First trip to see the Jets - advice wanted :)

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by JetsUK, Jun 21, 2022.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am hoping to be in NYC in early September and am hoping to get to the opening game against the Ravens and as I have never been to Metlife (or New York) before I had a few questions:

- if I want decent but not crazy expensive seats in a relatively nice area then where would you suggest?

- as a tourist I will be staying in Manhattan = what is the easiest and best way to get to the game and then back to Manhattan afterwards?

- is there anywhere decent to stay locally (either before or after) - is there anything to do around that area other than the stadium?

- do they have any open practices in the run up to the game?

- anything else you can think of?

As a fan since 1985 this will be a rare (and very possibly once in a lifetime!) opportunity :)

Brook!, FinnishJET and onefanjet like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The last time I got a room in Manhattan it cost a fortune and it was the size of a walk in closet. I would consider staying somewhere close to the stadium and taking mass transit into Manhattan for the sightseeing. As for the mass transit part, maybe someone can help. I avoid Manhattan like the plague.

3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

OK so I went ahead and booked tickets just so I would have that element sorted in advance and got 2 tickets in Sec 118

4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

No advice re transport?

Also holy shit but hotels in NY are expensive - it makes London look cheap by comparison.

5. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Hey JetsUK, great that you are going. You'll have a blast. A few thoughts of mine, based on my previous experience (and assuming nothing has changed in the last three years - a hell of a statement given the last three years!)

Easiest way to get there is from Penn Station on the train to Secaucus (subway to Penn from wherever you are). If the train doesn't terminate at Secaucus, then it will have (SEC) shown to show it stops there. You get out go up the stairs to a large square hall and follow the green hoards down the stairs (I think usually to the left) to the train going to MetLife. If in doubt ask someone, they'll help. As for getting out, the trains run quickly but there is a queue...maybe visit the shop before you leave to let some of the crowd clear. As far as I know there's not much to do around there, so I always head straight back to New York...coz you know, NYC baby! Hopefully you'll get an invite from someone on here to their tailgate, I've been to three and loved them all. There are some great people on here. :) If you do, get the first train out there, take the whole experience in and enjoy as much much as you can before the game...as you may not be able to enjoy the game too much (Jets gonna Jet).

Enjoy your trip, and feel free to fire any questions at me...if I can help I will, but I'm pulling things from memory, so take whatever I say in that spirit. :)

Brook!, FinnishJET and JetsUK like this.
  6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Thanks donkey - I am certainly planning on getting there with my son well ahead of time to soak up all the atmosphere - if there are any tailgates going then that would be cool :)

Brook! likes this.
  7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hey there.

Wow. Since 1985, first game. I now have an obligation to make your trip a fun one. Unless a business trip forces my hand, I plan to be there. (Flying to Madrid on September 5th and plan is to come back September 9th latest so that I don't miss the game.)

My answers to your questions are above. I will also send you my cell number thru private message. Feel free to text or call if you need any help while you are in USA.

JetsUK likes this.
  8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Thanks - much appreciated - hope to see you there.

Brook! likes this.
  9. Brook!

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Just a quick note to say thanks to Brook! and the other TGG members that I got to meet ahead of the game on Sunday - was certainly the best part of the experience after getting soaked and watching another terrible performance by the Jets! Sad to say that they look even worse in the flesh than they do on TV :)

If any other UK fans are heading over then feel free to message me and I will pass along what I learnt - was a pretty smooth experience overall.

Brook! likes this.
  12. Brook!

It was great to meet you and your son as well.See you either on this side of the pond or the other side.