Post Game Observations without prejudice

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Sep 25, 2022.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

It's easy to correctly objectify this team without fire threads.

The ONLY person doing anything on offense right now is GARRETT WILSON. That's it. No one else is earning a pay check.

The defensive line is the worst, most underperforming unit in football. They stink and it isn't even close.

The CS has done nothing up to now to show their worth either.....

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I would think the expectations come from the amount of money invested into the unit.

When a unit is the 2nd highest paid unit in the league (something Nania alluded to in his opening statement in the article), the expectations for that unit should be high.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I like your take Ralebird. I know I am venting a bit, but to me Nania analysis disregards a couple of hugely important factors that are very hard to demonstrate, and harder to quantify and pin point in the field of play. Play calling and execution discipline. Pure and simple. Do we leverage the opposition weaknesses and maximize our team strengths?. Do we make an example of players that absolutely kill the momentum of the game with unsportsmanship or unnecessary roughness penalties.? Do we demand accountability or we just keep chalking it to the classic Salah rhetoric " it was just in a couple of plays" Well is a couple of plays that always differentiates winners from losers.
    On the field we are clearly not as talented as we hoped, but we are not maximizing their talent either Be it O or D.
    I believe we had the blueprint for success from the two teams that beat the Bengals. Containment with proper pass rush, but not us. We don't trust our front four apparently, we rush seven on crucial plays, weakening our strong point, the CBs effectiveness, and leave the safety in an island. Even with 7 we still cant get to the QB fast enough, What does that tell you. Are our players or our schemes that ineffective?
    So we call a play that if we don't get to Burrow worst case gives the Bengals a 30+ yard reception and best case torch us with a crushing touch down.
    IMO, If we don't maximize our defensive personnel effectiveness, we are going to be in deep shit against quick release QBs. Which in our division, is just about every one.
    Even more mind boggling, with all the talent at TE and WRs opening holes in the middle of the field, why do we insist on the long bomb when we need 5 freaking yards on a fourth down play. I refuse to accept that the game plan and schemes are not a big contributors to us shooting ourselves in the balls.
    This CS is on the clock. and they better show some serious adjustments come Sunday. Play smart and hard, and fuck all the other cliches.

ouchy likes this.
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

When a vet wr gives a 15 roughing penalty... no game plan can fix that...

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree. I made a big point about execution discipline as well as play calling. Why did we keep them in the game after those stupid mistakes . We had choices.

Noam likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The salary cap kind of eliminates any advantage in finding a way to throw more money on the field. What advantage the cap has no affect on is coaching, training and other peripherals. Could the GM be spending player money more wisely? All signs point to "yes".

Having said that, I disagree with your major premise. The irrational expectations of success probably come more from the desperation of backing a loser for so long that every draft pick, coaching change and free agent signing seems to bring what turns out to be unwarranted promise rather than from salary distribution.

7. Ralebird

While I agree with you that the key to making the existing team better lies in every phase of coaching the point I was getting at is it's easy to be disappointed when the homers such as Nania are constantly feeding the frenzy of expected success regardless of if it is warranted. So far it hasn't been for years. Are you going to continue to believe the hype artists or your own eyes? There has been no history here for decades of the right building blocks being put in place and brought along to the point of effective production. Only now do I see some of the cheerleaders asking for more than the empty promises some are still content with.

At least this may be a season where the fans more grounded in the reality of the Jets are not continually scorned and scolded for their 20/20 vision. Will that change whenever Wilson gets on the field is something we must wait and see.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The Jets organization needs to put a winner on the field. The faithful (and lucky) fans that saw them win a SB are all timing out. They deserve another championship before the big dirt nap. Make it happen, Woody!

cval likes this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Point taken. The bold is the catalyst that will unite hopeful fans from what you call grounded fans. Wilson must succeed. The hopeful believe it will happen, the grounded will agree only when it does happen. If the so call grounded in reality fans don’t root for Wilson to succeed, then like it or not, they are not much of a fan at all.

