Jets 2nd Half domination in the games this year... What's the secret recipe there?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

We are killing in in second halves of the games this season. A lot of 4th quarter magic. We held Bills to only 3 points in second half.

Is it our Coaching stuff adjusting the game plan accordingly? If this is really it, this is Superbow winning material folks. What did you see so far this season with Jets second half adjustments? Was it luck or was it a great game design mostly?

joe, SOJAZ and 50ShadesOfGreen like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Our style of play, pounding the football and knocking people down, wears other teams down while our DL stays fresh.

PabloJa, Cman68, Jets79 and 9 others like this.
  3. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I hate to say it (because I didn't think it was a thing at the start of the season when the coaching staff was talking about it), but I think it's because we are rotating so many defensive linemen in and they aren't tired at the end of games. It also helps that we are hitting the QB a lot during the course of a game.

PabloJa, Jets81, Munter and 3 others like this.
  4. Brook!

Do you attribute anything to the coaches adjustments or no?

I feel like there is something there my friend.

cval likes this.
  5. Brook!

But some of the wins are thru Offense as well. See the Steelers game and today's game where we came back from 14-3 deficit.

Noam likes this.
  6. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Stifling defense and an effective ground and pound...

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

MLF sets up a lot of plays throughout the game. Much of the film review shows him running plays to set up the defense in crucial situations. So he should get a lot of credit. Plays like the end around to Berrios against the Packers, the 79 yard pass play to Hall and a lot of the variances he uses off that inside handoff. I forget the play today be used a fake of the inside handoff in the second half and had the entire defense bite on it.

8. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

Inb4 they blame the Jets for Blood doping.

But in all seriousness. I think having a young but great defense is the main reason. Along with running the ball down the other teams throats, it allows the defense to rest more.

9. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The secret... young, talented, intelligent, tough-minded, competitive players, with a sprinkling of vet leadership.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Well the DL staying fresh is on both the rotation of DL and on the defensive ability to get off the field on 3rd down pretty regularly.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That was a thing of beauty...

I don't complain about LaFleur (much) because I think he does a pretty good job overall.
    His play calls look a lot better when the execution is there.

12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The game is four quarters.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

If Q got hurt on the sideline when he was rotated out I’d have totally fucking lost it.

14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I will add in quite timidly, Zach Wilson. Certainly not the main reason, first reason or second reason but when the team needs him he plays his best. Against Pitt, against Miami when we needed a score up by 2 in the 4th quarter, against GB when we needed a score or long time consuming drive, against Denver when it was needed, today before the half down 14-3 when we needed a long time consuming drive and at the end of the game today when he needed to hit that throw to Mims. Wilson has a lot of flaws but he is also a smart player who seems to play his best when needed. Now if he can just play that way all the time we might all have a different opinion on his ability to become the QB we want.

Jets81, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I was totally expecting him to be out for the season after that. (Hard to break old Jets habits)

Noam likes this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Most people judge a play and the OC based on the result of the play when execution by the offense is often the biggest culprit of an unsuccessful play.

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He gets no breaks from this fan base and the media. A young QB is going to have wild ups and downs. It is the nature of the beast.

He is 5-1 as a starter and just read all the hate for the kid. It is crazy.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We're both stating the obvious... but fans love to blame the OC when shit goes sideways.

Not saying LaFleur hasn't approached certain games with a flawed scheme.

Noam likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, the CS is definitely making good adjustments at halftime, but even with only 8 games under their belts, and including last week's heartbreaker against the Pats, this is a young team that has no fear and just enough veteran experience to keep them glued together under pressure. Mosely may not physically be the player he once was, but he's even smarter, and he's quarterbacking the defense at an All Pro level.

In short, these guys don't know anything about SOJ, and simply believing in themselves.

burf likes this.
  20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

YES...think about GU did at halftime. They essentially stopped Allen free runs and hada spy on him. Then you have the OC call how many run plays to go down the field and win. I been critical of this CS but got to tell you, they are stepping up.

Brook! likes this.