Some Appreciation For Herbig

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Nov 7, 2022.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Tempting to continue talking about the off-season. Probably a conditioned thing since it is November But at 6-3, I'll try to reign it in!

Curious what they do with McGovern. He's been pretty solid as far as I can tell. Unless there's a very clear upgrade they know they can get, resigning him would make sense to me.

I guess we'll have Laken for another year - looks like it's a lot of dead money to cut him. Hopefully he has a better 2nd half. Because you could do AVT at LG and Herbig at RG. If he's bad the rest of the way it'll be interesting how they handle the offseason

Will be curious to see what they do at OT once Fant and Mitchell are back. It would be huge for the future of the OL if Mitchell does get his RT spot back and plays well

Noam likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Now is the time you draft a center, when the rest of the line is in sync and they can pick him up and the QB isn't holding him back.

RochesterJet likes this.
  3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Last I read from what Salah said about 3 weeks back was Fant was in the building and said he feels great. Read another article from Nania from a week back and he said Mitchell and Fant are expected to be activated after the bye week.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/11/07/ny-jets-results-depleted-unit/

LAJet likes this.
  4. abyzmul

What looked like a weakness at the beginning of the season is starting to look like a strength.

5. The Waterboy

Yes, question will be once they are back does Benton mess with what is working or get Fant and Mitchell back in there? Fant I could possibly see but think they keep Herbig where he is at.
    If they are activated after the bye, they still give them a couple of weeks to get back into game shape and if the line is still performing well they have some hard decisions. Ogbuehi has been getting downfield on some runs helping extend them so big plus there, does Fant in there give them the same?

6. abyzmul

Don't get me wrong, I do like Herbig and think he can turn into a solid starter, but I don't know that AVT at tackle and Herbig at guard is a better combo than Fant and AVT. I would consider Herbig-Tomlinson more of a competition because Laken Tomlinson has looked like a guy that needs a lot of help.

Hell maybe they try AVT at center and turn him into the Joe Klecko of the Oline.

7. The Waterboy

I was mainly just talking about the rest of this season. Tomlinson had looked a little better the last 2 games I thought but still going to be gone at the end of the season. Definitely not worth the $17m on the cap.

If Tomlinson starts slipping back they could put Mitchell next to Brown and keep Herbig on the right side with Fant. Next season with AVT back they have a lot of options.

AVT as the Klecko of the Oline sounds good though.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks that makes more sense

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I thought they were developing Mitchell for RT. I might be remembering it wrong but Fant this year was not looking particularly good at tackle. Hope that changes. Nothing like last year.
    Next year I still hold hope Becton is one starting tackle, Brown, Fant and Mitchell in the mix, AVT and Herbig manning the G position, . Wil McGovern and Tomlinson return? Depends on draft and free agency.

10. The Waterboy

Yeah, he was just playing so good was thinking of ways they could get him back on the field.

When Fant is back and Brown on the other side, just thought they might try to slide him over to G but that's probably just wishful thinking, not everyone can be an AVT

I'm also a bit loopy from overdoing the Nyquil so I'll blame it on that.

LAJet likes this.
  11. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I've been posting about Laken's terrible play this season ---- but he has come in the last 2 or 3 games --- appears to be settling in. But I've become a Nate Herbig fan & would hate to lose him since his contract is up after this season. I definitely see another team making a run at him in FA -- he's turning 25yrs old next summer.

12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Let's say Tomlinson does continue settle in, he's probably their LG next season. He'd only be 31 so not too old for a guard. And let's say Herbig continues to play solid or better, he's their RG. It sounds like the Jets really like him so doubt he walks unless something goes awry with him. Then AVT could probably play RT though LT and C probably aren't out of the question for him either. Becton is a wild card and should have a chance to win a OT job, but not going in the presumed starter.

So many decent players and depth with guys who can play different positions. Quite a puzzle!

nycarl likes this.
  13. The Waterboy

Tomlinson would be the 3rd highest paid guard on his current contract, certainly not worth $17m cap hit. Even if they could extend him to reduce the hit you are just kicking it down the road, some players are worth doing that but don't think Tomlinson is one of those

14. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Herbig has been a beast. I think it's pretty clear that we need to draft a few O lineman next draft.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Knowing JD he is going to go best value particularly in area of need at every round or move up/down if not satisficed. Targets high in the draft will be IMO, LB, Safety, OL, NT in no particular order

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If they draft a LB in round one he would have to be a petty special player. Saleh talked this off-season about one of the rules of drafting is never draft a LB in round one unless the prospect is amazing. I would expect the FO to go with the same strategy of using 1st round picks on premium positions OL, DL, and WR. Maybe a center, OT, DT, WR weapon or simply trade back to accumulate more picks. Rounds 2 and 3 seem like the sweet spot in value for LBs and safeties. Joyner is a FA next year and seems to be playing himself into a nice raise but he will be 33 next year. I could see the Jets resigning him while drafting his replacement.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It's pretty early to talk draft. But right now I hope Douglas takes a DEFENSIVE tackle in round 1 to pair with Q. That might help take some of the double teams off Q and might lead him to resign. Then in round 2 I'm all for OL, I don't care where. Later rounds LB, S, and another OL. I think Zach is safe at QB through the end of 2023, and then we'll see.

18. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I thought the cap hit would be too much in year 2 to get from under him? What is it then since his cap number is 17m

19. The Waterboy

Dead money would be just over $4m, cap savings would be just over $13m
    That's with a post June 1st designation

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I might be wrong, but I seem to recall a couple of real special LBs last year that were first round material. JD for absolute sure will not overdraft any position. There will be some changes to the roster for sure to manage the cap.as well as some major renegotiations up coming. Q for one, Wonder if they keep Lawson. We will continue to improve the team long term thru the draft, with a sprinkle of free agents for near term upgrades.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.