Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Wilson has the rest of the season to get his shit together, but I don't see it happening. The Jets need to draft a QB in 2023 regardless of what Zac does, because we will need either a real #1 or real #2 next season.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

3 guys open on the first one. And Jeff Smith wide open on the last one. On the 2nd one G Wilson wasn't exactly wide open but yeah he should've attempted the throw outside to the sideline and let his guy try to make a play

Garrett Wilson looked very frustrated on that

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

[​IMG]
    Zach literally scrambles backwards here....

I just can't anymore man. It's obvious that he's just way too skittish in the pocket right now and I have no clue why.

There's no excuse to scramble backwards and make the crossing route to MC an even more difficult throw.

REVISion, Jets79, Noam and 2 others like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's enough to drive you insane. I can't watch him do that running backwards shit anymore it makes me so mad. It throws off the entire play for everyone

Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

This. I'm not even mad at MLF at this point. How the hell do you call an offense when you have to rely on this guy to get it done?

Hopefully this is Zach's wake up call, and it's all looking up from here-- but I'm not holding my breath.

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

trouble is there are a few hot prospects for next year but all likely to go in top 5 picks and we will be picking somewhere in the 10 to 20 range most likely

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

His first one he at least made the right read. Felt pressure, looks to his check down which would've gotten the 1st on a 3rd and 2. He just doesn't plant his feet and take the hit from Judon coming off the edge. He tries to throw off his back foot which makes him sail the throw. As I've said, this one while still a bad play is the least egregious IMO. I can at least give him credit for trying to make the right play but his footwork was awful and it resulted in a terrible pick at a terrible time. Young QB stuff.

Like Nania said, GW has a late window on the 2nd one. At least try to make the throw. Might get it, might not but at least we can understand the decision. Instead, he's indecisive outside of the pocket and then Judon gets in his face and he just tries to flick it OOB. Take that ball and throw it to the first row if there's nothing there. You're already outside of the pocket, there's no way you get an Intentional Grounding so just chuck that thing as far OOB as you possibly can. Inexcusable.

3rd one, he's got Jeff Smith wide open right out of the gate. I feel like Jeff was just too late in his progression because he immediately looks right when he gets the ball. Idk what this route concept was from MLF, looks like Elijah runs a sit down at the sticks? So I'm assuming he's Zach's first read but that takes too long to develop on 3rd and 7, plus GW doesn't really do much to get his defender out of the way to make this a good read for Zach. But Jeff was wide open and if Zach hits him immediately, it's either a first down or sets us up with a 4th and very short (1-2, maybe 3?). Without being in the film room, I'll never know exactly what the playcall/progressions were here but this is my best guess based off what I see. Still, just throw the ball away. No need to be Superman there.

#1087 KY Jets Fan, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Didn't really scroll back at all so someone may have brought it up but the throw the ball away thing has been a problem since he returned @ Pitt. Minkah Fitzpatrick almost made the same play that McCourty made yest. It probably wasn't hammered home since it wasn't picked off and cost them the game. Could totally see them in film saying, "don't do this again" and just move on where now in film it'll be repeated over and over and over.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Zach has gotten worse each game, hate to see what he is going to look like by week 18 at this point.

Acad23 likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

[​IMG]

Same thing, why scramble out to your left here??

This is a decent NFL pocket. Duane Brown did a good job of running his guy around Zach. Stand strong in the pocket man.

Instead, he scrambles out to his left and throws up a prayer into the EZ to Conklin (I think).

Hard to tell based off of this angle but if he stays in the pocket, I think GW (the guy you see in between the numbers and the hash) breaks open going to the right here after he clears the initial underneath zone defender. But because Zach scrambled to the left sideline, he effectively removed anyone over on the right from consideration.

Very frustrating.

K'OB likes this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well it is a matter of opinion I guess, Zach was struggling big style and Milf did nothing to help him (this isn't a defence of Zach either) and in helping him it would have helped us to win, this was a game we give away, the Pats were horrible and we let them off the hook.

JFM is also hugely to blame, that penalty galvanised the Pats when the Pick 6 would have buried them, it all went downhill after that passage of play.

I am not going to argue over the wording 'equal' though, take some blame is fair enough but it is deserved.

Zach has the rest of the season but I won't be defending him from here on in, I wasted too many minutes on Sam to do the same again.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  12. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Absolutely. When your QB is totally lost, you get him out of there. Live to fight another day.
    Zach was on a downward spiral and leaving him in was a disservice to both he and the team. Sometimes you've just got to make a move and let him come back the following week.

Acad23 likes this.
  13. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Not sure I'm seeing what other saw...I saw two outstanding defenses torturing 2 mediocre quarterbacks. Wilson's play was
    abysmal eventually but the Jets were up 10-3 at one point. The penalty on the pick 6 was a blunder but does that mean the
    defense has to let up? I think Saleh has everything on the right track but we may need a new QB and little more seasoning.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Joey Harrington and David Carr both say "Hi"...

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

16. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight

-Zach is not allowed to run due to his injury history
    -Small size and gets balls batted often
    -Happy feet maybe due to his size but pocket presence is awful
    -Misses reads and can’t take easy plays

dude is a nightmare. Lowest QBR in the nfl!! What else needs to be said.

IIMeanDeanII and Centiment like this.
  17. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

That NE D is good but not great

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So how do you get the message across to Zach that his play is not satisfactory and changes must be made? Zach has to understand there is accountability even for a 2nd rd potential FQB. So far, there's been zero accountability but plenty excuses. It would not hurt Zach to sit and watch which honestly, should have been his first year in the league. After yesterday's game, if he has another one even remotely similar, I don't think Saleh/MLF has any option other than to bench Zach in favor of White who is at best, a stop gap. Publically, the team is supporting Zach. Privately, I'm sure there's more grumbling than what you're hearing out of Moore and Mims.

No one should be bulletproof. Not even a 2nd overall pick who's play is holding the team back. Saleh has the other 52 guys to think about too. No one likes to go out and grind only to see it thrown away by a careless player.

Gotta hold Zach accountable and honestly, I think he should sit a game or even two just to get the message across..

#1099 Cman68, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    Ralebird, IIMeanDeanII and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  20. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Bottom line with Zach is he is so nervous. He has that deer in the headlights look the very second he steps on the field. Everything he's being taught goes right out the window the very second the game starts. It's clear to me that the moment is too big for him. He simply doesn't know how to calm down and honestly I've lost patience with it. I don't think a single Jets fan should be making excuses for him. Now I want him to continue to get an opportunity but at this point it needs to be structured...

1) He should have to beat out every other QB on the roster every week to earn the right to start from here on out.

2) Joe Douglas must draft another QB in the offseason and put him in a straight up QB competition with Zach. You absolutely have to hold Zach's feet to the fire......

Cman68 and Ralebird like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.