2022 - Week 5: New York Jets vs Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 2, 2022.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2022.
  1. Jets

56.1%
  2. Dolphins

43.9%
  1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's the fun of it.
    You get the same shit at the stadium.

Quit taking everything so seriously... you'll live longer. ;)

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Uh....ok.

3. bicketybam

I watch the games with my son, my brother or my nephews. No one is as dour as the guys that post on the game threads. And I'm talking about the guys that only post in that thread. You won't see them post anytime else.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Great. Simply allow the best receivers of each opponent to catch every single pass sent their way = Championship! Damn the rushing yardage, damn the penalties, damn the first downs, damn the touchdowns set up, just keep that yard count stat low. But of course, that is not where the "debate should be centered," hell - it shouldn't even be considered, right?

5. Ralebird

How about thinking they were shut down at all when of the thirteen passes sent their way thirteen were either complete or became first downs due to penalties and, in total, accounted for eight first downs and 165 yards? Only five were defended cleanly. Is that not even a concern for some of you?

#325 Ralebird, Oct 11, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  6. Ralebird

It was a great sack/safety but I believe it was Tua Tagovailoa who actually knocked Bridgewater out of the game.

#326 Ralebird, Oct 11, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    ouchy likes this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The numbers simply don't support your silly argument.
    Both Hill and Waddle had their lowest yard average per catch... by far.
    They both had their worst game of the season... by far.

If I was you... I'd pivot and blame the 3rd string quarterback.
    It's a better argument... but not by much.

Tyreek Hill
    #3 in reception yards
    #4 in receptions
    #7 in targets
    #5 in 1st down receptions
    1st in 20+ yards receptions
    1st in 40+ yards receptions

Jaylen Waddle
    #10 in reception yards
    #4 in rec. td's
    #7 in 1st down receptions
    1st in 20+ yards receptions
    4th in 40+ yards receptions

8. Ralebird

Thank god I don't take advice from you.

I know full well what their yardage numbers were, I have quoted them numerous times and was even able to add them together properly. If I was you...I would get a calculator. Therefore, I believe I could probably use long division to determine yards per catch as well. I haven't said those numbers were bad for the Jets what I have said, and apparently you and maybe others cannot fathom, is that a singular stat does not tell the entire story. I suppose allowing every pass thrown their way to be completed is a sign to you that everything is well in D-land. And I guess the first down is an overrated concept. You do you then.

9. bicketybam

Hahahahahahaha. Come on! It's ok to be wrong

cval and Acad23 like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

But it’s not a singular stat. In addition to holding those two to their lowest yardage output of the season, how about 17 points given up? That’s pretty good. How about a W? That’s even better.

I’m trying to understand your point…if you’re saying our D wasn’t perfect well yeah the only perfect defense I guess would be a shutout. But if you’re not impressed with how we held them to 17 points and how the game plan was to not let those two guys gash us big (yes at the expense of the run game), then I don’t know what you really expected from our defense.

the plan was to not let them dominate and they didn’t. And we won.

do we need to keep improving on D? Yes agree. Our run D needs to be better. We need to defend screens better (and that’s been true for years). We’re not going to hold down everyone all the time, but shit if we give up 17 points we’re going to win our share of those games.

so if you’re trying to say that our defense did not play well because those two caught every ball their way and made first downs, then I guess I just don’t agree with that point of view. Those are very good receivers…while I like our WR depth better, we still don’t have a guy like Hill who has PROVEN that he’s a home run threat on every catch. He’s really good. We did a good job on D…I think it would likely have been different with Tua or even Teddy, but we also made our own luck there too. And shit, we had our backup QB for more games than they have, so I’m not going to feel a bit sorry for them there.

11. bicketybam

Good luck, bro.

ColoradoContrails, cval and Acad23 like this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Who said "everything is well in D-land"? That's your strawman...

All that was said is that Hill & Waddle were kept in check.
    Yeah... they caught every ball thrown their way. So what... that's not how the game is scored.

They were held to their lowest yards gained and lowest average per catch this season... by a lot.
    You simply don't understand the merit of that and how it affected the outcome of the game.

