Fire Braden Mann

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's incredible really that Mann is such disappointment. The guy set College records. Only recently his season punting record was broken by "punt god", who will probably will not even play in NFL due to gang rape charges. Basically Mann has better College pedigree than every single punter in NFL, and punting is something that should translate to NFL easier than any other position. Maybe he was just mentally broken somehow.

With that said, I hope we don't have to resort to complete scrub Ty Long. That means Mann completely failed, and our punting is guaranteed to be the worst in NFL. I still think Mann has a chance to be middle of the pack guy, as much as losing Morstead hurts. I am a lot more worried about a kicker. I still can't quite comprehend how after 2.5 years of search, while sucking bad at kicker, we finally get a guy Pineiro who did very well and is young, only turning 27, and we let him walk in favor of an old guy turning 35, who is declining coming off inferior NFL seasons. We will probably end up using a 4th rounder on the kicker next year because of it, and that if there is a good one in the draft as that seems to be going rate now.

#21 Borat, Sep 14, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    apjbfc and REVISion like this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Really is typical Jets crap. We had a decent punter, Lac Edwards. He was drafted in 2016. He also had a shaky start, but improved his numbers and was averaging 45.9 by his last year with us. Then for some reason they drafted this guy. Mann's best numbers are no better than Edwards. In 2021Edwards punted 10 games for Carolina and averaged 47.9.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Saleh said that Mann had a stiff back Sunday that led to his poor performance.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It really is laughable and so Jetsy that this guy isn't working out.

Does any position translate to the NFL more easily than punter? How did we draft the best punting prospect from that year and he's not only not good, he's awful? I don't get it.

Jonathan_Vilma, Borat and cval like this.
  5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

More recently we had a decent punter in Morestead and Hekker was available for a few days.

I know I'm just piling on, but when you have a team like the NYJ, field position becomes an even greater priority thereby requiring a kick-ass punter. So invest in one!

Also, haven't seen it posted but we brought a P onto the PS today. Also activated Will Parks.

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Borat and IDFjet like this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Not sure how Mann suddenly lost about 6-7 yards per punt and now shanks a punt almost once a game….

8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Shades of Mike Nugent.

REVISion likes this.
  10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

NOT SINCE MUHF*KN Craig Hentrich !!!!!!!

Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich Craig Hentrich

We are an inept franchise...SELL TF TEAM ALREADY!

11. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

At this stage, I'd even trade for a serviceable punter.

Still having nightmares over that 20 yard punt from Sunday

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I don't think he ever fully recovered from that injury he had or if he did, its in his head now. Kinda like what happened to Herndon.

13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I think the difference between the football in college and pros is maybe underestimated when it comes to punters. Some guys seem to love the nfl ball (tommy townsend) and many underperform vs college. I think Mann is the latter although he probably is mentally screwed up right now too.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Could be a spacing thing, the NFL has the same man downfield rules as in the passing game so the formations are tight. Colleges do the cool "shield punt" thing where the linemen are all spread out and take off as soon as its snapped. Maybe it gets in the punter's heads as they move from college to NFL with all those guys bunched in around them

I didn't watch Braden Mann punt in college to know for sure or anything but its possible they did the shield punt thing and he was able to take a running step or two before launching it. Now he's gotta catch and kick with no space and he sucks at it

HomeoftheJets and westiedog1 like this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Nah he had quite a few punts where he took one step and launched it. On YouTube one of the first you see when you search Mann was when he was in his own endzone and kicked it damn near 60 yards out. It must be mental because in college he was an animal…50-60 yards with hangtime and the ability to coffin corner.

K'OB and BrowningNagle like this.
  16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

We will cut him and he will become an all-pro punter for a decade.

17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Def another variable---you don't think the actual football difference is as big a factor?

"An NFL football will measure 11″ long with a 22″ circumference at the midway point. … A college ball (D1) will be just slightly smaller (1/2″ in length and 1″ circumference). While the NFL ball is only slightly larger, it still seems to play a part in the drafting of QBs."

https://bigboardscouting.com/qa/quick-answer-are-nfl-footballs-bigger-than-college.html

#37 IDFjet, Sep 16, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Not wishing to start a debate or interrupt the self-loathing of the Jets fan this analysis - https://www.ganggreennation.com/2022/9/15/23354449/braden-mann-how-bad - would indicate Mann has been pretty average overall in the last 2 seasons. Undoubtedly part of the reason JD kept him. Cheap and average sounds okay for a punter to me. Cut him after his rookie deal and draft another. Obviously if he turns out great there's a conversation to be had. Clearly if he continues like he did Sunday he'll be gone sooner.

K'OB likes this.
  19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

The easy stats don't tell the whole story with him--for example, what's his average yds per punt and standard deviation from inside his own 20 when punters can let it rip.

Conversely how well does he place a ball when kicking from the 50 or so?

If he compares favorably on these stats then I'm with you--I have no info beyond my observations and I believe he ranks very low from inside the 20 and has relatively high % of touchbacks when kicking from the 50.

In no way do I believe he's average but even if he was, thats not good enough on a team like the Jets that lacks offensive firepower so must rely more on field position. It's not Braden's fault--its the FO for not recognizing the dire need for such a team to have a top 5 punter and to go ahead and invest in one.

20. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Mann cost us Trevor Lawrence with his tackle against the rams that year that saved a touchdown. Cut the bum

BrowningNagle likes this.