Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Amen to that. The KISS concept to a T. Keep it simple ,smart

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I get it...you remain unconvinced. Not surprising since Zach hasn't really had a "convincing" performance. Still, I think you're overlooking a lot of his positives to prop up your gut feeling that he isn't the guy. His Comp % is actually in the high 50s so far this year against three of the toughest defenses in the league, and against Denver - in Denver - it was 61% despite losing major pieces of the supporting cast during the game.

I do agree that LaFleur needs to take a look at the plays he calling for him, and the personnel he actually has available. I've hesitated to say that MLF is responsible for a lot of Zach's pedestrian numbers, but I do believe there's some truth to that at this point. Still, they are winning with this formula, and Zach is improving, even if it's not as fast as we would like. None of this comes close to indicating that Zach is in danger of losing his job any time soon - he's doing what he's being asked to do and they're winning, how can you ding him for that?

Will-I-Am-Not, Jets79 and Borat like this.
  3. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Ok. No excuses for Zach this Sunday. Fields and the Bears took care of BB.

SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you have to not like Zach, and I'm rooting for him as well. But nobody should get too smug about him not making turnovers. He was a real shaky pass interference call and about 3/8" of a cartwheeling upside down forearm away from a terrible pick and a fumble that almost for sure would have cost the Jets the win.

Which on a day we lost Hall and AVT for the season really would have us down in the dumps right now.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The Jets need to take care of the Pats, not just Zach. The OL of Chicago, their running game, their D and Fields scrambling put the nail in their coffin. Funny how we make everything a Zach problem if we loose or give the rest of the team but him kudos when we win.
    I hope we destroy them.

SOJAZ, Nyjets4eva, Noam and 3 others like this.
  6. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Fields just played relatively well vs NE. This is not the same NE D of the Sam years. If Wilson plays poorly, it will be very frustrating. Fields is not a good QB but played with poise tonight so Zach will need to go through his progressions properly Sunday with a lesser pass rush than Denver had.

SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That’s a fair assessment

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's not easy playing against two top passing defenses in the league: https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/table/passing/sort/netPassingYardsPerGame/dir/asc

You saw what Bears defense just did to Jones, who had a really good rookie year, and Zappe, who played really well up to this point. Bears are #3 passing defense and were playing on the road in NE. Zach just faced even better passing defenses back to back, at their house. He wasn't great by any means, but as I showed earlier, maybe not as terrible, particularly given the competition. I think on Sunday we will learn a lot more about Zach. NE passing defense is middle of the pack and not on the same level as the ones he just faced, and we will be at home. I expect a much better performance than what we have seen going against #1 and #2 on the road just now.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Damn I just realised Cval is Zach's mum

10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I just watched the game again. Zach completed one pass beyond the first down marker. It was midway through the 4th quarter.

11. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

i don’t think we are playing on the road this is a home game I believe

12. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Fair but either way if he can't get it to open receivers consistently it's time to move on. Good dude...not knocking him as a person. Just might not have it upstairs.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

People on this board masquerading as Jets fan would have looked at the beat down of the Pats last night and started threads on how bad Justin Fields was.

I know it is hard for you pretending to be Jets fans seeing the Jets win that you.
    have to come on fan boards and troll.

GO JETS

bicketybam and Noam like this.
  14. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Why would anyone want to do that? Wins are the most important thing to the coaching staff, and there is no reason they would ever put together a game plan just to see if one player is good at his position while potentially sacrificing a win...no, no, and no.

15. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

We are 5-2, but four of those wins came against backup QBs, which is what ZW is playing like. Our OL is bad and with Tucker gone now it's even worse, but ZW was praised for his ability to throw on the run and I don't see it. He had one long ball on the run two weeks ago, but that have been it. Every backup we have faced had less experience than ZW as a starter and they all looked more poised in teh pocket and more accurate. Yes they through Ints, but I credit out defense for those.

SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets and NJJets like this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I feel like this angle confirms what I thought I saw from the TV broadcast view.

I think Zach was trying to hit CD on the dig but just sailed the ball a little. Conklin just happened to be in that general area due to the route combo.

We need Zach to be more consistent and clean up his foot work. If he can do that, the sky is the limit for him and this offense.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

A good breakdown from Pavia in this video.

Can't judge someone's playcalling entirely based off of a handful of plays but each play he shows in this video was the perfect playcall by MLF in each scenario.

I think a lot of Zach's issues we saw on Sunday stemmed from poor footwork which is something Pavia hammers home a lot in this video. The good thing is footwork can be cleaned up. Hopefully Zach, MLF and Calabrese stress that this week and start to fix that.

The last play in the video echoes something I said about Zach earlier in this thread. He looks timid. Zach vs Pittsburgh rips that ball without hesitation to Conklin and we probably get a few more yards out of that play. In the video, you see him hesitate and double clutch.

Just play ball Zach. We know you can do it. This offense will be something special when it happens too.

#497 KY Jets Fan, Oct 25, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Last time we tried to fix a QB's footwork was Christian Hackenberg and that went so well :confused:

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

To be fair, Christian Hackenberg had a lot more wrong with his game than just footwork haha

Zach is 100x the prospect Hackenberg was.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

100 x 0 = 0 lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.