Sen. Joe Addabbo wants the Jets to come back to Queens

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ROCCO, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

They secured 850 mil, most of which was from the state (600) and the rest from county (250). They ownership will need to fund the rest of the bill. They didn't need to deal with NYC politicians, which is a completely different ball game. That's what stopped WSS in older example and that's what stopped Amazon HQ in a more recent one. Also, Bills stadium is 50 years old. I could see ownership group investing a billion or so once every 50 years. Woody just did 12 years ago. In 20 years this may be a different conversation.

As far as timing, Bills are set to start building next year, with all agreements reached over a year ago. And they will move in 2026. It's not happening in 2026 for the Jets. Next opportunity is 3031, and it will likely be a similar story.

Noam likes this.
  2. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

And it'll be worth the wait, as the Jets' rebuild will finally be complete!

KingRoach, twown and Ralebird like this.
  3. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Although this would be great, I don’t see it happening.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

$850 Million from taxpayers over 30 years "as well as" $250 million, "in addition to" $600 million from the state.

"Under their 30-year lease with New York State and Erie County for construction of the new stadium, the Bills will get a record $850 million from public taxpayers, as well as $250 million from Erie County, in addition to the $600 million state funds."
    New York State approves $600 million contribution to Bills' new $1.4 billion stadium, per report - CBSSports.com

The biggest roadblock regarding the West Side Stadium was Sheldon Silver, as Speaker of the NY State Assembly. He may have been from NYC but his power was derived from his position in Albany. I'm pretty sure NY politicians would be happy to reclaim a few dollars of lost revenue and taxes since Leon Hess derailed their gravy train. Leases get renegotiated and extended every day of the year; to discount that happening outright in this case makes no sense. To get involved in the minutiae of such things because of an anonymous tip on a message board also makes no sense but gives some of us hope for the future.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's misleading language looks like. "the Bills will get a record $850 million from public taxpayers, as well as $250 million from Erie County, in addition to the $600 million state funds." They are saying 850K from taxpayers, then mention "as well as" State and County funs, which is public taxpayers money, adding up to 850K. They are getting 850K and paying themselves the rest. I suppose it can give some hope something similar could be approved in NYC, I just don't see it based on the examples I cited, plus Johnson would need to contribute billion(s) again, which I doubt will happen any time soon. To me 2026 is basically out of the question, 2031 is extremely low probability, and not much higher after, baring ownership change, but if these who want the Jets to move get some hope from this, so be it.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I read it as $850 over thirty years from taxpayers and also the total of $850 they're getting up front from the state and the county now. I agree that it is terribly written. There may be a more clear accounting available but I'm not interested enough in digging it up particularly as all we have to go on is the word of some guy who just showed up here. The point I was making about lease terms and the windows to opt out are that any deadlines can always be renegotiated.

7. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Lon Chaney and JetBlue like this.
  8. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a season ticket holder since 2015, today was a dream come true. Plus, 2,500 units of affordable housing, and the stadium is 100% privately funded-- now that's how to do it.

25,000 seat capacity. Too small for the Jets unfortunately. Could have gone in on it together and sold JetBlue the naming rights.

azhar80, Brook! and Lon Chaney like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Congratulations - finally they won't have to play on awful small baseball pitch, which is worse than most youth rec games. It will be much more fun to watch. It's much smaller than football stadium, and you don't want soccer games on 80K stadium, it will look empty all the time. 25K is good size. There is one in NJ for another NY team with similar size. Also, do you really want to see football lines when you watch soccer? That would be almost as bad as baseball pitch before. It made no sense to share this stadium with another sport. NYCFC made the right choice, but it wasn't cheap.

Note - about a billion bucks, and no public financing. This goes to support my point before that now days public financing in NYC for stadiums is extremely hard to get politically. I mean NYCFC had to eat the cost of multiple apartment buildings just to get an approval to build the stadium with no public funds. This just goes to show that Woody made a smart move to spend less than NYFC owners to get full use for all home games of a much bigger stadium with 1000s times more revenue. And ironically this stadium will be used for the biggest soccer matches too at the World Cup. He ain't leaving any time soon.

Btw, some were questioning attendance in past years. I pointed out that it was still high given the Jets sucked and will improve when they do well. Well, now it is #2 in the League at near capacity: http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance . Jets are here to stay.

#69 Borat, Nov 16, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

11. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Two things: I can't help but notice unlike ours this stadium will have a roof overhead to cover most of its fans. Secondly, I heard the private financing comes from Saudis.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

NYCFC is owned by the CFG which is really HH Sheikh Mansour from the UAE, would he need financing from the Saudis?

[​IMG]

https://www.cityfootballgroup.com/our-business/ownership/

#72 K'OB, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is the one gripe I have. Jets and Giants spent 800 Mill each to replace existing stadium with same occupancy but fewer revenue generating boxes, but didn't want to give 75 mil more each to make it notably better than the old one for the fans? It is actually roof ready, so if they want to invest, it can be done, but why would they? I heard both owners don't like domes, since they want to have advantage over some teams who are not used to bad weather, but that sounds like utter crap to me. More like cheap bastards.

azhar80 likes this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What advantage has no roof given the Jets in the last 10 years lol

dawinner127, roboz08 and Ralebird like this.
  15. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

You are correct sir. As a long time season ticket holder (at the time) I was very disappointed with that decision. I get the old school weather mentality. That was back when attending a game cost about double a movie price. But after PSL's and the higher ticket prices, if you are going to drop $500+ per game to watch them, you should get some weather protection or at least know that it's not going to be an absolute miserable experience. Imagine the Maras or Woodys sitting in 36 degree rain and wind.

This is another topic entirely....

papapump and Brook! like this.
  16. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I live in NJ but am so disgusted by MetLife Stadium that I’d be all for it. Show us the money senator!

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Jets can opt out of their MetLife lease after 2024. They did try for the West Side Stadium a few years back. Maybe down the line they do go back to NY.

20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Nope. Jets at MetLife is a beautiful thing

Borat likes this.