Rookie contributions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Oct 4, 2022.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Four games used to be a convenient quarter of a season, and a decent time to have a look into rookie contributions. The 17-game schedule has messed that up a bit, but I think our rookie class, so far, is looking special. We have seen contributions from everyone except Jeremy Ruckert.

Here are some key stats for our top four rookies, along with extrapolations for how this production would look over a full season - not guaranteed, of course).

Sauce Gardner
    5 passes defended
    15 tackles, 1 tackle-for-loss

Garrett Wilson
    Rushing: 1 carry for -2 yards
    Receiving: 39 targets, 20 receptions, 255 yards, 2 TDs (85 receptions, 1084 yards and 8 TDs over a season)

Jermaine Johnson
    Sacks: 1.5 (6 sacks over a season)
    QB hits: 2
    Tackles: 12, 2 tackles-for-loss)

Breece Hall
    Rushing: 38 carries for 178 yards, 1 TD (757 yards and 4 TDs over a season)
    Receiving: 27 targets, 15 receptions, 113 yards, 1 TD (480 yards and 4 TDs over a season)

Max Mitchell has also been far from a disaster in his emergency stand-in role and hopefully will pick up where he left off when he comes back from injury.

This makes such a welcome change from those years where we have waited patiently for a rookie to do anything. The early signs are that this is a special draft class.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12, Borat and 23 others like this.
  2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

No doubt thus far this years draft has been a home run for Douglas.

3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Great way to look at this--also Ruckert has played 29 ST snaps and I'm pretty sure he hasn't gotten a penalty so there's that. The drop he had from Flacco was a dumb pass that we knew from scouting he was not expected to catch at this point in his career.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Would love to see Johnson start at WDE. Clemons as the backup. JFM inside.

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Good post - agree with everybody else too. All JD needs now is another solid off season. He has to solve this OL once and for all. The Jets need to draft another young OT since it appears they will not be able to count on Becton going forward. A center will be a need also. The LB core could use an infusion as well- a pash rushing OLB would do wonders for this defense and Moseley is going to need to be replaced.

I hope he focuses on those two positions in the offseason - not saying to ignore other spots - but if he fixes those the Jets will be a real dangerous team going forward.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think the coaching staff needs to reverse how they use MC and Hall. MC is a bit more fluid with softer hands in the passing game especially after getting his rookie year under his belt. Less explosive in the open field which is why they’re trying to get Hall the ball in the passing game.

I want to see Hall line up 8 yards deep and take some wide zone runs so he can use a cut back lane. He did it masterfully in college and I think he’s the better rusher than MC.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I want to see literally anyone do this. We must be the only team running a “wide zone“ scheme that only runs inside the tackles. I understand the line is a train wreck right now but as you are pointing out, it’s a total waste of Hall‘s talent to be using him the way we have the first four games.

8. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

That might be related to having 4 OTs on the IR. It's is frustrating to watch the running game though.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we continue to draft well and do poorly with free agents it might be our scouting department that deserves the credit and not JD.

Easy to pass a test (the draft) if someone is feeding you the answers.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t know about our tackles in particular but the wide zone can usually hide a bit of offensive line talent deficiencies. The Vikings are a good example. They’ve had pretty mediocre offensive lineman over the past couple years but they’ve generally ran the ball pretty well because they find good scheme fits.

Wide zone is about getting in front of a defender and letting his momentum carry him where he wants to go. That’s what creates seams.

It looks more like we run more of an inside zone concept relying on combo blocks.

BrooklynJetsFan and Red Menace like this.
  11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'd like to see JFM outside--of the organization.

WoodyHarrelson likes this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think we could also use a safety…Joyner had a great game against Pitt and if he keeps that up then we may be good there but if he plays like he has the first three games then we need an upgrade.

hopefully it’s coming together and he’ll be fine the rest of the year but I think safety all f with OL and a pass rusher who can close would be great

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is exactly what we are doing and it’s unbelievably frustrating when you consider the skill set of Hall and the never ending revolving door at 3 of our 5 OL positions.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I wonder if LaFleur is keeping it simple for our patchworked O-line.
    Have we seen any plays involving a pulling guard?

I'm not savvy on line play... but our two feature backs should be seeing bigger & better gaps... in my opinion.

NCJetsfan and Jojo like this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Pretty sure the CS has a lot of say when it comes to FA signings and draft picks.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Every team has pro scouts too.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Sauce is looking damn good, and once our Oline can get better hoping Breece can bust of his shell

WilsonJetsFan likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Add avt, the Carters and Moore and the last 2 drafts have netted a bigger return than all of Rex/Tanny/ idizic and mac combined.

hornblower, Brook!, Jets79 and 5 others like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A shame no other GM thought of this in the last 10 years.

Though it is the first time I have ever seen somebody knock a GM because a scouting department has finally done a good job, undoubtedly they will have passed on reports on the players, it is their bloody job to do so, along with the 50 other players JD didn't draft.

hornblower likes this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This has to be one of the worst takes ever made on this board.