MLF

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JackBower, Oct 23, 2022.

1. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Whose job is it to teach Zach Wilson to do his job? Players don’t just come out of college and are hall of famers. They have to learn the NFL. They have to be taught. And when they are not seeing it correctly, who is sitting high up in the stands seeing exactly what the defense is doing and talking to his young QB about what is going on? Teams are not really shitty at picking players, teams are really shitty about developing players.

boozer32, LAJet, burf and 1 other person like this.
  2. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I would note that the response didn't mention MLF trying to teach Moore a lesson. A dumb statement. And your point holds no weight because regardless of the development of the players the games still happen and they don't wait MLF to develop the players. It was a decision by the head coach, a person that SUPERSEDES MLF's authority, to have Zach LEARN ON THE JOB. A conscious decision to get Zach experience while having him serve with the team. If Zach isn't developing like he should, which happens all the time across the NFL, the games, the season does not wait for anyone. You put together your offense and you put your best foot forward. This is not the first time we've noticed Zach's inability to do his job. In fact, it's the very reason why Elijah's pissed to begin with.....

3. NYJ1970

ANYTHING that you notice in reference to WR's, TE's, and RB's and them not being utilized to their fullest potential in the passing game specifically, which I don't disagree with, is a direct result of Zach not pulling his weight. Rest assured if the QB were competent or even average, most of the problems with the passing game would be a non factor......

IDFjet likes this.
  4. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I have a hard time blaming MLF when we've seen Flacco & MWhite go off statistically under him as OC.

And who's to know if Saleh might've told MLF to not give that many reps to Moore.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We have?

I would not exactly call this going off

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/11252/joe-flacco

6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

This is some bullshit that takes the cake. Let’s go back in time, friend. 2019 ZW threw 9 TD’s and 11 picks. He was as pedestrian as it gets and he certainly wasn’t on any long term prospect radars by any means. In 2020 training camp at BYU Zach had to fight for his job and almost lost it. It’s why he was not named captain of the team, they weren’t even sure he’d be a starter. He had a flash in the pan type season with no pressure at all against cupcake opponents and empty stands. The worst prospects at any position are the ones that only had one season of success.

Zach is not at a mental level that he can learn on the fly. He clearly doesn’t understand basic concepts of an NFL offense. The only way you teach that is when he’s on the bench learning. I wanted to kill JD for drafting him but looking at the prospects in his class and this past class I can understand why they took a flyer, but they’re treating Zach like a lottery ticket instead of a long term investment. They had no choice because there’s no other options. If we had a reasonable veteran QB on the team we could stash Zach and let him learn basic NFL football for a couple years. That’s where coaching comes in. But if you’re starting him from day one he either needs to be incredibly intelligent at football or incredibly strong and athletic to use that athleticism to succeed while learning on the fly. Zach is neither. It’s not coaching letting him down, he just has no business on an NFL field yet.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I got no issue with your take here, it makes sense but I'll just say if Wilson needs to be developed more he should be doing so on the sideline and not starting every week. Especially for a team in the playoff hunt

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  8. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

but there are guys saying MLF did nothing wrong it’s all ZW both of them have stunk and we won on ST and D. How can you be so bad play calling lol. He overthinks everything, we have 3 and 2 twice and he has ZW throwing the ball. But in Denver game run it 3 times lol it makes no sense. He’s in over his head clearly and it’s not helping ZW at all tbh

9. NYJ1970

This post is equally silly to @75redbronco had to say. One question.....

Do you honestly think Zach would be better off playing in the patsy game if he'd spent his rookie season sitting on the bench? The fact is he'd be infinitely worse. The coaching staff's decision to have Zach learn on the job was one they didn't take lightly. It doesn't mean they go into this loosey goosey. When you make that decision, which is common in the NFL, they go into it knowing they're NOT going to bench him. Benching a young QB that early into his development is catastrophic for the kid. You claiming they should bench him because the Jets are in a playoff hunt is classic Monday morning QB. This post appears as though you somehow knew it all along that's nonsense.......

10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Yes, 100% he’d be playing better. There’s countless examples all over Twitter where Zach isn’t seeing wide open receivers, he isn’t performing the most basic of concepts. He’s no more ready to play in the NFL than Malik Willis or Trey Lance. His mechanics are awful, his decision making is awful, his understanding of the play concept is awful. It’s akin to putting Britney Spears in Carnegie Hall to play Jazz concerto.

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Lots to unpack in your post: I agree the Wirfs/Becton choice was poor even if it worked out which it looked like it was going to--given all the uncertainty about the choice you have to go with the Big10 choice over the ACC choice--and fairly week ACC and bad NYJ history of Louisville players working out for us long term.

Expanding on your take, I'm sick of the NYJ thinking they know better than the rest of the league about potential NFL players--like Hackenburg, developmental OL, etc. If anything they've proven until recently to be a laughing stock at selecting and developing players.

Now they seriously hit on the 22 draft and 21 looks good except for ZW. But as you're saying, Elijah needed to be developed--not treated in such a way so he's a malcontent. This is SOJ shit in a different form.

12. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

So unbelievable, like we never drafted Garret Wilson cause he's disappeared in this offense. Run slants with Wilson and moore , wtf are they doing on offense. I cringe when they take the field on O. What dumb shit will they do now? Zach has no chance here if this is how they want it tobe.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with you any stronger. Of course sitting and learning would've been good for Wilson's development, just like it was good for Mahomes, Rodgers, Young, Pennington, and every QB who was fortunate to be in that situation

As far as last week goes they should've benched him simply because they needed to win the game and he obviously wasn't going to win it in the 2nd half with how terrible he was playing

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

hall, wilson, and AVT were the focal points. now 2 are out for the year

15. red75bronco

Honest question, if Mahomes was drafted by Jets, is he the same QB today without the development of Andy Reid. Are you saying, no players develop on NFL, they just show up and are good or bad? The college coaches do the developing or all players that are good are just born that way? What I am saying is MLF has a responsibility to develop and put Wilson in the best position to succeed. I don’t think he has done that. Too many short yardage empty backfields. Not enough quick throws. You want Moore invovled, that is his game. The Oline stinks, get the quick game going. Look at KC.

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Hard to get the quick game going when the QB doesn't make the quick throws.

17. red75bronco

I think he has hit ever RPO throw this year. Maybe I missed a few. I don’t understand these long developing routes.

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

There are receivers open short a lot of the time but he either doesn't throw it or feels pressure, real or perceived.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

According to the HC, his OCS is doing a good job teaching ZW.... that statement was made by him this week. That is after he said after the game they need to do better... WTF maybe this entire CS is clueless,,,,

boozer32 likes this.
  20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Also......

Im starting to think that Zach just doesnt know the difference between "NFL open" and "college open".

"NFL open" is a much smaller window than college. ALL of these in the photos below are WIDE OPEN by NFL standards!!

How many first downs and TD's are not happening due to not throwing to "NFL open" guys? Think of that next time you want to blame the OC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IS it me or is it him... what am I missing here? Maybe before we bury MR L, we should think again where the problem lies.

Red Menace and BrooklynJetsFan like this.