Thank you Joe Douglas!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NJJets, Nov 8, 2022.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I have been admittedly critical of JD over the last couple years. This year I wanted to kill him for taking Sauce. My exact words were “the only way you justify taking a CB over Tackle when we desperately need OL help is of the CB turns out to be all world from pretty much day 1”. Well, Sauce is exactly that. What we have now is a team that is full of young talent at all positions and for the most part are extremely high character guys. Prior to this season Quinnen was the only guy on the team that even remotely flashed superstar ability. Now we’re seeing it all over the field. I’ve been a grumpy curmudgeon over these last few years but JD has really turned things around to the point that even if I disagree with something he did or does, he’s earned the benefit of the doubt in my mind. So thank you Joe Douglas, thank you for making me eat crow and making Jets football fun again.

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I wasn’t a fan of the pick either to be honest. Nothing against Sauce but I thought pass rush was the way to go. I wasn’t expecting them to trade back up into the first round to take one.

I was of the opinion to give Hall and Echols another shot as starters - or one of the starting spots anyway - and to beef up the front 7. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Hall really isn’t more than a back-up. Echols is better but not nearly as good as Sauce and Reed.

Obviously JD knew what he was doing. And kudos to the scouting dept.

We are now enjoying the fruit of JD’s plan. Let’s hope it continues because believe it or not the Jets are still not a finished product! But I love what I see …..

azhar80 and hornblower like this.
  3. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

If we can't be excited about what we are seeing now, then when can we?

We may not, yet, be worldbeaters but this is way ahead of where even the most optimistic of us would realistically expect to be. JD has been an absolute revalation. The draft has been astonishing. You can't hit on that many players by accident. Identifying talent is key to sustained high level performance. I am fully on board. We must keep the GM and coaching staff. I honestly expect us to be perennial contenders if we keep the core people together.

Brook!, azhar80, Noam and 2 others like this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I was also in the take an OT instead of a corner group…I thought Hall and Echols plus Reed would have been good enough and I thought OL was more important. I HATED relying on Becton as I had no faith in him to stay healthy for 17 games.

I was right on Becton but absolutely wrong on Sauce. He’s been THAT special. Also, Reed has been freaking great as well. And it had totally transformed our D. Incredible.

hats off to JD on that.

I’ve been a fan of his based on his great trade outcomes and the drafting overall despite that abysmal first draft, but seeing it all come together when it looks like we finally have a GM and an HC in sync and on the same page has been amazing. You can see how it’s clicking.

still half a season left and hopefully playoffs, but looking ahead at this early spot, ZW development will be the key … if he has more days like Buffalo and no more days like NE then I’d say our top need is probably still OL, or an elite edge rusher to really take our D to top three status.

Moore is the other player worth watching…not sure why he’s being ignored and sent on deep routes all the time, but if we can’t figure out how to get him involved then maybe WR would be a need as well…

Brook!, azhar80 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I appreciate you acknowledging you were wrong to be so critical, at least of JD. Given your new appreciation of his ability to identify talent, hopefully you'll begin seeing Zach Wilson in a different light. Not saying Zach has proven himself to be "That Guy" yet, but at least acknowledge the progress he's made towards that end.

UK_Chilts likes this.
  6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

If we take a real high level view over the last 15 years, we went from Mike Tannenbaum who was notoriously trading away draft picks, to Idzik who notoriously missed on an astounding 12 picks in one season, to McCagnan who missed on just about all his picks as well. The result of this, besides the obvious of having no marquee players, is the fact we had zero depth. Guys like Echols and Hall are nice players for depth that can develop over time into potential starters. JD has done a very good job stacking our depth as well as the starters.

7. mrjet80

Moore is currently in the doghouse - he’s being punished for his outburst however his snaps have increased slightly each game since. I think after the bye he will be targeted some.

He’s going to have to take his lumps now and show a bit of hustle when given the chance again.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I think @bicketybam can help attest, I have accepted some crow on Zach. Zach showed that he can stay in the pocket and read the defense and execute the play as designed. Most QB’s that bail out of plays prematurely the way Zach did are doing so because they can’t read the field. I think NE humbled Zach. I won’t say Zach was playing selfishly, I just think he was doing what he did at BYU because it worked there and it was what everyone was so hyped about in his ability. I think Zach now realizes in order to be dangerous off platform he needs to be dangerous when executing the play as designed. Off platform should only happen when there’s no other choice, and that’s when it really becomes dangerous for the D because if the D has to be honest in regular coverage it’s much easier to get open when it breaks down.

