Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

11 touchdowns in the last 3 weeks. Justin Fields really sucks though

for comparison Zach Wilson has 5 touchdowns all season

Jets69 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is not really fair. Lamar has been in the League only for 4 years, and he has 2 divisional titles, League MVP, and a play-off win to show for it. Leading the division this year too. This is very impressive on individual and team level. To say he hasn't won a SB in 4 years, one of which was a rookie season, is not really an assessment. He is very successful, there is no doubt about it, and better than anyone Jets have had at the position since probably Namath. We now see Hurts doing something similar, where he was a running QB and used this to his advantage while developing his passing game.

The facts Fields is starting to do that is a very good thing for Chicago. Also, from passing perspective, after poor 6 games, in last 4 games Fields has 8 TDs to 2 INTs, and hasn't had less than 60% completion in any game. The guy is doing really well, let's give credit where credit is due. I can understand some people who wanted him to begin with feeling anxious because Fields is now ascending in a major way, while Zach is still figuring it out. I just think Zach will figure it out very soon and will be really good too: a passing first QB, who can get some yards on the ground when needed. Sure, Fields is ahead now, but Zach I believe started his turnaround as well and at the end of the year it will be a much closer discussion and more informed discussion with a bigger sample size on who had a better second year and has better prospects for the future.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Lamar numbers in the playoffs. For how impressive he has been in the regular season it is the exact opposite in the playoffs. He has been pretty bad in the playoffs.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/ho...ckson has 1 win in the playoffs in his career.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's one more win than the Jets had in last 12 years. He played 4 games in play-offs, one of which is a rookie. Not enough of a sample size. Hurts is now doing something similar. We can see what he does in play-offs too. Ultimately being a running QB is not enough. But it is a big advantage if you are also a good passer. I think Lamar is though, and Hurts is also becoming one. Fields may be on the way too. Zach I am hoping will be more of Aaron Rogers type, where he is a really good passer, but can also get 300+ yards on the ground annually if defenders cheat.

azhar80 likes this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Well said. Whether you like Fields or not we have to admit that things have clicked for Fields and he is playing at an elite level right now. He might not be a very good passing QB and he might be on a record pace for fumbles but he still creating points out of nothing. There certainly is a lot of bad in his game but his ability to hit homeruns running the ball negates all the bad plays and makes it easier for him to pass the ball. My only question is long term. I have not seen a QB take the kind of punishment he takes since the 70's. How long can he keep doing this? It's not just the hits from running the ball it's the hits in the pocket where he does not see the rush. He is exciting to watch. I like Zach's potential but at this moment I would rather have Fields. In the long term maybe Zach is the better bet because of Field's risk of injury and Zach being a better pocket passer but right now I would rather have Field's.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Not sure why you are comparing Lamar to the Jets. I believe they were favored in every one of their playoffs game. There are a lot of QBs that do not play in 4 playoff games total so I give him kudos for that. We are talking MVP and MVP candidate top whatever QB and he has sucked in the playoffs.

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If Fields doesn't throw that abysmal pick 6, the Bears win that game.

cval likes this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think Fields' running powers are now buying him more time to develop passing game. Which he is doing as well. This is not unlike Lamar, Josh Allen or Hurts. Whether he will develop it or not remains to be seen. Clearly Lamar, Allen, and Hurts did. And Fields did improve his passing game. In addition to good % completion and TD/INT ratios, every game he throws for a few long PIs. Heck, against Miami, he was marching down the field to tie or win the game, and made a really good pass, where a blatant PI was not called. Of course Miami got the call in similar cases as they have superstars in Hill and Waddle getting superstar treatment. So, yeah, I get the fact Fields has taken the clear lead if you will in that QB class, though I would not call him elite just yet.

Let's talk after Bears game if you would rather have Fields still though. I think Zach is due to break out, and it will be fascinating watching these two against one another. I might just have to do it in person!

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Justin Fields is a good QB. His athleticism is amazing. He just needs to keep improving his passing skills and hopefully the Bears can build a better team around him. Not sure why you have to build up one QB, and put down another. My pre-draft thoughts are still the same 10 weeks into their 2nd seasons: Trevor Lawrence looks like a franchise QB, Zach Wilson looks really good, as does Justin Fields. All still have great potential. Wasn't sure on Trey Lance and did not want Mac Jones. Still how I feel.

