Big Picture Thoughts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Oct 30, 2022.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Hope everyone has had some time to relax, this is what I am thinking.

-First off, this team has still overachieved so far. Winning is tough and as Bart Scott said..anybody can be beat!

-But, with that being said, it’s the way we look that is concerning. Obviously we have a much more talented roster but the elephant in the room is clearly the QB. Breece Hall was Adrian Peterson 2.0. Tough not having him but he made up a lot for this O

-I want to blame injuries but you can’t. It’s the NFL. Injuries and the refs…every team deals with them.

-Elijah More: not a doubt in my mind we are trading him if he only got 5 snaps today. If he was truly remorseful, which he wasn’t based on post-game comments, he would have been back in good graces and played. Mims looked fine today btw.

-The elephant in the room is the QB. First off, they would not have come out and discussed Mike White as QB2 and elevated Streever if there was any hesitation. I mean, you just spent the number 2 overall pick on this kid. It’s frustrating.

without getting into the exact details of Zach, his footwork, size etc, I do think his small frame makes him too timid to stay in the pocket mixed with awful decision making. You watch other nfl games and it’s actually a bit boring…dink and dunk, and scramble and dunk and dunk and maybe set up a big play. Whatever it is, he’s looking for 60 yard bombs and missing just easy plays. He should be going into half with no more than 150 yards. He’s trying to throw for 600 yards. The dancing and break downs is unacceptable, not sure if he doesn’t know how to play the game.

Again, how can’t we be happy at 5-3 but it’s the eye test that’s concerning. You can’t tell me we are a lock to win any game going forward…

SOJAZ and KWJetsFan like this.
  2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The eye test is very concerning. Realistically, we're looking at a 5-5 record heading into the Thanksgiving weekend game against the Bears, which appears to be the next winnable game on the schedule.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Big picture is still looking up

defense has come along and is playing well overall…still gave up too many third downs today but with three picks they gave up field goals…all in all the D is starting to click and should be good enough…even the LBs with Kwon, CJ and Quincy look ok. JFM needs to cut the late hits

Offense without Hall will go as far as Zach takes it, and I’ve been down on him and even more so after todays shitshow….I could give two shits about excuses with him…just hit the open guys when they are there…he misses WAY too many and he doesn’t see half the open guys…I just don’t think he’s the guy. He gets this year, but by the end of this year we should have a good idea of what he is…hope he improves and turns out to develop into the guy, but I’m doubtful. Today is what we’ve seen from him throughout his career…he’s a mid-50% passer…hope he can improve. We’ve had a ton of injuries on OL so not great play but considering the amount of injuries it is what it is. Hall and GW are going to be very good. OL will improve but will need help next year.

I’ll say this…I do trust JD to keep building this team…glad we have him.

SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5 and Brook! like this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

My thoughts:
    This team is better than I thought at the beginning of the season.

The QB is holding them back right now. Today's game was there for the taking.

I'm not as down on LaFleur as many others are. To me, it's more an execution issue than a playcalling one.

I am more convinced now that Douglas is the GM who can build a championship contender. His first draft was awful, but the next two have gotten progressively better. It's too bad some of those picks are out of commission now, but they were big contributors before going down. Sometimes, sh*t happens. And he knows how to make trades. Zach not panning out shouldn't lead to his ouster unless he doubles down and gives him a lucrative extension.

6. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Big picture is why I never got too worked about the winning streak I was just enjoying something positive for a change but Zach has not looked good. It has felt like best case this is the Sanchez teams over again.

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Big picture. Fix this damned OL and play calling. We are not going anywhere till that’s done. 16 fucking pressures on the QB is disgraceful.

#7 LAJet, Oct 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  8. WoodyHarrelson

Green Bay is playing ok vs Buf. They aren’t super human.

Bears beat Patriots

Whatever it is, Zach just needs to do more with less. Quick plays. Scrambles and slides. Check downs and then it will open up the bigger plays. His legs should be a threat to run at this point if he’s going to do all that scrambling anyways. Let him loose and whatever happens with injuries happens but he needs to run more when pressured not scramble around.

Want to remain positive but Zach just doesn’t look like an NfL qB.

#8 WoodyHarrelson, Oct 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

The team has some exciting young talent and the D has been better than I anticipated. The Offensive scheme, overall team discipline, and QB play regardless of starter have all been bottom of the NFL. This looks like the worst team in its division, and I would be pretty surprised to see another division win this year. 50-50 would be a "good" season. Recall the over-under was once 5 games for the Jets. They will be dratfing in the top 15 and should be... the team still lacks a lot of blue collar talent (Oline/LB in particular), and the QB position does not look promising.

WoodyHarrelson likes this.
  10. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

100%. Doesn’t matter who is behind center if they are constantly flushed and running

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What GB game are you watching?

12. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Big picture is the Jets have enough talent at every position on the roster to make a deep run… except, they have the worst quarterback in football.

It’s egregious to assemble this much talent only to have the quarterback be the thing that holds you back to this degree. Of course, we’ve been here before with Sanchez. Only the Jets are capable of creating this exact scenario twice in just 13 years.

SOJAZ and teamgreen like this.
  13. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Every week that goes by, I see a vet starting QB come in next year to take over this team getting clearer.

Zach's running out of time, it's quite clear. He still has time, but it's fading fast.

Lon Chaney and BrickcityJet like this.
  14. WoodyHarrelson

disagree. Lack OL and DE depth. Lack elite Lb play

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I don’t see that, but I do see a better, vet OC coming in.

16. stinkyB

If you are in a spaceship that is traveling at the speed of light, and you turn on the headlights, does anything happen?

SOJAZ likes this.
  17. stinkyB

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  18. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

It has never looked pretty this season. We were able to minimize Wilson's mistakes with Hall. I think Robinson and Carter are still a formidable duo. All is not lost unless the no. 1 priority is Wilson bring a franchise QB because that's not looking so good

19. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Great post.
    Zach is doing the exact shit he's been doing from day one. He wasn't turning the ball over...because we were RUNNING IT.
    THERES NO screens ,play action, they get away from the run so fast with cute dumbass trickery. 15 rush attempts.
    MLF, is a big part of problem, there was no rhyme or reason to what they were doing yesterday, and its like that, OFTEN.

SOJAZ likes this.
  20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The rebuild is ahead of schedule.

Either Zach needs to get better in a hurry, or the table is very nicely set for the QB we select in the next draft. Or it will be by next season when some of these Offensive Linemen can get off the injury list.