After the Bye...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Nov 12, 2022.

1. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

With our running game, there is no way he should have to throw more thana 25-30 passes tops, and if the game plan is for 41 passes again, MLF needs to go.

Jojo, Nyjets4eva and Cman68 like this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think LeFleur had ZW pass 40 times in the first NE game due to Beli stacking the box, taking away the run game and daring LeFleur to pass. So LeFleur passed.

I don't think the 40 passes killed us, I think the TYPE of 40 passes killed us. If Belli is going to stack 8-9 men in the box, it makes no sense to run 3 times into a cloud of dust, so yes, you beat 8 man fronts by passing. But look at the next game up, the Bills game. Nearly all of LeFleur's pass calls were 'step up, let it fly in 2 seconds or less'. Both TEs and Garrett Wilson has some amazing catches, and ZW (for the first time?) routinely stepped up in the pocket and let it rip.

I think we'll see a 'replay' of the first game, with Belli stacking the box, but this time LeFleur will call 40 short, crisp passes with ZW stepping up, versus leaking out to the right looking for something downfield. This, if successful, will force Belli to call off his hounds, playing back further, which in turn will allow LeFleur to release his own dogs, running backs in this case.

Our Defense is too good for NE to run away with this, forcing ZW/LeFleur to air it out deep, looking for a homerun. We may not see Z attempt a throw over 20 yards the whole game, and by the 4th QTR, we could have the lead and just run the ball down his throat.

azhar80, Jojo, Jets79 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

He routinely stepped up into the pocket the last 7 games of last year and in the pre-season last year, and in the Pittsburgh game this year. The running backwards is a bad response and habit likely due to pressure. If you look at his last 7 games last year he was aggressively stepping up and also scrambling when given free yards. In camp this year scrambling was a big part of his game as was being aggressive with his legs. This disappeared with the pre-season injury and with the intense pressure. Zach acknowledged the issue after the NE game comparing how much more effective Josh Allen was running aggressively forward while he was running backwards.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Zack looked like a different QB against the Bills versus the week prior against the Pats. I don't recall Z fleeing the pocket a single time (a few runs, but that's not fleeing while looking to throw). Against the Pats, seemed like ZW fled to the right after about 2 seconds several times. Didn't see any of this against the Bills. Just stepped up and throw!

I was impressed.

Jojo and Jets79 like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Let's hope he can do it again... because if he reverts... we are screwed.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

If the Jets don't beat the Cheats on Sunday I will kill myself on live television. A lot of people would pay money to see that. Well, I don't have any occasion to be on live television, but it's the thought that counts.

7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If Zach plays like he did against the Bills, the Jets win. Step up in the pocket, take what the defense gives you, dont run around like you're on fire. If he plays like he did against the Pats three weeks ago, we're in for a long game.

I absolutely think the Jets have a better roster.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.