Zach Wilson (MERGED) - New Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

As I explained many times that off-season, BYU is an independent that usually plays 3-4 Pac-12 teams a year and beats teams in the PAC-12. They can go toe to toe with pretty much any PAC-12 team at home and recruit on a similar level while owning the American Samoa’s and a lot of the pacific islands because of the LDS mission thing.

The 2020 year saw all the power 5 conferences exclusively playing in-conference because of Covid. They had to go and schedule games against whoever plays them and it was mostly Sun Belt and Conference USA teams and a couple of AAC teams, two of which being Houston and UCF that had significantly down years by their standards.

They also played and lost to Coastal Carolina. Weird road trip that was scheduled at the last second, but Wilson was pedestrian in the game.

Point being - he wasn’t being asked to do a lot against good teams. He was being asked to throw play action bombs for the most part against 3-3-5 stack soft defenses.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Zach gets sacked on this play, and half of TGG blames the O-line.

3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I also lobbied many times that off season NOT take Zach. I thought he played a real easy college schedule, and for lack of better terms I think he plays "short." He is supposed to be about as tall as Rodgers but he looks and plays like he is a lot shorter to me out there. He also SO much reminds of Browning Nagle (8), a 2nd round pick of the 1991 jets. Nagle started the entire 1992 season for the jets (7 TDs and 17 INT). Like Nagel, Zach is 6'2. And also like Nagel, Zach throws threw every pass 100 mph rocketing thru the hands of WR. Nagle had no touch, could not read a defense and in general was just lost. After 1 year of that, the jets traded for Boomer Essiason. Time to move on from Zach Wilson--I would have him inactive for a couple of weeks and move on from him after the season.

Fiftynine and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The scout if full of shit. What you don't improve year over year? Maybe regarding Burrow he can say also “If you wanted to like him, you watched the 2019 film. If you wanted the TRUTH, you watched the 2018 film." People improve and progress. Most recent tape is the most accurate for evaluation. Also, Zach's size is fine.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Silly comparison. Burrow put together (arguably) the best college football passing season of all time against the toughest schedule of all time. He was a no doubter.

SOJAZ, IDFjet, tomdeb and 5 others like this.
  6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I was up visiting my brother in NY for a few days that season, and while a big sports fan (who knows what he's watching) he doesn't really watch college football. (partially due to work, and also because he said "I get a free reign for the JETS, METS and Isles, so I give her (wife) a break when it comes to college football "

anyway, the Gators were playing LSU, and I said, "dude we're watching this game.. best defense vs best offense"
    Never seeing him really play before he says "This guy is a lock for the #1 pick in the draft next year!" just watching that one game. Unfortunately Gators lost

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How's he working out?

stinkyB likes this.
  8. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Gosh I hope ZW turns this around. And by any chance, was that scout Daniel Kelly? The same Dan Kelly that told the Commanders in 2019 that he’d build the team around Tebow and make him his assistant GM if they hired him?

JetFanInNE likes this.
  9. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Burrow won the College Championship and outplayed Trevor Lawrence and Clemson bigtime.

10. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

You know whats so pathetic? That Joe Flacco still leads the team in Touchdown passes. This kid is putrid.

REVISion, Jets81, Jets79 and 5 others like this.
  11. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

LMAO What!!!!

Holy shit that is true. Zach also has as many TD's as Jameis Winston and he hasn't played in a month and a half. But after all the Jets still have a winning record with him as the starter so he's doing something right, yeah right.

Nyjets4eva and Royal Tee like this.
  12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Sweet baby jeezus. How does he still have beliebers?

IDFjet and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Im laughing at the QB position being a week to week, “oh hey let’s see who starts this week”. No team in their right mind operates like that.

People are mad at the accountability thing and that’s fine. You don’t know what goes on practice right now.

abyzmul likes this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’s obvious enough that Wilson is playing horribly but his play also impacts everyone else. Their stats and by association their paychecks.

You don’t fuck with peoples money, and that’s exactly what Zach Wilson is doing. That’ll tear a team apart in no time.

