Dear Jets Fans, enjoy the day...Next game Dolphins... Win and we are 3-2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

He was inconsistent…he threw a bad pick that cost us potential field goal, there was a short dump off to GW on a quick in cut that he layered in there way too hard instead of touching that ball into him (shades of last year where he couldn’t make the short easy dump offs), and in the end the stat line was not great…50% completion and two picks to one TD. His overall QB rating was not very good.

that being said, this was a great example of when the stats don’t really tell the full story. Many of the incompletions were throw away to avoid sacks…that’s a good thing. His mobility was definitely huge playing behind a makeshift OL. And of course the biggest thing of all, he made money plays on two fourth quarter drives to win the damn game. On the road. Against a very good defense. And a team that has pretty much owned us for years.

so yeah, over the long haul, you are what you’re record says you are, and the stats will show what you are as well.

but in short spans or windows, sometimes the stats don’t reflect how well (or how badly) a player played. Kirk Cousins is a great example of the opposite effect, where he usually has great stats…high completion rate, TDs, lots of yards, and yet somehow he doesn’t really live up to that and he’s not winning as many games as you’d think he should.

Just the way it is

I think Zach was uneven but kudos to him for pulling an exciting win out of it.

here hoping he can build on it and get more consistent as the OL gets better….we definitely have the weapons

Noam likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He's a great locker room guy.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Did the Jets release a PR saying that? My friend said the same thing to me yesterday when I asked where he is lol.

I’d like to see Ruckert. He’s a big dude and can help in multiple ways.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

How about we enjoy being ahead of the Patriots, who are currently living where they belong, in the cellar.

NY Jets68 and Acad23 like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think if you rewatch all his throws (I think @cval has a kink to them in another thread) you might change your assessment. Most of his throws were good. Of the incompletions at least 3-4 should've been caught; another 5-6 were thrown away under heavy pressure and were "good" incompletions. The only 2 bad throws I saw were the INT on the deep throw to the flag right before the half, and the short throw to the right flat in the red zone where he threw it about 3 yards in front of the receiver. I might've missed one or two others, but that's not "trash" by my assessment.

Jets79 and cval like this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Zach was under pressure and had to throw it side arm. But the ball did not go off Conklin's finger tips because it was so high he couldn't get to it. It went through his hands. It was not a great pass, but Conklin has to catch that.

You're right. Let enjoy the victory. Maybe talk about all the throws that he made in the 4th quarter. He did throw one that was high to Davis, but Davis caught it.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I forgot where I heard that... but who knows.

He seems like a nice guy... :rolleyes:

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The CVAL link did not have all the plays. I believe it omitted the two drops by G. Wilson. There were 6 drops total (2 on Wilson, 2 hall, 1 Conklin and I believe number 6 was another Conklin?). 4 really bad passes by Wilson. 2 were bad decisions. The INT and The almost INT broken up by Wilson. The 2 short throws where his mechanics fail him and he tries to arm short throws to Wilson and Hall with his left foot pointed left of the target and the two throws are all arm and no body. Watching it live it seemed a lot worse than watching it the second time. But, what was striking to me he was running for his life most of the game but never gave up. I think last year he would have taken a lot of sacks with those 22 pressures. Today 1 sack in 22 pressures last he took sacks at a 26 percent pressure rate. I was impressed by his avoidance of sacks and throwaways. That was the biggest improvement. Wilson was not the problem the 1st 3 quarters when he got time he was accurate and tearing up the defense. The problem was and will likely remain the OL. The drops and the bad passes by Wilson were bad but the OL was the biggest problem by far.

#48 Noam, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Thanks for the clarification. Still not "trash" by any measure. I bet if you were to go and watch any number of games Favre or Elway, two great QBs who come to mind, you'd see them have "trash" games but still wind up winning; same thing for Namath. I'll take that "trash" any day.

Noam likes this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

"Trash" is a pretty gross exaggeration. Context matters. There were some good plays and some really bad plays by Wilson in the 1st 3 quarters. His play was more good than bad especially when you factor in how his mobility gave us a chance. But, on the other side we should not ignore the bad tape. This game was well in hand before the 1st pick. It was a bad play that completely changed the game. There are a lot of things that need to be cleaned up by Wilson and the offense. I would not make any conclusions about Wilson long term good or bad. We should just be happy we won and hope to see continued improvement by him and the rest of his supporting cast. Without improvement in the OL I don't see how Wilson can succeed. That should be our main concern before judging him. Everything I saw yesterday said Wilson was not the problem it was the OL. Fix that and maybe we might have an offense. Trash sounds a lot like a comment made by someone who is heartbroken that we won.

11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

we have a few guys on this team now who play with some swagger -- not too much, but enough that the other guys actually think we can win

time to squish the fish

ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Well even that pick before the half I have to put a good portion of the blame on LaFleur until I hear otherwise. Why was that play called or even an option in that situation? But Zach also has to learn from that and become more situationally aware himself and check off the call in that case. As TomDeb pointed out, there was no reason to be throwing deep there when all they needed was a couple of yards to be in FG range and go into the locker room 13-3.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Zach said he did not see the CB cheating and coming over and he needed to be aware of that CB.

bicketybam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

DJ Reed signing was absolutely huge and he brings another level of confidence to the secondary. Was nice to see the safety’s finally play decent feel like Whitehead hasn’t been popping out on tape for me like I thought he would

Jets79, cval and Noam like this.
  15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put any store in what TV analysts say at halftime when they are given ten seconds to spout something attention-grabbing. He started solidly. Led the team to a decent 10-point lead, then he pretty much fell apart, so he was inconsistent rather than awful. His third quarter was bad too, then he was lights out on the last two drives.

Added to the fact that the offensive line was cobbled together like Frankenstein's nightmare and the Steelers frequently had players making a tackle while the ball was being handed off, I think he overcame a lot.

Coming out of the first four games (all against the AFC North, which had everyone pissing their pants before the season) with a 2-2 record is really encouraging. It seems some people want a perfect game and that doesn't happen often, but he got us a win and he was a big part of it, so I'n feeling good today.

Jets79 and Acad23 like this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

@Jonathan_Vilma is just upset that he didn't put down money on the Jets to win... :p

Brook! likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Lol I don’t get upset about football. It was a profitable weekend on that front. :)

I think Wilson played pretty poorly for the first three quarters. Others disagree, so there must be sarcasm and anger directed my way for thinking that.

The great GIF war of early 2021 has really damaged some folks and there’s lingering trauma.

On the game front, I’ve said it a couple times that yesterday was a huge step forward for Wilson and I expect it to continue against Miami especially with some home cooking versus a backup QB. Despite not believing he played very well, he was still incredibly calm and had good bounce in his step throughout the entire game which again is a big step forward.

Last year when he struggled, he looked really defeated and started to dirt balls the second half. This week he kept firing and most importantly there was not a single play where he panicked.

18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I definitely wouldn't say that Zach was blameless on the Conklin interception. It was high and hard and I doubt anyone catches that every time. The greater share of blame goes to Conklin though. Zach may have done about as well as could reasonably be expected in that situation. Just one of those things really. If that's how his interceptions come from here on I can live with it.