Not surprised Fields is showing his abilities on the field though. Still, it is about winning and the Bears are not a good football team. They could be in the future though.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Garapolo is 10-2 when throwing 0 touchdowns, Zach is 5-1 this year. QB doesn't need to carry this system, just play smart football.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree with with all of this. And to add, I can't think of any run first QBs who improved their passing ability very much - unless you want to call Josh Allen a run first QB which I don't - because they don't have to improve their passing when they can have success tucking it and running. Maybe Fields will be the first. I wouldn't rule it out because he has a history of working hard and transforming his game, but even so, he's held onto his running dimension and I think it's held him back from really having to develop his passing to where it needs to be. The good news so to speak is that he has a good arm and decent accuracy, at least on deep balls, and presumably could develop his short range accuracy. If he does that he might become a real rival to Mahomes.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, there is a reason why SF spent 3 first round picks, including #12 overall, to move AWAY from Jimmy G. They wanted a QB that can make bigger impact than Jimmy. QB is a big part of it, but at the end of the day, win stat is a team stat, not necessarily that of just a QB. Perfect example aside from Jimmy himself and 49ers investing major capital to move away from him, is Fields: everyone who watched understands that Fields played superb last 4 games, even though they haven't won 3 of them. Zach played well last time, and I expect breakout game against Patriots followed by a good game against the Bears. If Zach ends up a Jimmy, I for one would be greatly disappointed. I think he will do much better than that though, and hopefully after a few games everyone will see that.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you can't have Fields for just the present and then swap him out for Zach later if Zach turns out to blossom. The question is: do you trust that JD and Saleh/MLF knew what they were doing when they drafted Zach over Justin? Given all the other successes in player acquisitions from them so far, I think you have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they knew that Zach would fit their planned system better than Justin would. That's not a knock on Fields, and it might turn out that Justin goes on to rack up much better individual stats over his career than Zach, but who won more championships: Unitas or Starr? And no I'm not saying either one is guaranteed to reach that level, just that having a QB with great stats doesn't guarantee that you win. As great as P. Manning was, he only won 2, while Brady won 7.

And your reference to Fields being able to "hit homeruns" also has to include the downside of "homerun hitters" who often are shut down by top pitching, and often in playoffs where they face it the most. Justin can expect to experience a similar effect when he plays against better defenses that are determined to stop him. In contrast, if Zach develops the way the Jets appear to be grooming him, he'll be more multi-dimensional and harder for defenses to stop.

Again, I'm not rooting against Justin - or any of Zach's peers - but I still like him on the Jets the best.

Noam likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The all things Zach thread has rapidly derailed into the Zach versus Fields comparison thread. As you would expect. Since all the sudden, after an abysmal start, Fields had been very active and successful, mostly creating hell with his feet. The renewed interest is clear of course, as some here wanted Fields in the first place and now is a good time to drive their personal point again. Pure and simple. Good for Fields I say, but in the bigger picture for the Jets, who really gives a shit about him?
    All that matters if you are a Jet fan is for Zach to continue to improve and manage expectations and for this team to keep on winning.
    As for Fields, best of luck moving forward, except when we meet him in two weeks. Where I hope this D keeps his ass in the pocket, and hit the fucker as hard as any other runner we face when he takes off. The fact that he has twice the number of TD and more than twice the number of turnovers that Zach does not mean crap. Zero, nada. We are not comparing QBs, we are focused on a potential playoff run. The rest is personal noise to prove a point.

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Well said.

LAJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Fields is not a run first qb. If anything, he has historically held the ball too long in the pocket and taken some bad sacks because of it. He’s just now starting to really use his athleticism to make defenses pay.

This season was Fields fourth new offensive system in five years, going back to his freshman year of college … last year was a wash. Shit oline, weapons, and everybody and their mother knew Nagy’s system was ass ... It took fields and his new OC a few weeks to get on the same page this year and they’ve been killing it ever since.

the dude is a baller

17. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Agreed. It’s clear you need to be a mobile-first QB early and then hopefully develop your passing skills to adjust to the NFL game to have any real chance of success. Partly due to top QBs can’t sit on the bench anymore. Otherwise, you better be a natural field general like Burrow or Herbert. they have zero learning curve to be able to throw the ball 50 times a game and not end up with 5 ints.

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The bar is set so low for Wilson that if he throws the ball 20 times completes 12 150yds, then he had a great game

19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

If the Jets lose Sunday, who will we fire? Does the GM, HC, OC, DC, and the QB have to go?

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I liked Zach in college. Thought he reminded me of Joe Montana with his feet. He made some amazing throws in college. I just hope he continues to improve and more importantly stays healthy. LeFleur I got no faith in him at all. I think Zach is improving despite LeFleur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.