They need to bench him if for no other reason than to send a message to the team that they see the issue and they’re trying everything they can to address it. Besides that, he’s earned it.

IDFjet, Jets79 and tomdeb like this.
  15. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

White is not the long term answer and everyone knows it. But, he may be a better short term answer.

Mistakes aren't just interceptions. Missing easy check down throws, air mailing open guys, throwing to the other team (even when they drop it,) and leaving a clean pocket are also mistakes. Don't forget, the worst of all, not throwing it to wide open receivers. Every week, he misses wide open guys all over the field because he won't pull the trigger, or even worse, just doesn't see them.

Take off your consecrated undergarments and green tinted glasses and look at it objectively. He's not just bad, this kid sucks at a Jamarcus Russel, and Josh Rosen level. If he was on any other team, you would be mocking him and them. If for some reason you don't believe the stats, or the objective eye test, the rest of the team and now finally the coaching staff is telling you so. His best games have been average - VERY average.

I was out on wilson after his awful 1st preseason game performance and injury. The thing that I am most surprised by is that he hasn't been hurt again - which is probably coming if he keeps playing.

Guys don't go from worst in the league and historically bad to really good. It just doesn't happen.

#275 Jets-N-Terps, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Mike White sucks. It’s ok to say it out loud. But if we get a performance similar to what the awful Colt McCoy brought last night, we win that game.

24/34 for 218 and a pick beats the Pats. Think about that.

Jets79, KY Jets Fan and Jets-N-Terps like this.
  17. mute

mute Well-Known Member

joke btw

Jets81 likes this.
  18. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson stat of the day: Joe Flacco leads the Jets in TD passes with 5.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree on all points…the statistics don’t lie over a large enough sample size…but they’ve been matching the eye test for a while now. The mental gymnastics some try to do to cherry pick out stats to make him look better are mind boggling to me. Someone wanted to take out throwaways…others wanted to take out drops….when does it end. We heard excuses about the OL and receivers not getting open and how we faced the top defenses and how he’s technically still in his first year because he only played like 14 games or whatnot…and on and on and on. It got so ridiculous.

I also never much bought into the narrative that he improved so much after his injury last year … that was a nice story too … but again the numbers didn’t actually change at all outside of fewer picks…but the completion rates were still in the mid 50% range and the yards per game were still in the 170 range…so we kept hearing how it was due to OL and the scrub receivers and anything other than him.

I just kept seeing him unable to make an easy dumpoff throw to the flat, or bouncing the ball 5 yards ahead of an open receiver or airmailing balls 5 yards over their heads…I have no idea why he can’t make these easy layups…he has a great arm…he can physically make the throws, but for some reason he doesn’t do it.

It’s frustrating because he can go and have a game like Buffalo and it gives you hope and you see the strong arm, but it’s just not clicking with h8m, and by now we shouldn’t be seeing these types of things as often as we do.

then someone will say, see, even Josh Allen had a bad day…it happens…and then call out doubters as haters because they don’t give Zach the same leeway…without seeing that he hasn’t earned that leeway.
    It’s just unbelievable to me.

but it’s also the fact that he’s doing the same things that have been issues all along. Missing open guys with wildly inaccurate throws. Even when he hits the throws they are too often badly placed balls…how many times have we seen GW have to catch a ball behind him, or Conklin have to leap for a ball 2 yards over his head? Too many times. He doesn’t even see half the open guys that are there. That missed throw to Moore over the middle for a first down was fucking disgusting…like WTF was he thinking…it was right there. No wonder Moore wants out. The crossing route over the middle is the simplest throw to make when the dude is so open.

just disgusting.

he sucks balls.

and I just have a hard time believing he can ever turn it around…QBs don’t go from being THIS bad at fundamental things like seeing the field and hitting open layups to becoming great QBs. They just don’t.

the fact that Flacco STILL leads in TD throws is beyond imagination. Dude played three games.

enough.

20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I want ZW out of the building but I'm not sure this is as relevant a stat as its being made out to be.

Do you know the comparison for total TDs? Sometimes it just better to run the ball into the endzone and the QB got you down there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.