For the JD critics.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Sep 3, 2022.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly don't want to get rid of Saleh or Zach right now. But if they're terrible throughout the season, they should be gotten rid of at the end of it.

Royal Tee, SOJAZ, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If we are looking at some of the best QBs, a lot of them didn't play in the first half their rookie year, because they weren't ready. And in the second half of the year I thought Zach did pretty well with what he had to work with. Guys like Mahomes, Rogers, Allen, Stafford, Lamar, Brady either didn't play early or played poorly. I still think Zach has a shot to be great, he just needs to play so that we can find out. If he does not have a good second year though, I agree, the odds will be overwhelmingly against him. But as of right now, I just want to see him play, so a proper evaluation can be made.

Injury prone is a major concern, there is no doubt about that. Josh Allen is an absolute tank. But Zach does have a beautiful arm like Allen and decent mobility. I just don't think the jury is out yet. We need to see him play in double digit games this year, and make proper evaluation.

mrjet80, BradysTornACL, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A million monkeys playing Lotto repeatedly will eventually hit and that actually describes the real process fairly accurately.

hornblower and REVISion like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, according to PFF, all these 3 top tackles in the draft performed amongst bottom 5 tackles in NFL with Neal and Ike, one of whom we would have to have drafted with #4 pick, rated as #63 and #64 out of 64. Even our own rookie Max Mitchell, though had a bad game too, outperformed them. Sauce in the meantime finished rated top #12 of 95 CB in NFL. Full disclosure, I had the tackles rated higher than Sauce. But based on the first game the tackle we drafted in later rounds outperformed the one we would have drafted in the first, while Sauce played like NFL's top corner already. I know our OLine sucked, but it wasn't because we didn't draft Ike or Neal and Sauce looks like a massive hit. Hence right now the conclusion we should have drafted these guys over Sauce is not really justified.

WilsonJetsFan and Noam like this.
  5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Agreed. OL sucks because Fant and Tomlinson blew. But, Flacco gives zero relief since he can’t move. Seriously, you need to be somewhat mobile in todays game. OL is sub par but it’s not all on them.

Borat likes this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

As you said yourself most QBs and Coaches don't work out. So saying JD likely missed out on them is not really saying much. We need a confirmation that he did in fact miss out on them or not, and we need to see the season play out to get this answer. To me if we do end up winning 4 games again and Zach stinks, both Saleh and Zach have to go. But I might still hold on to JD and give him one more shot. It just feels like talent overall has in fact been upgraded by a lot thanks to him and there are a couple of good QBs in the draft again. Chance are higher he will hit on one given two opportunities.

Even in the last game, as bad as Oline was, it just feels like if we had a half decent QB who can move a little bit, we could have won.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It feels that way because the current group of new guys are unproven, so they still have "potential." But this roster is no more talented than any of the previous ones, which people at the time argued were more talented than the ones before them, etc.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Different times of course but the Jets stuck with Michaels and Todd for a good 5 years and towards the end in 1982 they were SB contenders and would of made it if not for some pure bad luck…..

It can happen but unfortunately these days the norm is a 2-3 year window because of FA and the cap…

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If by bad luck you mean Don Shula being a total creep amd flooding the field.

mrjet80, Noam and papapump like this.
  10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I agree.. the team (coaches/players) need to play the season so we can see if: The QB is the real deal or not, OL improves- like it should, D is for real or was it an outlier and is this CS capable. My concern is that even if we win more games during the second half, is it becaiue of the weak schedule or we as a team (CS/players) are really better.

As you stated if not, they need to go and in my book, JD will be on a lot thiner ice then he is now.

Borat likes this.
  11. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Honestly I've loved a what of JD has done for this team. However, as a JD fan, I will note below on things that could have been done better/I need to see improvement on.

K/P - we've sucked for years here and need to stop being cheap and get some experienced FA on this team that can solidify us. Were a long term building team and sold K/P can really really help us with game management/scoring. (Hardee is not worth his price but that's a Boyer pick probs)

OT - felt this off-season we needed to be more aggressive on the OT front. It was clear no one trusted Becton and you can never have too many Tackles.

That first draft - I know JD wants to work with his coaches on picks but that first draft is now along with the great drafts Mac and Idzik did. No team can afford drafts that end 3 years later that bad. We'll never know how much gase had his hands on that though.

Overall I love the job he's done the last 2 years specifically and we have a young talented roster for sure. But we all just want to see wins no matter what now.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

12. mrjet80

Something like that ….. wink wink

James Hasty likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I still hate the Fins more than the Pats and Shula is the reason for that. That playoff game in Miami was one of the worst examples of bending the rules until they break in NFL history.

My working theory is that the football gods made Shula and Miami pay for their sins by denying Dan Marino a super bowl ring.

The 62-7 loss at the end of the string was just the exclamation point to make sure the message was received.

papapump, mrjet80 and James Hasty like this.
  14. mrjet80

I was jumping up and down watching that game …. Sometimes I’ll even watch the highlights on utube. 38-0 with 11:00 left in 2nd quarter…. Lol. The funny thing is if not for a missed FG and an INT in the EZ the final score should have been 72-7….

papapump, BrowningNagle and Br4d like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

What's remarkable is that Max, in spite of struggles, appears to be the best rookie tackle so far, including Neal and Ike, one whom we would have drafted if we went T direction first round at the expense of Sauce.

#315 Borat, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Brook! and Noam like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Also, Tomlinson is back - performed top 10 in pass protect as expected after horrendous first game. AVT continues to shine: top 3 G in football so far, according to PFF. Looks like the line is coming together. Fant still sucked though. Hopefully he will come onboard next week.

Noam likes this.
  17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah crazy…I watched the Giants Panthers game and Iky had some struggles

if Mitchell pans out then it saves JD from his bad decision to count on Becton as a starter this year…still the wrong decision in my mind but if a 4th round rookie can play well at RT that certainly goes a long way to make up for that

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not sure if he counted on Becton to play all year. He did get expensive Duane Brown as a back-up, which is not something you do when you feel confident in your starter. Then a 4th round tackle Max Mitchell to be 4th string, plus CMG as a 5th string. Realistically this is a decent job. Unfortunately no he did not count on BOTH Becton AND Duane be out for the year (or in Duane's case he may or may not play later), but this is asking for too much I think.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You make it sound he was counting on Becton without a back up plan and that is dead wrong. He brought in another LT and drafted a great prospect. You can't predict injuries. Look what is going on across the league in that area.

Borat and KingRoach like this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah I just see it differently…I don’t think this was a decent job I just don’t and I would’ve done it differently. Doesn’t mean I’m right but there were much better ways to handle our tackle situation to my mind

I think first option should have been to make a better effort to resign Moses….money talks and I’m not buying that he wouldn’t have listened because he wanted to play for a contender…money ALWAYS talks

second, failing that, I would’ve probably prioritized OT either earlier in free agency or if not that then higher in the draft

Brown was a good late summer pickup but there is always risk in signing a 37 year old player no matter his last year durability

to JDs credit, Mitchell has performed pretty well for a fourth round pick so he may yet have the last laugh when (if?) Brown comes back

and if so, kudos to JD and we’ll all be better for it, but I just think JDs approach here has been disappointing