Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson turned 23 just 3 months ago. Can we give him some time?

Josh Allen is 26, Burrow/Lamar are 25, Herbert 24, Mahomes is 27 which is wild

Need to see how Zach manages games rest of the year.

Remember Big Ben was mediocre early on in 2005, his team helped carry them to wins and he just did his part. We should just see progress and have him get better.

Not lose or cost us games. He's really focused on the Wins

2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

The Carter-Hall package was so hard to defend. So upset about the injury. This made us a difficult offense to defend regardless of our QB play.

3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I watched the game. He was under seige most drop backs. His average time in the pocket was 1.9 seconds.......so let me get thsi straight, you think hes supposed to stand there with 1.9 seconds take a snap make a read and throw a strike?

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Do we think it is a coincidence we are winning with Zach and losing with Flacco?

ColoradoContrails and zace like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

#405 KY Jets Fan, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    SOJAZ, NY Jets68 and Noam like this.
  6. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

If we become a playoff team his time will be up in my opinion and he will have to produce.

JD isn't going to risk a playoff team with an unproven QB. He will go out and get legit competition for the position

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Zach's main problem is he's a one dimensional passer. All he throws are darts.

That's great for certain situations but there are just as many times you need to take something off to hit a short/mid level routes, or show touch going down field. Zach is showing he cant do either of those things. His short/mid level passes are wildly erratic and I've never once seen him put touch on a downfield pass. Putting touch on downfield passes is a big skill that takes a lot of practice, and I doubt he ever does practice it. Everything down field has to be a laser which means his passing lanes are very limited. Add in his footwork issues, his poor field view, and holding the ball too long and its debatable right now if he even has the skill to be a top 20 NFL QB.

Also we can't coddle Zach into being a top QB. He's a man and he has to step up and prove that he deserves to be the starter on his own merits. A QB should be lifting us. Instead we focus on constantly lifting him.

westiedog1 and SOJAZ like this.
  8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

So yeah, gotta help Zach out with these blitzes he will see more of. Screens, quick slants (hello, Moore/Wilson). MLF has to gameplan better. I’m surprised they don’t do more of the RPO pass stuff, we’ve seen Zach do it here, it’s basically what the Dolphins do but they do it WAY more then the Jets have.

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Some more context from that form Nania on those numbers.

"Wilson also ranks second-best with 9.1 yards per attempt from a clean pocket, trailing only Jalen Hurts (9.3)...He was awful with a clean pocket as a rookie, completing 179 of 267 passes (67%) for 1,755 yards, 5 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions. Out of 35 qualified quarterbacks, he ranked 31st in yards per attempt (6.6) and 35th in passer rating (79.1) from a clean pocket."

"Wilson is the worst under-pressure quarterback in the NFL. He ranks last out of 35 qualifiers in yards per attempt (1.7) and passer rating (12.7). It’s not even close in either category. He’s 1.5 yards per attempt behind the second-worst QB in that category and 23.0 points behind the second-worst QB in passer rating."

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/10/24/ny-jets-qb-zach-wilson-struggle/

SOJAZ, JetFanInPA, horsehead and 2 others like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The bold statement is drop dead wrong and inaccurate. With all of Zach's issues, the last thing he needs is less than two seconds to have 2-3 or more defenders on his face. He looks up and has a guy on his face or behind him. Getting the ball quicker than two seconds pre supposes you have someone in position before that. Insane to think you can't have a pocket solid enough for at least 2-3 seconds. I see a lot of football and have yet to see anything that bad.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Pretty insightful article: https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/10/24/ny-jets-qb-zach-wilson-struggle/

Basically, Zach has improved drastically when not pressured compared to last year. In fact, he is one of the best in NFL (#6 overall), when not pressured. Last year he was one of the worst. Unfortunately when he is pressured, he is the worst QB in NFL. So, definite improvement from a year before, but needs to do better. I am hoping he will step up next week against NE, which has a good defense, but not to the level of Denver/GB. If he sucks again though against NE, it will not be great.

He really needs to turn this around as overall so far he improved from last year, but has been below average, trending down in last two games. The trend down is not completely unexpected given he faced top two passing defenses, but still he could have done a lot better. That trend has to be reversed, particularly playing at home against a good, but not great defense. In many ways after the next game we will have a pretty good checkpoint of where Zach is in his second year.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Correct. The other QB would stand there and get sacked. This we agree on.

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Every single game Denver has played has been a sloppy mess from both teams, I’m not sure why people expected anything different.

Zach made two key mistakes yesterday. The miss to Uzomah and the non-fumble that actually was a fumble.

Wilson needs to be better. He’s lost under pressure. His passer rating with a clean pocket is over 100.

The Book of Wilson isn’t even close to being finished, especially after 17 games.

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Its like people forgot how bad Flacco was. He would’ve been sacked 8x yesterday.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Looking at those clean pocket and pressure splits really limits what MLF can do. PA on 1st or 2nd down. Using TEs and RBs to block and/or chip and running screens, draws, misdirection and rollouts on 3rd down. You really cannot put Zach in an obvious throwing situation with those numbers. If I am BB, Buffalo or whomever we play I am going to blitz, blitz and blitz again everytime I think Zach might pass until he can beat it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

not darksiding but ZW needs to stop missing open receivers. Don't need to change the game plan to evaluate that.

If he can't clean that up they have to go get another QB or they're capping the potential success of the team/roster they've built.

/just sayin'

REVISion likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This will work itself out. If Zach doesn't fix his issues, the wins will stop coming, especially with Breece out for the year. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Donttasemebro likes this.
  18. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

First and foremost, I said I was happy they are 5-2. So let's not make an issue of their record, I think they're doing well as a squad. But at the end of the day, these are team wins. Zach has had some nice 4th quarters, but he's also had quite a few poor quarters during this 4 game span. You eliminate Hall from that equation, and he may not have any of those 4th quarters.

He looks like he's in shock when they make it into the backfield. Some of these defenders aren't even disguising the fact that they're blitzes, and he's not seeing it at the line of scrimmage. Yes, like I said, the line wasn't good, but he's not helping them either. The CS really needs to talk to him about turning his back to the LOS and running around, he's eventually going to get completely annihilated turning into a blindside DL/DE who is away from the play. No excuses for the lines subpar play, but the kid needs to read what's in front of him, and he's just not doing it.

Honestly, I partially agree with your point about tight window throws. However, that's more the exception than it is the rule. And regardless of his footwork/mechanics or a lack of confidence, he's got issues that needs to be worked on ASAP before it gets perpetual. I'm also not buying the out stretched arm theory, since he continues to put his receivers in a bad position to catch the ball. Conklin on that play had a 5 yard cushion to hit him in stride, and the throw was still high. Meaningless as it was, had he thrown it instead of hitching the ball, the LB hadn't even turned his body yet. Once he hitched, everyone broke on Conklin.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Oy, the Josh Allen comparisons. From his rookie season the Bills offense ran through Josh Allen, and he grew into that role. Zach has training wheels on his training wheels. As QBs their careers are night and day.

Also, saying its like he just finished his first season implies he's still a rookie. He's had two training camps, and entire offseason, and been with us for 23 games. He is a second year QB.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Were at that part of the week where posters pull out obscure stats and rankings to convince us that what we're seeing with our own eyes isn't true.

Vida, Centiment, Br4d and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.