Mike LaFleur

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Jan 3, 2022.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Corey Davis is the least of our problems

blackssmagic and James Hasty like this.
  2. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I saw that as well

papapump and azhar80 like this.
  3. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

LaFleur has been completely disappointing to this point. I want to fully evaluate when Zach gets back.

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Also Garrett Wilson. He looked great in his debut. Get him the ball!

5. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I have a real tough time seeing LaFleur saying, "Yeah, we should really start Flacco," with a straight face. Impossible to evaluate the offense whilst Flacco is at the helm. Why is he here again?

6. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Seems like we have some haters on Corey davis.

Showing themselves up tbh, probs need a calculator to put 2+2 together.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

James Hasty likes this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

You know the wheels have really come off if he writes a book about it.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its good to have connections with the HC that transcend football.

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetsxf...y-jets-oc-mike-lafleur-big-change-week-2/amp/

Mike LaFleur must atone for a head-scratching decision in the New York Jets’ opener
    While there are a few criticisms that can be directed at New York Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur for his role in the team’s bad season-opening offensive performance, I thought LaFleur did a decent job overall. Most of the team’s struggles had to do with poor execution by the players.

With better pass-blocking, better quarterback play, and no fumbles or drops, the offense would have produced respectable results. LaFleur schemed up plenty of opportunities to make plays. The run game was solid and receivers were frequently open in the passing game. He can’t make Joe Flacco throw more accurately or stop guys from dropping passes and fumbling.

With all of that being said, LaFleur did make one baffling decision that undoubtedly hurt the Jets offense – and he must avoid doing the same thing in the future.

We’re talking about LaFleur’s mismanagement of wide receiver Garrett Wilson, the 10th overall pick in this year’s draft.

LaFleur gave Wilson only 6 snaps in the first half. Yes, six. That’s out of 38 offensive snaps, meaning Wilson only took the field for 16% of the Jets’ offensive plays prior to halftime.

That number is inexcusable enough on its own, but it becomes even more outrageous when you consider who was playing over Wilson.

As a part of LaFleur’s effort to feature 13 personnel packages (1 RB, 3 TE, 1 WR), third-string tight end Lawrence Cager was a starter and ended up playing 10 snaps in the first half.

The Cager experiment went predictably poorly. Cager’s first-half highlights included a holding penalty and a botched route that led to an interception.

What is going on here? Why is a third-string tight end who barely made your roster playing more first-half snaps than a top-10 wide receiver who was your team’s splashiest skill-position pickup this offseason?

Jets X-Factor Membership

To LaFleur’s credit, he righted his wrongs in the second half. Wilson played 35 of the Jets’ 46 offensive snaps in the second half (76%). Cager was put in the doghouse as he did not play a single offensive snap in the second half.

When on the field, Wilson showed there is no reason he should have been buried. Wilson caught 4 of 8 targets for 52 yards and two first downs. He also forced three missed tackles, tying Elijah Moore and two other players (Parris Campbell and Jarvis Landry) for the most among NFL WRs in Week 1.

Those numbers actually undersell Wilson’s performance. His route-running jumped off the tape and he should have amassed more production than he ended up with.

Specifically, there were two plays in which Wilson smoked a Ravens cornerback to open himself up for an easy touchdown pass, but unfortunately, he did not get a chance to make a play on either rep.

LaFleur’s management of Wilson in the first half of last week’s game is impossible to defend. Wilson needs to be a fixture in this offense. The Jets did not draft Wilson with the 10th overall pick to play Lawrence Cager over him.

Not only did the Jets spend the 10th pick on Wilson, but they elected to keep that pick instead of using it in a trade for a star wide receiver like Deebo Samuel, Tyreek Hill, or A.J. Brown. The wide receiver position was a prime need for the Jets entering the offseason, and Wilson ended up being the Jets’ only notable addition there.

Long story short: The Jets have invested a lot in Wilson. He should be playing, and he should be playing a lot.

It would be another story if Wilson was coming along slowly and did not look like he deserved playing time at this early stage of his career. But that’s not the case. Wilson was sharp in the preseason and then enjoyed a promising debut in which he provided the offense with juice when it was sputtering.

LaFleur tried to explain why Wilson didn’t play more, but I’m not buying the explanation.