9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

When the organization stopped listening to us noisy fans and equally noisy talk show hosts they hired a top guy who knows the league. It could have happened long ago but we never let it.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  10. mrjet80

Yes Hall and Echols are good guys to have on the roster. JD upgraded the position. 2020-21 was about laying the foundation and 2022 was about acquiring star talent. I think one more solid off season will put the Jets into the championship conversation.

Jets79 likes this.
  11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

He needs to go

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah I honestly I’ve been a huge JD supporter…his mismanaging of the OL was my only real gripe with him as I would’ve loved to have seen us convince Moses to stay (I know what he said but I still believe money talks and had we made a real effort I still think we had a shot to keep him)…and to be fair our OL has had its ups and downs mostly due to injury…that is why I was of the mindset, resign Moses and failing that, use a high pick on OL.

he went a different way, and our OL has managed to hang in despite the huge run of injuries, and Sauce has been all world in my book…for a rookie to be this good this soon is very impressive. Goes to support my belief that greatness doesn’t take too long to show.

as far as ZW, I’ve been pretty down on him…I can see flashes of talent, but his accuracy has been shit…the Buffalo game I think was his best game in terms of completion rate and if he can start stringing that kind of play together, then I’ll start to believe in him more.

but I like JD as I see such an improvement over the losers we’ve had for GMs for so long…to be specific

- he gets over on trades very well…pretty much in every trade he’s done I’ve felt like we got the better deal, especially the Jamal Adams trade…compare that to Bradway who got raped every single fucking time

- he spends wisely in free agency and hasn’t wasted huge dollars on the wrong positions … compare that to Mac spending crazy dollars on a RB

- he can draft talent…this last draft was crazy good absolutely nailing his first four picks, and then plucking a decent OT in the fourth round….compare that to Idzik who couldn’t draft for shit

- he actually has a blueprint and a strategy for building a roster…compare that to Mac who had no damn plan,just using premium on the wrong positions

- he is in sync with the HC and it shows….we haven’t had that for a long time but that’s probably more on our clueless,owners than on Idzik or Mac

Nyjets4eva and Brook! like this.
  13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Honestly if ZW progresses to a franchise level QB then I think we’re already there. We have one of if not the best D in the league and we have multiple young superstars on O. Even more so that 2010 and 1999, I’m really excited for our future because unlike those teams we are completely full of homegrown talent.

UK_Chilts and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Extend this beast.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

We know about the more publicized moves (the draft picks, Lawson, C. Davis, DJ Reed, etc.) and the misses in the 2020 draft and FA, but how about these JD pickups:

Bryce Huff (UDFA 2020)
    JFM (cut down day waiver claim 2019)
    Berrios (cut down waiver claim 2019)
    Quincy Williams (cut down day waiver claim 2021)

Absolutely astonishing moves when you think about it.

Nyjets4eva, dmw, Brook! and 5 others like this.
  16. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

When Bec. comes back next year it will even better.I

17. ColoradoContrails

That's a fair assessment. From watching him at BYU I knew that he wasn't going to be able to get away with a lot of that off platform stuff and would need to learn how to play more disciplined - which is why Andy Reid had Mahomes sitting, watching, and learning for most of his first year. The big advantage Mahomes has had - aside from having a great offensive mind for a HC - is that there has always been a lot of talent around him. With Zach, the first year that talent for the most part was sub-NFL starter level, and much of that was out due to injury when Zach finally returned from his own injury. But the CS stuck with the plan of having Zach learn to be more disciplined and play under center and stay in the pocket, all things that he was not comfortable doing. However this year when he finally returned from his second injury he was playing to plan - up until the Pats game. Whether it was MLF or Zach who decided to have him return to his BYU style IDK (I suspect it was Zach who was feeling the pressure after facing three tough defenses and hearing the complaints about his stats). In any case, I think it served as a valuable teaching lesson for him and got him to buy into what MLF was trying to get him to do and the result was Sunday's performance.

We'll see if that lesson has really stuck, but it may take some more lumps trying to do it his old way to really cement it, but in any case, what should be clear is that he's smart and dedicated to improving, and is improving. If he really has learned his lesson, his development is really going to accelerate and this team will become really good.

18. mrjet80

It’s definitely a playoff roster and the majority of the roster is set but I think another solid draft is a must. Have to keep the chain moving and there are some spots that could use some tinkering …. OL could use a reinforcement or two. McGovern and Fant will be FAs. I would like to see another pass rusher added to the LB ranks. A young safety would be nice. But overall yes this roster is looking pretty nice ….

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Don't forget Herbig.:)

20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I was about to put him on the list. I think he can actually be a keep piece moving forward. Only 24 years old.

Need to see a little more from him though.

ColoradoContrails likes this.