Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach did not carry the team in the Pitt game. Please stop this. He was nonexistent for 3 quarters. He had a 1 quarter when MLF went QB shotgun with fakes to Breece Hall, and Pitt played soft expecting Zach to throw his 3 INT. And he didn't, and sustained two successful drives. That's it!

The defense kept the team in the entire game. ZW Sustained two drives in the 4th qtr to close out – is NOT carrying the team. Please stop saying this everyone. It's wrong....

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Guys, we have to look at things in context. Did Zach play like shit last two games? Yes, he did, though the game against Packers was not that terrible upon review with the benefit of areal views. Still, these were not good games. However, you have to consider that we played against #1 and #2 passing defenses in the League. Generally QBs do not look great against these teams, particularly younger QBs with limited experience. Against Denver, for instance average passing rating is 75: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/stats/posvsdef/QB/DEN/teambreakdown/standard

Zach delivered 73 passer rating, which is slightly below average. So, as bad as he looked today and last week, this was against #1 and #2 passing defenses, and he looked like an average QB that plays against these teams. We did end up winning. We need to see how Zach does given a larger sample size. Hard to judge when two out of 4 games have been against top 2 passing defenses in the League.

3. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Actually he’s below the passer rating average for every defense he played this year. If you look at all 4 defenses he has played so far. Man, that actually makes the case for the ZW haters.

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

A few thoughts

- context matters…I get the good defenses…wasn’t expecting 250 yards and 2 TDs…BUT…I don’t think it’s too much to ask him to hit receivers when they’re open…he misses WAY too many throws to open guys

- stats in a small sample don’t necessarily tell the whole story, but the more games go by and the more we keep seeing 50% to 55% completion rates the more I worry that that’s who he is…at some point the sample size won’t be too small

- the excuses will also start wearing thin…yes he was under duress a lot today against a very good D, but the OL has been better and the running game has been working…a good QB could take advantage of that and he really hasn’t…same with the drops excuse…way too many off target throws where I’m starting to think that half the drops are due to poor throws

- it’s interesting…I’ve always believed that greatness doesn’t take long to show. I think that holds in a lot of places…for example, with our rookies…Sauce and Hall especially have been pretty great right away. GW has also shown plenty of skills but he needs a QB to get him the ball to shine….JJ was also showing up before he got hurt. Clemons is starting to make plays. So clearly QB is way more complex than those positions, and sure we’ve seen a few flashes from Zach, but we haven’t even seen a complete statement game from him. Still up in the air.

so I’m torn…he’s got good arm talent, he’s athletic and elusive, but man he’s just so inaccurate…and he holds the ball too long…

Hopefully he will improve but I would not say he’s for sure The Guy… not yet…

Pepsiguy5 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Dude, athletic, elusive, Ok but good arm talent, since when? I've yet to see this. I saw it with Patrick Mahomes his first season multiple times. I saw it with Justin Herbert, hell Joe Burrow has arm talent. Zach has none of it. It should have been shown by now. Let's stop pretending.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Zach doesn't have Mahomes or Herbert's arm, but he has Burrow's arm. Unfortunately he doesn't have Burrow's brain.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

They need to start using Zach as a running threat

Yankee6 likes this.
  8. JETFUEL1580

Does he really? it should have been shown by now. Look I accept that he is our starting quarterback. And if we keep continuing to win and Zach doesn't turn the ball over ok. I'm out on him being special and a franchise guy.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That wasn't a compliment; Burrow's arm strength is decent but not great. Burrow's great because of his brain, not his arm. And Zach's missing the brain part.

horsehead and stinkyB like this.
  10. JETFUEL1580

My point was Zach lacks the ability of arm talent and field judgement, which Joe Burrow has mastered. I never mentioned arm strength. By now it should be apparent. And it's not. The guy was the second overall pick, what's exactly is his deal? You can't honestly say you're ok with his performance overall.

