Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

They should get out of the first round but no way they are beating the Dodgers in round 2. This series probably means they lose in round 2 now instead of round 3.

Good season but they need more bats.

stinkyB and dawinner127 like this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

There is no doubt in my mind Cohen goes crazy and pays Judge with a blank check after seeing how Atlanta's power just dominated our SP. Similar to something how Matz said no to us, okay F you, and he went and gave Max $43/yr.

JetBlue likes this.
  4. dawinner127

If any of you guys need a laugh this morning here you go --

NSFW because of language, but I think he sums it up pretty well on how we all feel.

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Someone needs to tell that guy that Uncle Stevie is opening the vault for Judge.

6. dawinner127

Are you going to switch over to the team in Queens when your boy Judge comes over?

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm good

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If the Cards lose to the other WC we would we play Atlanta as the WC with the better record?

Im just curious; I have no real hope of this team beating either the Dodgers or Braves in the second round.

9. dawinner127

Nah. It doesn't reseed. We are locked into Padres (Idk what it would take for Philly to jump SD as the #2 WC since they are only a game back, but I think SD has the tie-breaker). So it would have to go Padres, Dodgers, into Cards/Braves/Phillies NLCS.

10. JetBlue

I see; record doesn’t matter. I suppose the Dodgers get screwed by having to play the Mets or Padres in the second round instead of the Cardinals or Phillies.

11. dawinner127

Most definitely.

I think it should absolutely reseed. Right now the advantage the dodgers and Braves have for winning the division and getting the bye is you get to set your pitching rotation in the NLDS to how you want it. The teams playing in the wildcard will either be throwing their #3 or #4 in G1 of the NLDS because they’ll be burning their 1 2 or 3 in the WC.

12. JetBlue

Being able to throw DeGrom and Sherzer 4-5 times in 7 games was the Mets only chance. Without that ability they aren’t beating anyone.

dawinner127 likes this.
  13. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Full Disclosure: I am Yankees fan, on the outside, looking in.

Mets fans have a perfectly good right to be upset right now, and I am not here to rub it in. But I have to raise this point; I do not understand how Mets fans can be angry at Billy Eppler right now, especially regarding the trade deadline. There reality is, to acquire talent at the trade deadline, you need to give up talent. My question to any Mets fan who is angry at Eppler right now is simply this: What real talent were the New York Mets in position to trade at the trade deadline? Most, not all, of the Mets' real talent was acquired at the start of the season, so it was unlikely any of the were going to be traded. It is unlikely anyone would pick up Lindor's contact. and it is highly unlikely DeGrom would have been traded. And before you you say "Trade Prospects", there is a risk, large or small, that Jacob DeGrom will not be a Met next year. Is not REALLY the time to give up on your home grown prospects?

The Mets as a HUGE threat when it comes to free agency. They have enough money that they could afford to sign BOTH Jacob DeGrom AND Aaron Judge, if the owner wanted it. But Trading? Different story: They simply did not have the assets to make a major trade IMHO.

JetBlue likes this.
  14. dawinner127

Why are we even discussing someone taking on Lindor and his contract ? He has the highest WAR of any shortstop in the MLB. I don’t even understand the point you are trying to make about that.

The Mets decision to do this platoon bullshit at DH, not address catcher, and not address the BP is why they are where they are. You don’t want to make a move and trade the prospects? Fine, I’m with it. Bring up the kids earlier in the season and let them get 100 AB before the postseason. The fact that they are relying on Alvarez and Vientos right now to make an impact in the biggest series of the season is an absolute joke. Vientos came up in a huge spot last night for the first time in a week. Alvarez comes up from the minors and gets multiple opportunities to do something. How can you expect anything from them? It’s asinine.

Edit -

Vientos, Ramirez and Baty could easily have been moved. F the prospects. Half the time those guys don’t even amount to anything in the MLB. You have an owner who is willing to go above and beyond with the check book. You can replenish the farm system at the same time of improving your team.

Example — look at your team you cheer for. Remember when cashman had Sanchez, Torres, Andujar, Frazier, who else? They got nothing for any of them. Torres is the only one who is a legit player.

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Rainout tonight, doubleheader tomorrow starting at 4:10 PM, Walker and Carrasco (shudder) pitching.

16. dawinner127

Does it shock anyone here that Marlins are up 4-0 through 3?

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That's a final. The Mets are still alive! ;)

dawinner127 likes this.
  18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

it’s going to come down to 162 for the biggest gut punch of the year, isn’t it?

JetBlue likes this.
  19. dawinner127

So I just read that the Phillies have the tie breaker over San Diego and are a game back. The Astros pulled their players in the middle of the game last night.

One Padre loss and a Philly win and we could be getting Nola + Wheeler on Friday/Sat

20. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

If I were a Phillies fan I wouldn't want to bypass the Padres. Could be the worst thing they do to themselves. I'd rather Cards into Braves...Vs Mets into Dodgers.

For us I don't think either team is a cake walk but playing the phillies would be better obviously. Us having to face Darvish doesn't seem appealing when he seems to own us. Off the top of my head I don't think they hit Snell well either.

#11880 NYGalPal, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    dawinner127 likes this.