Mike Francesa is ‘hearing rumblings’ Woody Johnson may sell Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Cohen has settled in after a bit tenuous first year. I think most of that was a bit of back alley angst from owners knowing he’d operate more as the Dodgers then to save money. Plus he’s brash, and had a few Twitter spats but this year he’s been quiet. Maybe because the Mets have been much better, and he’s installed some good things for the team including a robust analytical department, grabbing Buck.

if he were to somehow get the Jets, I’d feel he’d try to do the same, hire the right people then change the “culture”, which I believe he’s doing more then anything as the owner here.

Attackett, azhar80 and papapump like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’d imagine , if woody did sell, that Gary v however you spell it guy would be leading a group to buy it,no?

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

If I had it...in a fukin heartbeat...

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You mean mod on tgg doesn’t pay enough?

Royal Tee likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

....which brings up this question to all: Who would you like to see buy the Jets? Elon Musk would be the most fantastic choice, but, who else? Michael Jordan? Trump? Kim Kardasian? Jeff Bezos? Walton Family? Marshal Mathers? Kanye West? Others?

What well known billionaire would you be happy with?

6. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I'd vote Jeff Bezos. Not sure a few of those people would be able to buy the team you listed.

Bezos isn't a real in your face guy. He's a weird cocky person, almost a requirement in the billionaire group. People hate Amazon because it's so huge, and just seem to hate Bezos by proxy.

He's loaded, and he's shown he knows how to build an org

Ralebird, REVISion and Footballgod214 like this.
  7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Mark Cuban. I think he got rich rehabbing troubled businesses, already knows how to build a successful professional sports team, passionate and seems like the type of owner who would invest in stress and injury research (I read the Rams do this and have the lowest injury rate in the league)

8. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Let Steve Cohen or some other multibillionaire buy them and bring them to one of the boroughs.

azhar80, papapump and KingRoach like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Cuban would be good. I was looking for candidates outside the sports world, even though I put Michael Jordan on the list. What public celebrity would get your nod?

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Oh great, the Utopia Planitia Jets.

Can't wait...

11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

You were looking for people outside the sports world but 3 of your examples own/owned sports teams? Shit, 3 of them aren’t even billionaires.

I’m sticking with my answer, if you want something more playful I’ll go with David Neeleman bc I love the potential for marketing synergy and nepotism.

12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Elon would be great - he'd settle on an astronomical price, we'd get all giddy thinking that Dumb and Dumber are finally gone, only to have him back out at the last minute...

HomeoftheJets and IDFjet like this.
  13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I don't think he has near enough net worth, you have to be at least approaching a billion net worth to be in the conversation. Broncos had a valuation around $3.75B but sold for $4.65B. Forbes has the Jets at $5.4B but as bad, as they are right now, the allure of owning a New York area team easily pushes the price over $6B.

Vaynerchuk did say his goal is to one day own the Jets but in 2021 when talking about buying the team he said he was shooting for 22-23, but that was 22-23 years not 2022-2023.

I would think Joshua Harris would likely be in the hunt to buy them. He wanted to buy the Broncos and missed out there but already owns the 76ers and Devils so would keep his 4th team right in the same area, not that it matters much to a billionaire. He also owns Crystal Palace FC.

FJF likes this.
  14. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Just so heads can explode, I'd like to see Trump buy the team. The league would never allow it (they wouldn't even let Limbaugh be a small minority owner), but the team would gain an instant huge following of casual fans (and make us the league's most hated team instantly to another huge group of fans).

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Absolutely Mark Cuban, agree with Roach 100%.

Outside the world of sports, Bezos; I had called for him to buy the team when Long Island City or Astoria was in the running for a second headquarters for Amazon a few years ago so he could build a stadium over the railyards there.

#35 Ralebird, Sep 15, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    joe, papapump and Footballgod214 like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It would be a great day for Jets fans if doofus Woody actually sold the team

papapump, NYJetsO12 and Donttasemebro like this.
  17. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Big lawsuits ahead for Johnson as Johnson co related to female talc and powder products knowingly cause cancer. Could be an ugly settlemt.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

The NFL wants BEZOS. That kind of money behind the team would mean a new stadium and could even mean one in Manhattan. For the love of god, sell the team!

19. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

They wouldn't let trump in the boys club 30 years ago, and there is no chance they would let him in now. He is a laughing stock within that group.

20. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

It would be our luck if someone like Bezoz buys the Jets but moves the team to Oakland and wins the Super Bowl the following year lol