalo, etc. He also did not make key mistakes to lose those games either. If he did, I would get people being upset. That is exactly what happened in both Patriots games, so of course, there is outrage. Justifiable too.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The odds that Minshew becomes elite are much higher than the odds Zach does.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Todd would not have been ok his first few seasons. He made some really bad throws alongside the good ones and those throws cost the Jets games.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Minshew is a younger white-trash version of Tyrod Taylor (which still would be an upgrade at this juncture)

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I had but that's mainly because the Jets have made me love the NFL draft and the draft process over the last decade.

It was basically our Super Bowl every year so I've been full send on the draft for the better part of a decade.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I thought Tyrod Taylor was a running QB?

16. stinkyB

Uncle Rico has some wheels

ouchy likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No, I agree with all of that. I think Zach has made progress, but not enough. Certainly not when it mattered most in both New England games. He was drafted #2 overall to be a difference maker in those games. And unfortunately, he was in the wrong way. Costing the team wins. I just don't feel he is bad enough to give up on yet. Or bad enough to lose his starting job against the Bears. He needs to do much more though and I am glad he is being called out on it this week. His response to it will say a lot.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's a chance that he's actually a Tony Romo or Kurt Warner overlooked by everybody and waiting for a good team to make him starter. That's probably not the case, and he's probably just Tyrod Taylor 2.0, but even if there's a 10% chance Minshew is elite, that's higher than Zach's odds.

19. stinkyB

I highly doubt it. Ive seen plenty of him with JAX.... dude's got charisma, (blue collar hero type), plays with alot of heart, can make big plays, then followed up with a "WTF!"
    Fitzpatrick is probably the best comparison

"Minshew Mania" in JAX was very comparable to "Fitzmagic" in NY.... meteor off the bench... that burned out quick

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Fair enough, makes him an even better choice for this offence then ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.