“We didn’t get the rotation of personnel groups that we initially wanted. For Garrett, we can see how dynamic he is in the pass game … He’s not going to be just at one position. He’s gotta be at our F position, he’s gotta be at our Z, and just him being to operate every single play, not just the pass plays where he knows he’s getting the ball, but also when we’re running the ball, when he’s running the fake jet sweeps and stuff like that, that operation needs to get to 100%, and he knows that.”

I understand the importance of nailing the nuanced aspects the wide receiver position, but it feels incredibly finicky to bury one of your most talented weapons because of something as minute as how effectively he can fake a jet sweep – especially when your team barely ran those in this game, anyway. Plus, you re-signed Braxton Berrios to do that.

Stop overthinking it and play your best players. It’s that simple. If they can’t play because they are not perfectly mastering the minutiae of your scheme, then the problem is your scheme, not them.

LaFleur has shown a lot of promise in his short time as the Jets’ offensive coordinator. I think he can lead this offense to great heights and use it as a springboard to eventually become a head coach.

But there are times where he can be too scheme-stubborn. Sunday was a good example.

Let Garrett cook.

Next Article: The NY Jets’ Complete Gameplan For Defeating Browns
    Audio Version available to members only: Learn more here

Download Jet X Mobile on the App Store and Google Play.
    Want More NY Jets News & Jets X-Factor Content?
    Download the free Jet X Mobile App to get customizable notifications directly to your iOS (App Store) or Google/Android (Google Play) device.
    Add Jets X-Factor to your Google News feed to stay up to date with the New York Jets.
    Follow us on Twitter @jetsxfactor for all the latest New York Jets news, Facebook for even more, Instagram

Didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this was posted already. First half snaps: Wilson 6. Cager 10. Lol inexcusable.

Plus watch the routes from Wilson in the article when he doesn't get targeted. Kid is a fucking stud.

#209 Lon Chaney, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Link just goes to X Factor logo for me. I think this is the one.
    https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/09/16/ny-jets-oc-mike-lafleur-big-change-week-2/

It was definitely puzzling because even in those limited few play in the 1st half you could see Wilson was ready to do more

#210 The Waterboy, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Because he sucks. He’s a JAG.

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Did he really say the same BS line he's been using for Mims since he got here?

Garret Isn't playing more because he doesn't know the offense 100%..

Christ. Here we go.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Coaches earn the right to be anal retentive about their systems.

None of the current Jets coaches have come close to that kind of credibility yet.

Ralebird, IIMeanDeanII and Acad23 like this.
  14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Lots of receivers don't make a massive impact in Week 1. Sometimes, they don't even start. Justin Jefferson was splitting time his first few weeks before he got unleashed. For whatever reason, sometimes coaching staffs take time with rookies, especially when there are other quality veteran options at those positions. Corey Davis is a solid player, even if he needs to catch the ball more consistently. It's not like we have David Nelson ahead of him.

I think Wilson will be getting 75% of snaps pretty soon. He was open a lot last week. He'll get more playing time.

KingRoach and papapump like this.
  15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I agree with the theory of running 2 and 3 TE sets to give Flacco some blockers but with the wet field, I didn’t like seeing Cager out there.

16. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I had the same reaction.
    Good coaches figure out how to scheme guys open with a limited route tree.
    Does anyone remember the times last year we had 3 receivers all finish their routes bunched within a few yards of each other? That happens when the receivers responsibilities are too complex, they all run to the "open" spot. That's on the coach, not the players.

17. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

While I was not for bringing back Flacco this year as back up, I don’t think he is an inept QB.

I think There were some better options that JD could have elected to acquire during the off season that may be a better fit in LeFleur’s system.

but it is what it is now and got to hope Flacco and LeFleur connect and move the ball effectively.

18. Lon Chaney

Exactly. But Wilson is clearly a top level playmaker. 6 snaps? That's egregious. And if you watch this gifs he was torching his man off the LOS. Joe just didn't have time or the balls to throw it to him.

KingRoach likes this.
  19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

he has done ZERO in th eNFL so far. He's a top level playmaker when he makes a bunch of plays. Otherwise he is another unproven high draft pick.

I believe he is CAPABLE of this. But... until its DONE he simply another rookie.

and yes, he should start getting more reps now

Ralebird and ouchy like this.
  20. Lon Chaney

I get it. But if you watch the all 22 film you'd see that he was consistently beating his man. It's not his fault our QB and OLine situation stinks. The few times he touched the ball you could see the explosiveness.

But yes. I should've have said "potential play maker". It's there though. He has exceptional talent.

Losmeister likes this.