Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Citing the number of wins implies it's impossible to say Zach had a bad game in any of the wins, which is clearly not the case.

It's quite easy to win games and still see that our QB has been the limiting factor in those games. Who's to say we wouldn't have won by far more points in those games with a better QB? And point differential is a greater predictor of future success than simple win-loss record.

Not directed at you - but I swear this is groundhog day with the conversations we were having about Darnold during his second year. "I've seen some great throws, he can make all the throws. He's mobile and can throw on the run." Those things are completely meaningless. Every QB in the NFL occasionally makes some good throws - you don't get to the NFL without having a pretty damn good arm. Regarding being mobile - how is Zach being sacked more often per dropback than Flacco the statue then? It's because Zach holds the ball WAY too long and isn't good at finding open receivers quickly.

Playing QB well in the NFL means not making backbreaking mistakes and simultaneously driving the offense and putting up yardage and TD numbers. It doesn't mean sometimes doing one and sometimes doing the other and often times doing neither of them.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Literally your point to a T. If he’s at the 14ish he may have enough on this to get it into carter. There is no reason for him to just peace out of
    This pocket. It happened all game yesterday

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Four games ago Chicago called out Justin Fields. Every since he's been trending upwards and developing into a hybrid of Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. Not huge passing numbers, but adding in 75 rushing yards a game and no bad mistakes, he keeps the chains moving and defenses off balance. Pretty impressive considering what he has to work with.

#1243 ouchy, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    Vida, NYJetsO12 and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I still don’t understand how we’re not getting big plays off his magic acts escaping pressure every now and then

Everytime I watch other games and even against us, if the QB somehow breaks free from a rush and has like 7-10 seconds, there’s almost always a receiver wide open somewhere

Is he just not seeing open receivers? They really should practice this much more, because it’s literally half of our passing offense, sadly

azhar80, FJF, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think he also has pretty much the worst group of receivers in the NFL.

NYJetsO12, rockyusmc2003 and ouchy like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That’s definitely possible. As of now I don’t think Hooker is a Round 1 guy but like you said, that can change pretty quickly based off of how the rest of the season plays out.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If they have to bench Zach for whatever reason this season, I think they have their answer on whether he’s the guy here or not.

Hopefully that situation remains a hypothetical but we’ll see soon enough.

Jets79, ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to say that his win loss record is a predictor of success. I was responding to people who were saying we are losing games because of him, saying we only lost one so far, and it is too early to bail. Given the other options we have at QB, if he keeps losing games, we will need to move to White and then if he sucks too, Streveler. I just don't think it will come down to that. While I recognize things are trending in the wrong direction for Zach, I am just not ready to close the book yet. I need to see more, and believe we will have better outcome in coming weeks.

The TOs seemed out of characters. You take these away, and there were some positive plays in this game, explosive plays. He hasn't put it together yet. But I do want to see him try a couple of more times before concluding evaluation and moving to Mike White.

9. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Tua was pretty bad last year and has blossomed in year 3. Tough to say how long they give Zach. We'll know a lot more in 9 weeks.

10. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

100%

I made this comparison yesterday, and this dawned on me last weekend when I went to watch my friend's kid play Pop Warner. Their QB (these kids are like 9 or 10), is obviously the most athletic kid on the field. Every play, the defense chases him in the backfield for about 20 seconds, they all get dead tired, and he trots down the field for a gain of 20+ on almost every play.

This really dawned on me when the kid ran backwards roughly 20 yards, and could have just scored another TD running these dudes ragged. Instead, he attempted a threw to a wide open kid in the endzone.....and ended up throwing it to the ambulance behind the endzone. That's Zach.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  11. dawinner127

He is missing them. They are there but idk if he doesn’t have his head up or what but there was a play yesterday that Mims had a step on the DB and he should have just launched it down to him. It’s frustrating bc he’s so good at extending but literally nothing is coming of it

King Koopa likes this.
  12. King Koopa

Yeah I remember that…Unlike some I have no issue with him breaking free and escaping pressure maybe a little too soon sometimes. It should be very difficult on the defense to defend receivers in this way for that long, but we’re not taking advantage of it at all

I really do hope the coaches focus on this with him, because it’s a unique skill set that he has, and it can be a small part of the offense even if by accident sometimes. KC and Mahomes come to mind…Obviously he’s not there but that should be the model

There’s gotta be a bunch of big plays we’re leaving on the field

13. dawinner127

Was going to try and edit this in before your reply but here is the play I’m talking about.

azhar80 likes this.
  14. King Koopa

Exactly…Just let it rip man. I don’t have a problem with an int 70 yards downfield, and half the time they’re calling PI anyway

Take advantage of it

kevda5n9ne, stinkyB and IDFjet like this.
  15. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

It's not the talent in his arm. It's the decisions he makes in his head. The team has the talent he needs to manage it properly.

KY Jets Fan, Jets79 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Nah nah...but he's him...and he's a dawg and and...milf and and.
    He refuses to learn or
    simply can't because he lacks it upstairs.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The problem with that is when he manages the game properly we have dumbass fans on here saying they’d rather he throw for 300 yds.

Another problem with that is without Breece & AVT we need more from him than just managing the game and right now at least he doesn’t seem capable of that.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Tua was miles ahead of Zach in his second year. He completed 68% of his passes with 16 touchdowns and 10 picks.

If Zach had anything close to those numbers this year we'd be thrilled. Zach's numbers this year, extrapolated to 17 games, would be 55% completion, 10 touchdowns and 17 picks.

19. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

We'll just have to see how the rest of the year goes. Maybe Zach turns it around.

20. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

I get that everyone is on Zach and I also agree with most of the observations. But Let me remind everyone that the QB position takes time to develop. A perfect example is Geno Smith who in his 10th year seems to figured it out. Now, I am not saying we give Zach 10 years to mature but the kid has played something like 17 games (I am ot sure so don't kill me). I just think the coaches need to be hard iin him and impress upon him just to ditch the fucking ball instead of doing a hi wire act every time he is in trouble. Also, in fairness our OL has been decimated because of injuries and that has hurt him. I say give him the enitre year and then see where the chips fall. You just can't be rotating QBs every year and expect to hit the jackpot.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.