Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Watch for what? So he had 1 awful game since starting and you want to sit him?? That’s an even worse message to send to him. You do realize he’s still young and developing right? Stop trying to expect greatness from the get go. He’s literally learning still. He’s not even a finished product. The Jets will never ever develop with this mindset. It’s the same mindset that wanted Ulbrich gone after the first few games this year. Now you don’t hear a peep about him being axed. Be patient.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Seeing as we have won too many games to nab another prospect in the draft.

What is Minshew's rating and is he likely to be FA next season?

He is what he is but he may be enough to implement the plan while we still use draft picks on improving the rest of the team.

We can't go out and throw loads of top picks at QB trade like the Browns did for the toucher.

REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Constant running backwards is troublesome. The last 7 games last year in these type of plays he would step up, turn the corner, go forwards and take easy yards with his legs. The jitterbugging running backwards rarely results in positive plays just throwaways while announcers gush over his athleticism. We do not see the positive scramble yards this year because of the constant running backwards. Although he did make a couple positive off schedule plays one to Conklin and one to Wilson. But note that both of those plays he was rolling out to avoid the rush, one left, one right, and moving forwards not backwards.

4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree with you. It is time to take ZW off the training wheels and see what he can do to recover. He s no longer a rookie and has many games u set his belt to learn and adjust and give him a chance to recover.

he won a game vs Pittsburgh. He did move the ball at the end but too late. Now next time I believe he will be on a shorter leash.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

After 3 poor games in a row and turning the ball over "really" 5 times in the last 2 weeks (the two Bronco ones were miraculously unofficial) I feel like not feeding him to the Bills meat grinder might not be a bad idea for his chances at development.

Especially when 2 other factors are considered. The first is the bye week after Buffalo which would give him 3 full weeks to recoup and regroup and then the second is that you get New England again immediately thereafter. That is a fantastic chance to get your young QB pieced back together and go get some redemption. REAL redemption. The Jets I'm sure won't do this but it does seem like a fairly decent strategy.

Acad23 likes this.
  6. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Where are the rollouts and deep shots then? I still don’t agree that you can’t find ways to get your playmakers the ball more (like Moore who was dynamic in college in YAC)

We don’t try screens almost ever so I don’t even know if your analysis is correct.

Zach has a ton to improve on but I still don’t think they’re playing to his strengths at all.

He struggles on normal drop backs yet that’s just about all we do?

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I mean LaFleur hasn’t done a very good job in putting Wilson in better positions. Stefanski ran a bootleg on what seemed like every damn play when he dragged Baker to the playoffs.

I also don’t understand why LaFleur only thinks he can be creative with running the ball when Breece Hall is on the field? We ran a successful pop pass to GW yesterday and never came back to it or ran any action off of it.

Cman68 and King Koopa like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Minshew could be a good idea. Easily the most underrated QB in the league, probably better than half the starters (though not Hurts which is why Philly is right not to start him). Put Minshew in this offense, and he could win us a lot of games like how the 49ers win with Garoppolo. I'd trade for him now, but the Eagles won't part with him in case Hurts gets injured.

REVISion and K'OB like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So, letting him continue to throw games away is the answer to his development? If Zach is still that raw in his development, the Jets are doing him a grave disservice by starting him too soon in his career. If Zach has a learning curve the equivalent of climbing the Matterhorn, then the CS should have bought in a Vet Qb to show the kid how its done. This is the equivalent of letting a 14 year old drive a NASCAR track during a race.

Ulbrich got his shit together but still has issues with 3rd and longs. At least we're seeing tangible improvement in the Jets defense. Can't say the same about the offense as MLF can't game plan a running game without Breece Hall and Zach can't seem to hit the easy open guy with any regularity. If we were seeing the type of improvement on the offense that we're seeing on the defense, I would say let Zach roll. Unfortunately, that is not the case. How much of that is MLF is another question.

Joey Harrington and David Carr might disagree with you..

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yup…he is the worst rated of the bunch. Are there reasons or excuses, sure…but at some point the sample size will be big enough to reflect reality and the eye test…for some they already do, for others they don’t yet, hence the comments around bad OL, poor receiving talent, too many drops, etc. all true more so last year.

but my take is that we are getting to the point of the stats lining up with reality here, and by year end, the sample size will be big enough to be really concerned. At least to me. But even in our own house, we’ve seen three other QBs start off similar and none of them were able to turn it around. They have nothing to do with Zach of course…different guys, different coaches, different systems, different teams, etc.

but Zach’s issues are fundamental to me…inaccuracy and bad ball placement (can probably improve with continued experience but not sure how much it can improve…enough? Not enough? I’m guessing not enough to be elite)…field vision (this should be able to be improved with coaching, film study and experience)

so too early to give up on him but there are very real concerns that may never improve

Acad23 likes this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

After watching all the plays multiple times, there are some really good NFL QB throws from Zach yesterday.

11:22 1st quarter, 3rd & 5: Zach gets pressure up the middle, rolls left and throws a dime to Conklin for a first down.

10:04 1st quarter, 3rd & 5: Zach rolls out right after Ogbuehi gets beat inside and throws a fantastic pass to GW on an out and up. Beautiful.