10. Ralebird

The final sentence is a red herring. As much as it has been claimed by a few of the "over the rainbow" types that more realistic fans are hoping for failure for Wilson and the team, I've never seen that connected to reality on TGG.

REVISion likes this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Another great film breakdown by Pavia of what went wrong against the Bengals. Painful to watch. Cliff notes are poor LT play, Jets get greedy in play selection and choices by Flacco, poor use of Moore and a failure to use the run after we fell behind. The main theme is when the Jets fell behind they went all pass, the Bengal rushers went wild and our LT got abused. On many plays Flacco had no chance. Pavia did bring up a point I have been making for almost a year that the key to our offense is the Jet sweep. When it works everything else works. It slows down the rush, opens up running lanes up the middle and gives the QB a little more time. This entire offensive scheme is based around making defenders at least think about going east and west and slowing them from going north and south. MLF needs to build in a misdirection running game if this offense is going to work and if defenders are going to play off balance. It is a beautiful thing when it works but man it is ugly when it doesn't. Just look at this film.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/09/27/ny-jets-offense-problems-bengals-film/

#111 Noam, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have seen many here that have categorically declared Wilson a failure after half a season and that we should move away from him now. Is that what you call realistic. "Realistic" versus "over the rainbow" is an interesting red hearing in itself. Realistic versus negative as hell" after every move as many here are , seems to be cleverly twisted into one quite often.

cval likes this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

One of the prominent anti-Wilson posters was guaranteeing us that the Jets would be taking a QB in the 1st round in 2022 before Wilson even through his 1st regular season pass. There are no Wilson supporters that guarantee Wilson will do well. Wilson supporters acknowledge that there is a possibility of, if not a likelihood of failure. Which is a stark contrast to the Wilson haters who only offer one possibility that Wilson will fail. The Wilson haters always have the same conclusion just cherry picking facts and stats and inserting them to support their pre-defined conclusion. They are not interested in discussion just spamming the same post they have been making for the last 1.5 years. It is a situation where being right has triumphed being a Jets fan. The sad thing is even if Wilson fails they will be wrong as their process is flawed. It is like guessing a math answer without being able to do the work. The answer might be right but the logic is wrong.

KingRoach, cval and bicketybam like this.
  14. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Right..NO BODY expects a SB VICTORY, but for fucks sake, can this friggin team SHOW UP every week and show competence? Is that too much to ask?
    Sorry, they are badly coached at this point OTHER THAN Brant Boyer, who is doing a mighty fine job

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You said it much, much better than I could have. We hope for Wilson to do well, outstanding in fact, but no one guaranteed anything. Just hope to see Wilson given every chance to succeed. Here is their classic take "If we say we can expect improvement but we are not at a caliber to make the playoffs this year, they will respond that's unacceptable and a loser mentality, we have the wrong personnel", if we say we should make the playoffs this year "we are over the rainbow thinking that will happen with Zach and we don't understand reality". They call themselves realistic, an euphemism for second guessing every move, even the undisputable good ones like this year draft. Anything and everything that doesn't match their selections. Why, because they thought differently. The irony with many realists is this, even when JD selects their picks, and they fail, they would immediately flame him him because he should have know better. .
    The bold is priceless and spot on. We are witnessing one of the best drafts since time memorial, geared to add weapons for Zach and the D , all contributors and some with flashes of greatness, yet they will dig deeper than ever to find something negative to make their case. Now they are down to a 4th rounder OT that has exceed expectations, but in reality we should have drafted a first rounder instead which so far has not. Realistic or get real?

Noam likes this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Thinking a guy isn't the guy is a lot different than wanting a guy to not be the guy.

Ralebird and Jets79 like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Indeed, as hoping a guy becomes the guy is much different than thinking a guy is the guy.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I feel like I am reading a ransom note when reading your posts. :D

KingRoach, LAJet and K'OB like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

[​IMG]

bicketybam and cval like this.
  20. Ralebird

I'd be interested in revisiting those "many" posts from last November that "categorically declared Wilson a failure." On the other hand we still have people today who want to call him a franchise quarterback. "Realistic" should lie in what is actually happening, not what people hope will happen.