MLF

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JackBower, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

You'll see all you need to see during the Patriots game

2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

And that's his biggest perk

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think what a lot of people miss when analyzing young quarterbacks is that the ability to recognizing the rush is a part of playing well. It’s about seeing that you have a protection deficiency before the ball is snapped and then knowing what you’re going to with the rock when it’s snapped and you know you’re going to be under pressure.

Wilson looks shocked every time this happens which is what’s concerning. He’s done an awesome job in getting away from it though and it’s kept him alive and upright. His ability to escape is really good, but his pre snap reads need to get much better and he will be able to complete 6 yard stops in the face of pressure.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only gripe I have with LaFleur is that I'd like to see him call more quick hitters for Zach, slants, quick outs, etc. That said, Zach has to do his part and improve his accuracy.
    IDK if he's shocked, but he does need to improve in this area.

5. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I agree he looks like a deer in headlights and it’s even when he has a clean pocket. It’s like he’s already in panic mode and can’t go through his reads at all. It’s really concerning and if he plays like that again. You have to make a move in game even if it’s just for that game. You can’t have your offense go 7 straight 3 n out, or multiple times can’t pick up 1 yard on third or fourth drives to kill a drive constantly. That will kill your D and gas them, we got lucky enough today won’t work against good teams at all

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll be amazed if we win one of those three games, given the way ZW is playing. He's often looked worse than the scrub quarterbacks he's been matched with, although this may be due to his rib injury. Anyway, maybe the defense will continue to play at a playoff level, and the Jets can pull another rabbit out of the hat.

7. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

MLF seems to have "smartest guy in the room" syndrome. Always trying to outsmart the other guy rather than leaning on the strengths of the offense. The Jets first series is a prime example. Everyone knows the run game has been a strength, so come out slinging.
    Also, the zone blocking scheme is designed to clear the edge for the RBs, so let's jam it into the line for 2 yards.
    Stop trying to fool people and match your strengths against theirs, mano a mano.

Jojo, Cman68 and cmcm750203 like this.
  8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

We threw a slant to WG-17 for the Game winning TD in Cleveland ...w/Flaccooooooooh ok.

papapump likes this.
  9. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Yeah, Zach looks terrible, & his accuracy is what it is (why I've always been concerned with him, & didn't want the Jets to pick him)... but, what exactly has MLF done, in his playcalling, to help put Zach in a better position to succeed? I can think of a few things he could do, but to all those that keep defending MLF, please tell me, other than running the ball, what has he done to help Zach (or the O) get into any kind of passing rhythm? Every game is the same. Slow-developing plays. Few slants. Moore being a decoy, rather utilizing his play-making ability. Aside from a few gadget plays, MLF seems overwhelmed by how to utilize the talent he's been given to work with. It's great the Jets have been winning, but how long will it last, without a passing offense? That aside, how 'bout the toughness & resilience of the younguns on this team, on all sides of the ball!

10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe that. Nor could Saleh who was standing about 2 yards away. The helmet to helmet was worse but that one one GW was so obvious and so late it was ridiculous.

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The lack of slants and crossing routes in general is concerning. I don't have the All22 so I can't tell if they are just not being called or ZW just isn't seeing them (or is avoiding throwing them). There is definitely a hint of smartest guy in the room about MLF but he's miles better in general then anything I've seen on the Jets in years. And he definitely makes more adjustments than he predecessors. I'd rather that than the other way round. Denver is a legit D so I'll give him some slack. Be interesting to see how he adjusts over the next 3 games without his go to guy. That will be a better indicator than one game.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

MLF has to do better to get the offense into a groove to start. I think the 2nd half is when the offense turns up and gets better so I’ll give MLF some props that they at least make adjustments. But his scripted 15 lately leaves a lot to be desired.

Noam, dawinner127 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

THIS!
    Successful slants require timing and the ability to lead/hit the receiver in stride....

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

MLF has been pretty bad reading the flow of the game. How the hell are you not getting your young QB in rhythm to start a game? It's either heavy on the run (up the middle) or long-developing plays where Zach needs time and has to make a throw. Slant? Screen? Sideline ball? For the love of god help him out. Doesn't help when he finally has a slant called and he delivers it behind the WR. Of course it should have been caught by an NFL WR, which Mims is not.

Without Breece we need MLF to wake the fuck up. Running up the middle with Michael Carter will not and has not worked. And when that doesn't work Zach is going to be forced into more 3rd and 7 throws where someone undoubtedly runs in front of the sticks.

Jojo likes this.
  15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Leaping in after he was body slammed

16. BroadwayAaron

*WWE Superstar

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the plays are "long-developing" because the QB is indecisive

SOJAZ and Ralebird like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

Of course this is your opinion.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Its your opinion then that Lafleur changed his offense for Zach Wilson? Flacco got the ball out quickly as did Mike White last year

20. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I could see Zach getting benched in the next few weeks if he continues playing like this. We still have to develop G Wilson and Moore. Right now, their development is being delayed because of Zach. Also, we have a chance to make the playoffs. Something we haven't experienced in 12 years. Flacco or even Mike White could be the starting QB in the playoffs (if we get there).