FIRE CHUCK ULBRICH

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

fully agree.

LAJet, K'OB and bicketybam like this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

The DC has already stated to everyone he believes DL guys need to get lots of breathers (max 35 snaps etc). Given he's pretty obviously not the brightest bulb in the room, he most likely truly perceives guys as winded more than others without such a rotation-philosophy would.

I don't think it was in his heart to imply Q was more winded than he should be. He merely believed that Q would be winded as long as he plays x amount of snaps.

tomdeb likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This mentality would explain why the Jets have the second most positional money tied into the defensive line in the entire league and nearly a quarter of the teams cap space.

Unfortunately the return has not been very good with only five sacks on the year.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

So far the return. We are only three games in.

bicketybam likes this.
  5. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

My take on the interview:
    1) He wasn't criticizing Q.
    2) Every time Ulbrich speaks, it confirms that he's dumb as a stump.
    3) The fact that Ulbrich isn't playing Q more than 63% of the snaps also confirms that Ulbrich is dumb as a stump.
    4) When you watch the clip of Q yelling on the sideline, it's clear that Q is not gassed, gasping, or needing rest. The dude has as much energy as a human being can have, but the only thing he can do with that energy is yell at the coaches because Ulbrich is unnecessarily limiting his best lineman's snap count.

Ulbrich needs to go. The right thing to do is wait until mid-season so that it's clear he's had every chance, but this guy's stupidity is a cancer on the team. We actually have decent talent on defense -- maybe not top 10, but far better than our cellar-dwellar stats would suggest. If a monkey can call this defense, then please let's bring in someone who is at least as smart as a monkey.

ColoradoContrails, IDFjet and K'OB like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean what else do you want to discuss? We can speculate that it’ll get better, but so far the defensive line has been a weaker part of the defense while the corners have fared pretty well as have the linebackers. The safeties have been pretty awful.

REVISion and cval like this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is a concern no doubt and we can speculate and hope it gets better. My point is, it is not yet definitive.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This is a big week for our defense. Usually, by week 4 you have a pretty good idea of who or what your team is. The offense gets a slight pass because of Zach's injury and what is happening at LT. The defense has to come up big this week.

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You do not have to fire him right now but he should get a diminished role. Saleh at a minimum should take over the defense of calls and rotation of players. If the defense stinks it up and Ulbrich is still calling the defense I will start questioning Saleh. To me, this is what sunk Bowles as well. The unwillingness to take control of his coordinators.

Ulbrich should be monitored closely this game and stripped the next at a minimum. If I were Saleh I would be calling the defenses this week.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

This is Saleh's defense, right? This guy is only trying to run what his boss wants. It's up to Saleh to realize he doesn't have the personnel to run it and try something different. For this reason I tend to give Ulbrich some leash. That my take at least. I don't think any other D coordinator would be doing any better trying to run what Saleh wants. I believe it's the scheme that is failing the Jets and that's on the head coach.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Very well could be. I never liked this scheme.

ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  12. bicketybam

Same and I think that is the problem and not Ulbrich.

Acad23 likes this.
  13. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

You could be right, but we don't really know what the dynamic between Saleh and Ulbrich has been, and how much latitude Saleh gives Ulbrich when it comes to things like snap count.

However, we do have some clues. For example, in June, Ulbrich said that he only wanted defensive linemen getting a max of 30-35 snaps per game, and the next day Saleh had to walk that back to the media. If Ulbrich was just a soldier following orders, then he was a dumb soldier who didn't understand his orders. But I suspect that, while Saleh is ultimately responsible, he gives his coordinators a lot of latitude in how they run the system, and this was an example of Ulbrich doing something stupid with that latitude and Saleh having to yank his chain.

That is, I think, how it should work -- a head coach should give his coordinators direction in broad strokes and then gives them a lot of latitude. When the coordinators struggle with that latitude, the head coach should tighten the leash and ultimately recommend dismissal if they can't get it together. That's what seemed to happen with the snap count issue in June, and I would hope that's what's going on behind the scenes now in an urgent fashion. Over the next four weeks, Saleh either needs to right the ship on defense or persuade JD to replace Ulbrich. If there isn't some kind of major change after the next 4 weeks, it could be Saleh's job on the line rather than Ulbrich's.

And ultimately, it's JD neck on the line if things don't change. JD did a great job collecting draft capital and cap space and then using a lot of both on defense this year; he should be more upset than anyone that all his good work is being wasted while stars like Q watch us lose from the sideline on 37% of the snaps.

Whichever coach decided to give Q only 63% of the snaps needs to go, IMHO. Whether that's Saleh or Ulbrich, I don't know, but I suspect it's Ulbrich.

14. bicketybam

I see it as Saleh leaning over to Ulbrich and saying " Keep Q out there as much as you can and definitely more than you have been."

Ralebird and WilsonJetsFan like this.
  15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

The CS should be assessed on every snap in terms of personnel just like the players are assessed every snap.

When you have a 4-man front, the CS should be able to articulate why this front and why the specific four players are in there instead of a different 1 or 4. And articulate why so-and-so player is on the end, why so-and-so is lined up inside etc.

After articulating their reasons we then look at the data and see if indeed their reasoning bore out. If not, they should adjust based upon the data.

If the HC is not doing this kind of assessment then there is a problem.

Unfortunately I have no insight into how this feedback loop works in the NFL--I assume a guy like BB demands it from his coaches and educates them as he does so.

Based upon my observations of the last 20 games or so of the current Jets regime, it seems to me the ST coach is the best, the OC is learning, and the DC is in way over his head.

16. bicketybam

I think we are starting to see how great of a coach Belichick is without Brady.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with this whole heartily. I said that in about three different threads already. I might be dead wrong, but we tend to rarely change the scheme to fit players strengths. We seem to be quite inflexible as to the scheme, as a one shoe fits all approach. You have to apparently know the whole playbook before you get time on the field no matter the need. We keep blaming everything on communication, communication, communication. If the system is so intuitive and simple, why do intelligent football players need so much communication on D. I yet to see Saleh team come prepared with a solid game plan from the on set. Is almost like other teams know his defensive schemes for the game better than us.

18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

So Brady had something to do with the Patriot formation that caught the Ravens and Harbaugh scratching their heads--and required a rule change after the season? And a hundred other things BB has done some of which you may actually have seen--how about taking Revis out of the game by lining up Welker in the backfield? (pretty sure it was Welker--can use a knowledgable fan to confirm).

19. bicketybam

What's his record without Brady?

20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Fire him now! Really smart to imply Q. is out of shape just as Q. is about a year or so removed from free agency. Always smart to piss off one of your best players so he can sign with another team. Saleh plucked this nitwit off the Falcons defense, whose only claim to fame is blowing a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl. Couldn't Saleh find anyone better? Why not call the D yourself, Saleh? Why do you even need Mr. backward cap?