I realize you're just on this board to be argumentative and crack dad jokes.
    Take my advice and stick to what you know... 'cause football sure ain't it.

bicketybam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Ralebird

laugh at the mirror - or show what I have written is wrong.

14. Ralebird

Of course giving up only 17 is good but it's not something I talked about here - why would you bring that up? That's not something I have addressed here, nor is the win, which is always good. If you want to understand my point go back to my comment here to whoever it was that was claiming the Jets defense significantly "slowed down" Hill and Waddle without seeing that the Jets defense did not stop a single pass to either; they then focused solely on receiving yards for the two - a single stat which is what I was answering. It's fine that you don't agree, be as impressed as you want to be, but don't demand that of others, there's certainly more work to be done. When's the last time Hill and Waddle didn't miss a pass?

There's a lot more football to be played this season - why not let some more of it play out to see what's really happening with this team instead of jumping to conclusions and expecting others to also take the leap?

15. Ralebird

You are 100% correct about the bolded, but the game also is not scored on how much yardage two cherry picked guys get by catching the ball. Neither is it scored on the stats you keep repeating; the defense is not tasked with keeping statistics in check unless you're playing fantasy football. I think part of the problem here is that too many guys are looking at fantasy points rather than points across the goal line. This time the Jets won but the penalties and first downs given up won't allow that every game, even if you don't care about them.

Take your advice? You are very slow on the uptake about that. You're worse at football than you are at memes. And the next time you realize anything accurate about me will be the first.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

People will really find a way to piss and moan about anything.

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Some people will never give up on an argument no matter how flawed.

Ralebird is not trying to be negative he just like arguing and will not admit he is wrong or let it go no matter what facts are provided.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well I brought up those other things in response to your comment about someone cherry picking receiver yardage as a single stat to claim we slowed the down. You’re claiming we didn’t slow them down based on a different cherry picked stat which is number of catches. Also important obviously, but one could argue that receiving yards are more important than number of catches too.

I don’t know…if you had told me before the game that we’d hold both of those guys to less than 100 yards combined I’d have signed up for that in a second, and honestly I wouldn’t have believed it.

totally agree that there’s a lot more football, totally agree that our D, while seemingly improved from last year so far, still has a way to go to be playoff caliber, no one is claiming we’ve arrived. But we’re getting better.

im not demanding anyone feel a certain way….show me where I said that? I actually like the discourse and I like debating different points of view. As long as people attack the post not the poster, I’m good with the debate.

I never said you’re wrong or demanded you agree with me. I actually wanted to understand your point of view here, and if it’s that we actually did not slow down their receivers because they caught every ball thrown their way and they got first downs and caused some PI penalties, fine. I would argue that yardage is important, and in that respect, we held them to their lowest output of the year, and it impacted their ability to score…no big plays, no explosion plays, no long TDs. With players that good, not sure ANY defense is going to hold them down 100%. Maybe the 1985 Bears, maybe Revis in his prime could slow down Hill, who knows. But to me, I believe we did slow them down. Yardage matters. If you don’t agree then that’s fine…we can just disagree.

but I’ll say this…if we hold them down to similar yardage next time we play (doubtful as I’m assuming they’ll have a better QB on the field), sign me up now.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Trying to say Waddle and Hill had a good game because they caught a bunch of 3 yard crossers is asinine. But that’s the world that RB lives in.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good observations. To add to your point. The Jets were successful in pass rushing with 4 people all day long and they got to the QB. Awesome. Hill and Waddle were kept in check. A tremendous feat by our entire D. It was the best performance from our front line I have seen in forever. Kudos to the CS for such a game. Yet there are a few here that are arguing the CS was suspect and Hill and Waddle were far from being slowed down. Utter and absolute nonsense, unless you think slowing down means zere catches, zero yards, zero rushes, no points.
    IMO, for Miami, it's the WRs explosiveness and running game that has elevated the play of the QBs by a bunch, not the other way around.

Borat, Jets79, Noam and 2 others like this.