12:08 2nd quarter, 3rd & 6: Zach sits in the pocket and throws another beauty to Conklin in the EZ for a TD. Put the ball where only Conklin could make a play on it. Perfect.

10:58 3rd quarter, 1st & 10: Pats come out in cover 2, Zach puts just enough touch on the ball to clear the underneath defender and hits Conklin. Great example of what can happen when you put just a little touch on a throw.

10:00 4th quarter, 1st & 10: Same as above, Pats come out in cover 2, Zach sticks the ball in between 2 underneath defenders in a spot that only Uzomah can get it. Becomes a really good gain (20-30 yards).

3:35 4th quarter, 1st & 10: Zach throws an absolute dart to Mims in between 3 Pats defenders on what looks like a deep curl. Perfect ball placement and shows off Zach's arm strength. Obviously, Mims does the real heavy lifting on this play by breaking 2-3 tackles but it was still a great throw by Zach.

1:51 4th quarter, 3rd & Goal from the 9: Zach sits in the pocket and allows the play to develop. Puts some touch on the ball to make sure it clears #27 who was playing in the underneath zone at the goalline. Put the ball where only Conklin can get it, TD.

There were some other solid throws but these were the ones that I thought were good-great, but that's kinda the problem with Zach. When your QB ONLY makes a handful of good-great throws in a game and also makes 3 awful-inexcusable mistakes, chances are you're going to lose the game.

The only good thing I'm trying to take away from him yesterday is that when he does sit in the pocket and actually goes through his progressions, generally speaking he's making good reads and good throws. Watching him on those last couple of drives, he looked like he did in the first half (sans the first INT), which was a solid NFL QB.

The main issues I see with Zach right now is he's too easily panicked and he's wayyyyyy too sloppy with his footwork. I think they are somewhat interlinked in that most of the time when he senses pressure he panics which throws his footwork off.

If this team could get more of what we saw in the first half from Zach and the last 2-3 drives of the game, we could be dangerous. The only issue is that's what we've been saying about Zach for a year and a half now. Zach has shown us a few flashes of his natural arm talent but he's just too inconsistent. Hopefully he can learn to calm his mind while in the pocket but based off of what I've seen through 18 games...I just don't know anymore and that makes me incredibly sad.

#1111 KY Jets Fan, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    Noam, papapump, chandler and 3 others like this.
  12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes the game has changed in so many ways… as far as QB goes INTs used to be part of the game. Nowadays a young QB throws one and the doubts kick in full blast.

A typical game in the 80’s there would be several turnovers for both teams…..several missed kicks, penalties galore. Not every game of course but it was quite common. It seems the game has morphed into a “make one mistake off with your head” type persona. Part of that is the 24/7 social media aspect. Another part is the fact that game is now tailored for offense. The 3 yards and a cloud of dust can still work against the lesser teams but not against KC, Buffalo, or any other high powered offense. You need a passing QB in todays NFL.

Of course with Zach it’s his choices and the way he’s throwing the ball. Back foot throws….and he may not be seeing the whole field he throws half his passes out of bounds after one or two reads it seems. They didn’t do that 20-30 years ago. After watching him yesterday I’m starting to lose faith I hate to say. One could say he’s trying to do too much but if that’s the case then he is regressing. He didn’t do any of that stuff the prior 3 games. Why did he regress against the Patriots? Is the spotlight too much for him to handle? He knew it was a big game and maybe he’s not equipped to handle that mentally …

13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

agreed we have seen flashes…the 4th quarter at Pitt was very good…some throws here and there

it gives you hope,,,but the. He plays so poorly in stretches that it undoes all of that

he’s yet to give us a complete breakout game…

I hope he can

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Zach also has a big problem with only being able to throw lasers. If he cant drill it in then the passes are wildly erratic. His third INT was a great example of Zach trying to put (limited) touch on his passes. A QB that cant put air under the ball wont make it in the NFL. There are too many times when a pass has to be dropped into a spot. Zach doesn't have that skill. And thats not a skill you can just pick up on a bye week.

Jets79 and K'OB like this.
  15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Orlovsky laying into Wilson this morning. Don't disagree with anything he has said.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't think that's necessarily true. I gave some examples in a couple of the plays I listed above where he put touch on the ball and guided it over some underneath defenders for nice gains.

I do agree that more often than not, he's trying to throw that laser, which goes back to him needing to calm his mind in the pocket and make the "correct" throw.

He's capable of making those passes because he's shown us he can, I just think his mind is trying to process everything too quickly which results in him defaulting to the laser.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Almost 24 hours later and I'm still pissed off. I really felt we were the better team yesterday, except in the 1 area that matters the most. I really hope it's only up from here for ZW.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Zach looked very good in the first half til that mind boggling INT, shame it all fell apart after.

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Which I think is another reason most of his issues come back to the mental aspect of the game.

I've heard it said before, maybe by Connor Rogers?, that it's almost like Zach has a switch. When that switch is on, he's a good QB, but all it takes to flip that switch off is one mistake and then it seems like it takes him a couple of drives to flip that switch back on.

That can't happen as an NFL QB. Even the greatest QBs in the world throw INTs, it's gonna happen. Just move on and take what the defense gives you.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The rules were different in the 1980s. If Zach played then, he'd look like Hackenberg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.