Sauce Gardner Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Sep 26, 2022.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Now you're on the trolley.

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. Very interesting. The one difference is against the Bengals Joyner was moved at the last second by Whitehead. That adjustment by Whitehead moving Joyner, might have confused everyone. In both cases it might have been possible it was Joyner's responsibility to cover an in breaking route but in the second case Joyner got moved out? With 4 new secondary players there will be breakdowns. Hopefully, not resulting in an easy TD or two every single game. Glad to see Reed and Q are pissed and want things fixed. Really glad we added Reed.

#22 Noam, Sep 29, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Why isn't Will Parks playing more?

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

because I believe whitehead plays the same spot. Again I wouldn’t be surprised if Ashtyn starts eating into Joyner’s PT

5. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

For the guys that didn't want him, you'll be grateful we got him in 4 years...so all is good with everything!

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Reed was a great acquisition for which I didn’t see much credit given to JD

BudJet, Jets79 and Mogriffjr like this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

We don't count FA's like Reed, Berrios JFM, Fant and Quincy. We only count the ones that get injured.

cval, MoWilkBeast, Mogriffjr and 2 others like this.
  8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This dude is going to be in the same category as Jalen Ramsey, Darius Slay, AJ Terrell, etc. And he’s honestly there already with how well he’s performed. Whenever the ball is in the air, he’s glued to the receiver.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I badly wanted KT at four and admittedly was not thrilled with going cornerback that high but man has he lived up to his billing. He’s got some elite traits already. Four games into his career he’s good enough that you can stick him on the opposing teams best receiver for the entire game. I know that’s not how we roll unfortunately but that’s how good he is.

JetFanInNE, Jojo, PJ4Ever and 11 others like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It was Gardner on the TE that caused the ball to be popped into the air for MC2 to intercept allowing the offense back on the field. He deserves some credit for the comeback win.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Sauce is a baller but will never be a mauler! Whenever there's a big tackle or scrum, Sauce will run up to it but never dive into it. He's so tall and skinny he sticks out like a sore thumb. While DBs like DJ Reed will ATTACK in the running game, this will never be a strength for Sauce. What he lacks in running game defense, I hope he makes up for in passing game defense!

Ironically the better Sauce is, the more teams will be forced to run the ball on us!

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah I see him more try and strip the ball sometimes as opposed to sticking his nose hard into the tackle, but I’m not gonna crack on him too much for that…job 1 is shut down the receiver and he’s been really good at that so far. I also wanted pass rushers or OT at 4 but I also realized corner was a need and he’s been as good as advertised…not gonna nitpick on him

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I definitely saw this but he’s gonna get a pass from me for as long as he’s an elite CB. He reminds me so much of Cromartie minus the gambles. I’d much rather him keep blanketing receivers without the sexy INT numbers.

Footballgod214 and westiedog1 like this.
  15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I never had anything against the player, but I did not want the Jets to take a CB at 4. I wanted to go OT or Thibideaux.

Could not be happier to be wrong. Sauce is shaping up to be an absolute monster for the Jets. Between him and Reed, the Jets have to have one of the better 1-2 punches in the NFL

16. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

2022 was JD best draft thus far.
    All 3 first rounders have had impact and Breece Hall is also amazing. Not to mention Michael Clemons/Max Mitchell/Jeremy Ruckert

Jojo, ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

His last two drafts have been very good. It is that 2020 draft that was bad. If Becton makes a turn around it will go down as bad. Becton busts it will be really bad.

Losmeister likes this.
  18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Here is some stats from an X factor article on how good Reed and Sauce have been.

Their combined coverage statistics through Week 4:
    • 37 targets
    • 17 completions
    • 174 yards
    • 1 touchdown
    • 1 interception
    • 4.7 yards per target
    • 45.9% completion percentage
    • 57.7 passer rating
    • 0 penalties
    https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/10/03/ny-jets-numbers-cb-duo/

NY Jets68, Jojo, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

my observation is that he is sometimes willing to let the receiver get his hands on th eball first and he goes for the RIP very very aggressivgely grabbing foreams and shoulders hands and tryna undo any amount of possible possession for a PD

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yessir. Neon Deon Sanders was famous for avoiding contact at all costs. Even returning kickoffs he'd head right to the sidelines as soon as defenders drew a bead on him to avoid being tackled. But I'd take Deon on our team....maybe we already have him!