Ralebird, NYJetsO12 and Jets69 like this.
  11. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

At best, Jets still have an unproven and mediocre offensive unit. Expecting Zach to just walk in and seamlessly click with a crew that is obviously missing a few pieces is unrealistic. On the bright side, the Jets are learning how to win with an anemic offense that can be quite horrendous at times.

12. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

We're winning despite our QB play, last year we had no receivers fair enough, we wont have any this year if he continues to try and get them killed! I never rated him but would love to be proved wrong.
    Is it too much to ask for a QB that makes everyone else look better rather than one who makes the team look worse?

13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The play early in the game where they challenged the fumble was ridiculous and the crosser to Uzomah that he airmailed were the only two plays that I'll really knock him for. Berrios did him no favors early in the game dropping a big pass that would have kept the chains moving and then Jeff Smith dropped one on a throw that I have no idea how it got between both defenders. Zach deserves to take some heat but the WRs also need to make the plays when given a chance. Both can be true at the same time.

They won the game which is all that matters. New England x2 + Buffalo over the next 3 is definitely going to be a test, but it opens up a little bit after that. I expect him to be better by the years end.

14. Vida

Vida Active Member

The results have gone his way but c'mon, he was very lucky not to have two turnovers today, one INT and one fumble. Lucky not to have an INT last week as well. He's not a bust yet but he hasn't shown enough to say he can be the FQB either. Jury is out but he needs to step up in the 2nd half of the year.

He is 4-0 as a starter but 3 of those wins have come against Trubisky/Pickett, Skylar Thompson and Rypien. Rypien actually looked like the more composed QB today in the 1st half at least making decent connection with his receivers and moving the ball down field. Things will only get tougher for Zach and that starts next week against a Belichick defence. 2x Pats and Buffalo over the next 4 weeks with a bye in between will tell us a bit more about him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

you play who you play, you make mention of the other teams qbs as to a reason why we won. I look at it the other way we lost 5 tackles in one yr due to injuries, Zack was running for his life. Did he look great the last two games, nope but he did not turn the ball over and make stupid plays. He almost did but the fumble was ruled down.
    By the logic above we should have lost these games because the top two passing defensives was facing an bad oline. I would like to see MLF plan a better game calling plays to ZW's strengths

Vida and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach has the rest of this season to show he can play, but I just don't see it happening with what he has shown so far. The only hope I have is that we can call plays that fit his strengths, but he hasn't shown any strengths. I see backup QBs, even rookie QBs this year that seem way more poised in the pocket and able to hit receivers in stride. If we had anyone other than Flacco or White, fans would be screaming for them, but we all know they are shit. Zach seems to be at the stage, I'm seeing ghosts, and if we want just a mobile QB, put Streveler in, at least he is exciting to whatch.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I saw some highlights of the Bengals game and watched Joe Burrow flinging that football every which way but loose. Must be nice, but I wouldn't know.

We don't have Joe Burrow or even his 5th cousin twice removed but I did see shades of The Chimp yesterday. I don't think Wilson is Sanchez, too smart; but like I said, I did see shades and the old urge to throw peanut shells at the TV paid me a visit.

I'm not gonna complain about a win but Wilson needs to show a big jump and stay there. At what point after 55 years do I legitimately lose my patience with this organization for good? Don't answer that.

Brook! and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  18. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Dgaf about ur faith, tbh. The road is long and hard.

19. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

And the next three weeks we play NE and buffalo and NE… what is their passing defense like?

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My apologies to my friend NC but...

My comparison with Wilson is Trevor L who played an awesome game yesterday and making big NFL strides.. Wilson seems to be treading water

ZW holds the damn ball too long..when will he learn?

ZW can have 2-3 inaccurate drives where his passes are off the mark..then one crucial drive he hits all the receivers

No consistency here ...and that's not what FQB does or my goodness our #2 pick in the draft!

I see hard decisions coming for JD and Saleh on excluding Flacco..making it a QB competion

OTOH this argument means nothing if we keep winning games..they won't make a change till they have to:rolleyes:

Royal Tee and Jets79 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.