Is there any more important game than our next?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 16, 2022.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This team got over-excited last game and when they got the bad call then the pick the team deflated a bit. We need to play steady four quarters.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Those games are so far over the horizon right now that you can't even look at them. if the Jets lose to the Pats this weekend they're going to have to face the Vikings before either of those games shows up and they're going to have to get by the Bears trap game.

ColoradoContrails, mrjet80 and LAJet like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Both teams have allowed 95 points over the last 6 games. That's 15.83 pts per game. You could make a good argument that we're looking at two top 5 defenses going against each other in this game.

4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

This is a huge game, even outside of the obvious Pats rivalry. There are pretty serious playoff implications.

If the Jets can win this game, that means they will need to win 3 of the last 7 games to get to 10 wins and presumably a wild card.

Of those last 7 games, the Jets play Detroit, Chicago and Jacksonville. Those are extremely winnable games, and won't force the Jets to have to beat Miami/NE/Minnesota/Seattle.

JetFanInNE, KY Jets Fan, Noam and 2 others like this.
  5. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

This division is so tight, every game going forward is huge. This game is huge because we need to have a better divisional record than the pats, and losing both to them won’t help come playoff time.

Jets79 and mrjet80 like this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

There are some really lazy demons around Florham Park at the moment it seems.

Noam likes this.
  7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you say but in regards to 1981 that Miami game …….it would of been the Dolphins in today’s Jets shoes. The Jets had beaten them 6 straight times and the tie earlier in the season. Todd was playing injured. The Jets beat them with :16 left. It was the Dolphins who failed to distance themselves in the East. The Jets would have won the division had they not lost that game to Seattle. (It was David Kreig’s debut).

But this Sunday the Jets need to come out swinging with some smash mouth football. They need a similar game plan like the Buffalo game.

Noam likes this.
  8. mrjet80

A Jets win Sunday would definitely make the Bears game a trap….

Acad23 likes this.
  9. mrjet80

At this point I can see the Jets stealing one of Minnesota/Seattle on the road ….

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. The Krieg and Zorn debuts all sit jumbled in the SoJ horror file section of my memory. I can't recall when or where but they left a lasting impression that I never want to see the Jets play a Seattle QB playing their 1st game. I do recall the elation of that win on a long Richard Todd last second drive over Miami then the fall against Seattle.

mrjet80 likes this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It's a huge game for a number of reasons.

It gets us to 1st in the AFC East and gives us 3 wins within the division (which we haven't done since 2015) with 2 more division games to go.

It would be our first win in NE since 2011, first win against NE in our last 14 games, Zach's first win against NE, etc. etc. etc.

Most importantly, going into NE and smacking them in the mouth would go a long way towards changing the culture in the locker room. Back-to-back wins vsBUF and @NE would show everyone that this team is legit. I seriously hope they're up for it this week. We'll find out on Sunday.

12. mrjet80

Back in those days all of the Seattle losses came on bizarre plays …. Fake FGs, shanked punts, blocked punts, flea flickers, penalty negating touchdowns, blown calls, you name it …..that’s why it was the Seattle jinx. That jinx did a 180 and overturned itself in 1985 at the Meadowlands when Seattle blew a 14-0 lead (more crazy plays) and the Jets came back in the second half thanks to 3 missed FGs by Seattle and the famous Joe Klecko sack from his knees….

Noam likes this.
  13. mrjet80

They could be especially the Miami game.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yes, it is the most important game of the season. Great experience for these young Jets players too. Probably the most exciting game for Jets fans since Week 17 at Buffalo in 2015. (That did not go well)

So we need to embrace that the Jets are in this situation, but the players need to step up and find a way to win.

The Ravens and Bears have already won there this season. Not like it is impossible.

NYJ1970 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

So just to be clear, if the defense has an off game and we are down 14 in the 4th, you are fine with Wilson checking down on every pass play.

At some point he is going to have to go for it. That's just football. I know the narrative is the Jets are an 15-2 team with any other QB but Wilson but let's not delude ourselves into thinking this Jets team is an absolute powerhouse that only needs to pass occasionally. The defense has been playing great but they did let the Pats march down the field and score the the go-ahead TD to start the second half. That was so demoralizing.

16. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think when it's all said and done the Miami game is going to be the biggest game of the season because it will determine whether we make the playoffs or not. Hopefully we'll be locked into the playoffs before the Miami game.

azhar80, mrjet80 and Noam like this.
  17. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Last game with NE. the defense couldn't get off the field. Of course when they lost it was all put on Wilson.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

From the logical POV and the team POV this is simply the Next Big Game in front of them, another test among all the other tests they've faced or will face, BUT...from a long time Jets fan POV this game dwarfs all the others. Teams "owning" other teams in sports IS a thing, and the Patriots have owned the Jets for years. Eleven straight wins against us! And that's on top of all the other games they beat us that weren't in a streak. Speaking for myself, I almost would trade beating them in lieu of a playoff berth this year. Yes, I know that's not rational, but I don't think I'm alone in that feeling.

And yes, it may well be true that as young as this team is, and with as much new blood as it has, they're not affected by the Patriots "curse" over us, or the myth of SOJ, but most of the fans are, and if they lose again, fans will be amplifying those beliefs and eventually they'll "infect" this previously immune bunch of players giving rise to yet another generation of losing mentality. It's that risk that makes beating them so critical, even more important than getting into the playoffs in this year where most predicted them to win less than 6 games.

The stakes could not be bigger.

And I hope "Buffalo Zach" shows up instead of "Patriot Zach". If he's the former they have a very good chance of winning; if he's the latter it might set this franchise back significantly.

cval likes this.
  19. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Dumb. Who the hell said anything about putting handcuffs on Zach? I certainly didn't. But more to my point if we're down 14 in the 4th like you say, do you think letting Zach do the loopy loops and throwing the ball up for grabs (playing hero ball) on the sideline is going to somehow miraculously win us the game? Even more to the point, has there ever been a time when Zach did his fancy f*ck moves aka Fran Tarkenton and the Jets won?

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The Jets did not pass in the 4th quarter in the Bills game because they did not trust Zach. They did not pass because they did not need to pass. Very demoralizing to have the ball run down your throat like that.