Bryce Huff Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wewantsapp, Nov 13, 2022.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I know – everyone is going to say “do we need an appreciation thread for every NYJ??”

But its time to recognize the unsung heroes of this team who are just as responsible as anyone else for the team’s 6-3 record. We have Nate Herbig on the offensive side of the ball. I'd like to highlight Bryce Huff on the defensive side . The heat Huff is putting on the QB during the pass rush is getting more deserved attention. IMO, --- Jacob Martin was traded solely to get Bryce Huff more snaps during the game & I am thrilled we made that transaction.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/11/12/ny-jets-bryce-huff-secret-star-film/
    Among 134 qualified edge rushers this season (min. 50 pass-rush snaps), Huff ranks second in pass-rush win rate at 25.6%, per Pro Football Focus. He trails only Myles Garrett in that category.

Connor Rodgers (a guy I like more & more) of the SNY Jets studio coverage team said in JETS Post Game live after the Bills game that Bryce Huff is currently the JETS best pass rusher. Outlandish player comparison ---- I see a bit of undrafted Shaq Barrett more & more.

This is going to be a very tough decision in the off-season. What do we do here jet fans?
    Huff is in the final year of his undrafted 3yr contract. He’ll turn 25 before the 2023 season. We drafted Jermaine Johnson & I’m excited about his prospects. We also have 4th round gem Michael Clemons looking better & better w/each game.

But Carl Lawson is in the final year of his three-year contract turning 28 going into 2023 season. There is no guaranteed money left in his contract – we’ve already paid him $30 million & as pleased as I am w/his play & energy --- he does have an injury past. We can possibly renegotiate with him after the season to extend his contract at a lower cap rate & maybe a smaller salary. Or, cold business acumen, we can cut him & save over $14 million. Mindful that Huff is a situational pass rusher & is not out there on the field in rushing downs which makes him a bit of a 1-trick pony. Its just heartbreaking that we find an undrafted free agent gem & we might lose him like we did Snacks Harrison a long time ago & practically regretted it instantly.

Not to get off topic but same thing with Corey Davis. Let him go == big cap savings (over $10 million) & moving forward / more playing time for Denzel Mims + Elijah Moore if we don't trade either after this season.

Besides the record, - the youth on this roster is my favorite subject topic.

#1 wewantsapp, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    cval, JetFanInPA, azhar80 and 2 others like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Damn, you busted me instantly.

Jets69 likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That young man is going to score us a pretty nice compensatory pick when all is said and done.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking about this a couple days ago. Not Huff exactly, but I was thinking the Jets will not be able to keep all this young talent in future years. Joe Douglas has built a nice roster, but you can't pay everyone. It is a great problem to have and one the Jets have not experienced in a long time.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Could definitely see some team that's all in on analytics and flush with cap space give him $15m/yr.

Maybe there'll come a point when they'd rather pay him big money than Lawson and he'll be more of an every-down player.

For now though, it's so great having riches for edge players so I'm going to sit back and enjoy it.

Also enjoy the appreciation threads. After years of bottom-of-the-league talent and play and (warranted) negative threads, let's have a little appreciation and positivity.

wewantsapp likes this.
  6. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

7. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

getting him re-signed needs to be a priority

8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Can he play QB?