Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He keeps improving. Fewer turnovers, more poise in the pocket, better decision making. He has played one full season, so I'm not worried. He will likely continue to improve.

ColoradoContrails, rammagen and cval like this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Allen wasn't bad his second season. He had 20 TD's and 9 INT's. His completion percentage also improved as well. He wasn't great until his 3rd season but by year 2 Josh was showing signs that he was going too be the guy.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He had over 60% completion rate against Denver.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

There's 52 other guys on this team that want to win, as well as a decade long culture of losing that needs to be squashed....

Last year Zach had his season to take his lumps / "on the job training" as there were no expectations, therefore minimal frustrations with mistakes that come with that. This year it's time to start winning

5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Win. If Zach is the guy he'll elevate himself. If he isn't he won't. The rebuild is over. The team is competitive. Saleh and JD have, to a large extent, proven themselves. Time for Zach to start doing it too. He can get us so far as a game manager, and if he can't be more than that then maybe it is time to find someone who can.

Ralebird, apjbfc, Jets81 and 4 others like this.
  6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I thought that is all that mattered. Can we stop moving the goal post. :)

Zach was under pressure all day and missed 2 or 3 throws. The issue was not Zach the issue was getting behind the sticks against a great defense.

ColoradoContrails and rammagen like this.
  7. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

All other phases of the game have improved since Zach came Back whether he’s improving or not.

FJF and AtlantaJet like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This BTW is a perfect description of Richard Todd as a young QB.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i did not look at his numbers before the post but i just remember him not looking that good and having a lot of fumbling issues.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I truly do not care how we are winning as long as we are winning. Ask anyone who lived through the first two AFC championship games. But then also ask those fans why we didn't make it to the Super Bowl. It was the offense. So it's a double-edged sword. Denver's defense is absolutely insane, I didn't expect Zach to have a good game and he did not. It was bad. I expect him to make routine NFL throws though and he didn't do that. It was alarming. But he's also shown enough in other games that tells me he CAN do it. He remains calm and cool in the 4th quarter which is fucking weird, but I'll take it.

So after all that babble... I would roll with him until he starts to become a reason we're losing. He hasn't been that yet. In fact we haven't lost with him. Let it ride.

NY Jets68, cval and stinkyB like this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Show me dumb?

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I never wanted the Jets to draft him and he hasn't shown me anything to make me think I was wrong - this organisation just never seems to make the right call when it comes to the most important position on the field - haven't had a top tier QB in 50 years

It is depressing watching a guy like Mahomes and knowing the Jets are never going to have a guy like that (as they will never get that lucky)

Centiment, Ralebird and James Hasty like this.
  13. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Sanchez minus the interceptions…but also minus the TDs..

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Darnold did not work to improve his game. He worked to understand the offense and the game plans. If he wasn't a cow on ice skates that would have been enough.

Sanchez worked very hard to refine his game, cutting down on bad throws and mental errors. However he never really had the tools to be a good QB so he was just leveling off his game at a plateau lower than an NFL starting QB. Huge kudos to him for recognizing what had to be eliminated and helping the Jets make two playoff runs in the process.

ZW likely never had the whole package to be an NFL QB in the first place. Within that he has cut down the turnovers, like Sanchez, but he hasn't been able to make the simple throws that Sanchez was largely able to make once he cut out the ridiculous heaves. What ZW does that has prevented his play from being a disaster is throw the ball very hard. That causes missed passes but it also causes dropped int's of which there have been a few.

Centiment likes this.
  15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

God no - no more 1 or 2 season semi-fixes with aging QBs - we need a long term franchise QB

rammagen likes this.
  16. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Can't believe I'm now defending Zach but I only saw one bad throw yesterday (the int in the 4th that was dropped). I also saw a team that went on the road
    with 10% less oxygen than they're used to win a tough game against a really strong defensive team.

Problem with Denver is their offense sucks. Defensively they are 4th in the league in allowing first downs, but 29th in getting them on offense.
    They are 2nd in yards allowed and 3rd in points allowed. They are 3rd in sacks!

I saw a great win yesterday. If you want to complain, complain about the offensive line but really, against that defense, to show up like they did and
    WIN is a really really good sign.

ColoradoContrails and cmcm750203 like this.
  17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to sacrifice wins because if the QB isn't playing well we aren't going to get any wins now Breece looks to be out

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

It was the Defense that cost us the win against the Steelers

FJF likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yes and no. We put up 19 points. I know defense mattered a lot more in 2010 but that's a pitiful outing.

20. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

If you look at the QBs we’ll be facing the rest of the way, I don’t think we’ll need to worry about winning too many shootouts. We just need Zach to be smart with the ball, take what’s there and make a couple of clutch throws each game. We don’t need gaudy passing numbers. Just limit turnovers and idiotic penalties, and let the running game and defense keep us in every game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.