COLD CASE: Carl Lawson. #SOLVED

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Was at the game yesterday. I focused on Lawson a number of times. Often he lined up three or four yards wide of the D line. This made him very easy to double team and he often was, with a lineman and tight end or two linemen. He was completely neutralized
    and I had to wonder why the coaching staff didn’t line him up inside or try to stunt him or something to get him free. His fault? Coaches fault? Either way he was a nonentity

Jedi mind tricks and Br4d like this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

my lord not ANOTHER fucking piece about generating fucking “pressure”!!!

this is the most bullshit stat … get me the fucking sacks and don’t tell me about the pressures.

pressure means you just missed…it means Mahomes or Brady or Herbert actually evaded and probably made a throw.

give me a damn break …. It feels like we lead the fucking league in guys who generate “pressure” and we are always at the bottom of the league in sacks. It’s a huge reason why our defense sucks. Because we can’t end drives by sacking the QB, LIKE ALL GREAT DEFENSES DO.

I’m so sick and tired of hearing about how we are so good in generating pressure and yet our D can’t ever get off the field.

there’s a reason why DEs who get sacks get PAID, and DEs who get pressures get let go

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  3. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

To think this team is the only one in the history of the NFL to produce two 20+ sack guys in a single season.

Acad23 likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jim Kensil bought the groceries and Walt Michael knew how to prepare them.

This isn’t rocket science. Most young GM’s and HC’s don’t know their asshole from their elbow. That’s why the turnover rate is so high on first time hires.

Sometimes you get lucky and other times the prior experience is relevant enough that skill beats lack of experience. In the case of the 1978/1979 Jets both were true. In the case of the 2020/2021 Jets neither has been true to date.

Both regimes had the same primary problem: an over drafted QB that didn’t develop quickly. The Kensil Jets built a very good OL to compensate.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Everything you said is completely untrue. When QBs are pressured their QB rating drops 30 points, their completion percentage decreases, their INTs go up and they run into other sacks. There is no denying that pressures especially with an improved secondary are huge.

In regards to Lawson he his not 100 percent healthy and likely will not be until the end of the year or next year but he is still playing at a high level and has graded out very well each week. He might not be the dominant best player on the field like he was last camp but he has played 3 good games and exceeded expectations coming off injury. He should only get better as he regains explosion throughout the year. I am glad he is here. I would love to see Bryce Huff get on the field too and see JFM move inside.

I think the problem is we all are expecting Lawson to be Superman when instead he is playing like Batman. Batman is not bad as long as we are not expecting Superman. Although Spiderman would be a lot cooler.

#45 Noam, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  6. Br4d

Robin. He's playing like Robin, or maybe Robin's kid sister it is hard to tell at times.

Our problem with Carl Lawson is that he was never a star to start with. However Jets marketing kicked into drive and the fans expectations were raised and then he doesn't even live up to his own value and wham! Way to waste $45M.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He probably won't be back at his number next year so don't worry, it's only $30 million

Br4d likes this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Yeah, we have an easy out after this season where we would only incur a 333K dead cap hit.

If Carl doesn't play to his contract this year, I would think they cut him or try to restructure.

Jets79 and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  9. Br4d

They really need to cut more of the vets they tried to fill with. Those guys can be a plus when the rest of the team is ready to go but they're just more dead weight when not.

Jedi mind tricks and KY Jets Fan like this.
  10. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Why don't you just cut to the chase here? It's the ENTIRE defensive line that's probably the most overrated, overpaid, lazy group in football. The largest percentage of cap space in football is devoted to the Jets DL and the fact is THEY STINK. The bottom line is Salehs entire defensive philosophy is shot without a suitable DL. I do think Ulbrich should be fired by mid season if this DL doesn't get off their asses and start earning their paychecks. If after firing Ulbrich the defense doesn't improve I would fire Saleh at the end of the season. Remember - after the draft everyone said this season was a referendum on Robert Saleh and his ability to coach. Right now he appears to be a total and complete failure....

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'll need to see how the rest of the season plays out before I start to think that anyone needs to be cut.

As of right now, Lawson definitely isn't living up to his 15M APY contract. If that continues, I guarantee he won't play for this team at that number next season.

12. Br4d

Last year I'd have said that the LB's were a big part of the defensive fronts issues. This year not so much.

NYJ1970 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I really hope they activate Huff this weekend.

One of the issues I'm seeing with the pass rush right now is it isn't developing quickly enough because everyone we have is more of a power rusher than a speed guy. I think Huff could give us a little more juice off the EDGE which could help the other guys out.

NCJetsfan and NYJFOREVER like this.
  14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Couple that with the asinine rotations and lack of our best players playing the majority of the game. I think @NYJFOREVER had the exact snap %s in another post somewhere.

cval and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

lawson was never a big sack guy. he averages 5 a year. the only year he had 8 was his rookie year and he was a standup rush lb

Br4d likes this.
  16. Br4d

The real problem is that you don't build teams with 26-29 year old free agents. You want those guys when you are ready to go. If you build around them with a bad team you might still have the 26 year olds around when you are ready to go but odds are all of them are in Not For Long status by then.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I agree and hopefully that won't be the case moving forward.

Seems like AVT, Breece, Elijah, GW, Sauce, MC, Quinnen, and maybe a few others will be the core of this team for the next few years. Use FA to fill the holes while continuing to draft impact positions in the draft to build on this young core.

18. Br4d

My gut tells me that AVT, Elijah, GW and Sauce are too good for the next regime to move on from. Breece and MC are running backs and you can't count on them for anything past the next game. Quinnen Williams is going to move on in free agency. He obviously hates playing for a bad team and although he doesn't have the mouth that Jamal Adams did he is going to force his way out of town at the rate the Jets are going.

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Like you said with your Not For Long statement, I think we may be getting a little too far down the line with some of these but we'll see.

Good thing is most of the guys listed will be on their rookie deals for, at least, 2-3 more years.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

When people talk about building cores they mean anchors of their side of the ball, and are usually big guys - linemen on both sides, and on defense LBs. Sometimes top skill players like a shut down DB or a star WR/RB are included. Of course this all comes to life with a top QB.

Right now our core is AVT, Quinnen, and Mosley. Mosley, and maybe Q, will be gone next year so our core on defense next year will be hopefully include Gardener. On offense its AVT, and maybe one of our skill players steps up and becomes a solid core player? Basically we don't have much of a core in place, and certainly not long term. We have some cobbled together pieces.

Make no mistake. This is the our final rebuild right now. Next year our defense is going to need new LBs, safties, and pash rushers. Our offense is going to need guards, tackles, and probably centers. We don't have 4 more top 35 picks next draft to fill all our needs, and we'll need to cut and build our cap back up. This is the team JD built, and if Zach and some other younger players don't step up, its all going to go downhill from this season. Its laughable to hear the "next year we contend" folks. Were peaking now.

This is why our last draft wasn't that smart. It was a rare draft loaded with core players. We used 4 top 35 picks, and went skill player with 3 of them. It was real sexy but no real core building. This is also why trading up can be bad when your rebuilding.

Acad23 and Br4d like this.