Does Joe Douglas get GM of the year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 17, 2022.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I'm content to say barring injury the Jets will have both the defensive rookie of the year and the offensive rookie of the year. Even then I'm not certain Breece Hall is the OROY. Garrett Wilson might just have something to say about that.

Either way you slice it, besides Jeremy Ruckert, this Jets draft class is probably the best in organization history. I'm well aware of the 2000 draft but I still believe this draft class is better and by a large margin.

Without looking at this point this draft class might very well be in the conversation for one of the best draft classes in league history.

Now, understand the Jets have the very hardest part of their schedule still yet to come. They still have 4 games left against playoff teams NE and Buffalo. But the rookies and second year players are the main reason why we're winning right now.

It's a credit to Joe Douglas for his drafting and hiring prowess that the Jets have managed to flip the script so quickly. Just two years ago this team didn't have a prayer for success.

So I ask you, is Joe Douglas the GM of the year? I know Howie Roseman made some great moves in Philly and Erik Decosta had an A+ draft in Baltimore but I see the great drafting success and the emergence of the NYJ as stealing the show when people vote for GM of the year......

Noam and mrjet80 like this.
  2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Idk, he didn't lower taxes in Jersey so Hill went to the Dolphins.

3. NYJ1970

Lol
    Somehow I don't think he has any control over taxes.....

4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

When did we draft Devin Lloyd and Chris Olave?

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

He'd win the All Decade GM award if Becton and Zack could play the game of football. But, alas, Joe Douglas may only get the 2022 award.

6. NYJ1970

Devin Lloyd is in the conversation for DROY but Chris Olave has 25 receptions for 389 2 TD. Breece Hall meanwhile is on track for an excellent all-purpose yardage season. And that's strictly for the DROY and OROY debate. The Jets overall draft class is one for the ages.....

7. NYJ1970

May I suggest you step back from the ledge? Becton’s out. Get over it. Zach, however, is 3-0 this season. He was the reason why the Jets beat the Steelers and he certainly hasn't done anything to make the Jets lose in the last 2 games.....

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

As of today the 2022 draft class is much better than the 2000 draft class. Still a ways to go though but it looks very promising.

The Jets have a ton of young talent. There are still some iffy areas but as a whole this is a dangerous young team. Zach needs to be brought along and at some point he will have to beat a team with his arm and I’m not just talking a couple of fourth quarter drives.

I say one more solid offseason and this team will be on par with Buffalo….it wouldn’t be fair to expect JD to equal this draft class but another good draft and this team can be good for a long time …..

9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Many on this board criticized the GM for not paying Robbie Anderson. I think we should leave it to JD to make the decisions.

10. mrjet80

Yeah Becton may get another chance next year simply because he’s still on his rookie contract but most likely he won’t get a second one. The Jets will have to consider looking at another OT in the draft …..

11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'd think he is among the favorites right now. I couldn't tell you what other GMs are in the running.

At the end of the year, the Jets could potentially have the DROY in Saunce, and OROY in Breece. If that wasn't enough, Garrett Wilson, Jermaine Johnson, Max Mitchell and Michael Clemons all look to be solid to good at minimum. The only blemish is Ruckert, but he's buried on the depth chart and TE's usually take a bit longer to development. He's more of a question mark than a bust.

Depending on their final record, GM of the year and coach of the year could both happen (although it'll probably be Daboll)

ColoradoContrails and NYJ1970 like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As I pointed out in the thread on rookie contributions, consider the 1977 NY Jets draft: Marvin Powell, Wesley Walker, Joe Klecko, Dan Alexander, Scott Dierking, Kevin Long, and Matt Robinson.

I definitely think that JD should garner strong consideration for Executive of the Year. I think if the Jets make the playoffs, he will win. He could still win even if they don't, but imo it's less likely, although I think he deserves it regardless. In addition to the draft, signing Tomlinson, Reed, Uzomah, Conklin, Whitehead, Thomas, Martin, and Zuerline in FA, re-signing Berrios and Flacco, then adding Brown, Kwon Alexander and Nate Herbig were huge.

#12 NCJetsfan, Oct 17, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. When this draft class' play exceeds the play of Pennington, Ellis, Abraham, Coles and Becht over the same length of time, then you can say it's better. At this point, it has more potential, but it hasn't outplayed the class of 2000, nor has it even begun to touch the play of the 1977 draft class.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  14. NYJ1970

100% agreed. They're definitely on their way. If not this year (they can even now) definitely next year we'll be ready to take on Buffalo and win....

15. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Only if Wilson takes a major step forward. He will have to be more than just a game manager. Allen makes bigtime throws/plays all the time for the Bills.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I sure hope not, as the GM of the year award is the kiss of death for many.

17. mrjet80

As of now (6 games) these draft prospects have outplayed the 2000 draftees after their first 6 games. Abraham was the only one of those four that shot out like a cannon - so far every pick has exceeded their expectations - to this point anyway.

Of course things can happen in the future like injuries - that’s what derailed Pennington who looked like the real deal for a couple years.

The poster didn’t mention 1977 but as of now that draft probably holds the title of best Jets draft. The 2022 draft has the potential to take that over too….

18. mrjet80

It has more potential but after 6 games played by both rookie classes but the 2022 class is better. That could change of course. But Gardner appears to be a legit shut down CB (ROYC), Hall looks to be a potential 1000 yard rusher (ROYC), Wilson could be a #1 WR - playing steady at least. Jermaine Johnson playing steady until his injury. Mitchell and Clemons both contributing quite well - the former before his injury.

In 2000 you had Abraham - was in ROY consideration, Ellis, played well also, slightly below Abraham's level, Pennington who was on the bench, Cole who didn’t break out until the later part of the season, and Becht who was ok but more of a blocking TE.

Remember I’m comparing the draft classes at this point. A lot can change …..

EDIT It seems I answered you twice didn’t mean to do that I thought I was answering another post…

#18 mrjet80, Oct 17, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. mrjet80

1977 would be the Jets best overall draft attributing to each players contributions. But 2022 eventually could surpass…..