What does Joe Flacco at QB give us? Apparently not a chance to win.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Sep 11, 2022.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I refuse to believe they think that.

At this point, it’s Wilson either plays well or everyone’s gone anyway so Mike White shouldn’t even be part of the discussion. They’re the most weak minded organization if this is the case though.

Most likely they feel “safe” with the vet Joe Flacco, and it’ll likely cause us to start 0-3.

I don’t have a huge issue with Flacco being the normal backup under regular circumstances, but with Duane Brown’s injury, the combo of Flacco’s slow and immobile style and the o-line barely holding together, it’s a recipe for disaster. Cleveland Is going to feast if we try the same things we just did yesterday.

I would much rather see White or even Streveler as they have a lot more quickness and can improvise better

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

It just seems to me we are in a perfectly forced position to evaluate mike white over 2 games. That to me, would be less of a waste than throwing old Flacco to the wolves for nothing. I don’t get the logic of starting Flacco. He gives us the best chance for nothing. Maybe white doesn’t either as it ends up, atleast we will know. After what he did vs the bengals last year, imo he deserves a bigger sample size. Flacco doesn’t even seem to have the will to win, forget the ability behind that line.

3. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I'm sure at least some of the rooks will get better, my main point was it wasn't all Flacco's fault.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

100%, Flacco starting adds nothing to the bottom line, and he's clearly not even here next year.

Maybe the defense squeaks out a win against the Browns by shutting down Chubb and forcing Brissett to throw the ball. But to think Flacco is going to lead them to a win vs the Browns defense is far fetched. Mayfield was hit 6 times, sacked 4 times, fumbled 4 times, and his feet aren't cinderblocks. I don't think White will set the world on fire, but I think his quick decision making gives him the edge over Flacco.

They got MINIMUM 2 more games without Wilson (personally, I don't even buy a week 4 return), might as well season the guys whose careers are not over. Flacco was so immobile, he reminded me of when the Jets called Vinny off his couch in Long Island to start vs the Ravens.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I may be in the minority, but I would rather see Streveler next game. The reasoning is simple: to me he beat Mike White for 3d QB job fair and square, and it wasn't even close. Joe's immobility has proven to be a big problem with the O-Line, which I think will get better with time like last year but currently sucks. Flacco padded his stats towards the end, but lost the game when it mattered. Overall rating does not reflect the fact that when it mattered he shit the bed, and even overall rating wasn't that good either. Granted O-Line didn't help, and this is more of a reason to play a guy like Streveler, who can actually move. Btw, this is not the first game Flacco sucked in. He played against Giants back-ups in preseason, and performed like shit too, so I would not consider this an impulsive decision.

6. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Same (it's homerish, but I love a good underdog story), I just don't see it happening with this CS. To move him to the roster, they'll have to cut someone? Or are they still at 52? The issue I have, how much of the playbook does Streveler know? Going against that Browns defense with the offense he ran in the preseason might not be the best idea.

7. typeOnegative13NY

They’ll probably throw Flacco to the wolves this week, then announce white as the starter the following week to fill some seats

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  8. typeOnegative13NY

I would be happy with anyone not named Flacco. Would love to see what streveler could do.

9. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

Its not making me feel any better seeing Geno Smith go 17/19 for 164 yards with 2 TDs so far.

#69 Yankee6, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    blackssmagic likes this.
  10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He had some great games for us and some of the worst games you’ll ever see….strange player

westiedog1, PJ4Ever and REVISion like this.
  11. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

i just checked his game logs for us, he has maybe 2 very good games and nothing else to speak of. I thought maybe i was misremembering, but no he was almost only bad

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The problem really is OLine, not just Flacco. When given some time and not worried about getting hit, Flacco is capable of some good performances. That's why he did well in training camp when no one can hit him. But when pressured, he sucks more than your average Joe. This is what happened in preseason too and really a lot of times in his career. And he was pressured more than anyone in NFL week one, even though he was getting rid of the ball in average time. Oline once again started very slow, like last year, and surprisingly is Tomlinson and Fant who were the worst. I think after a few weeks it will stabilize, but I don't know if it will be great next week, and we just need to do better offensively.

#72 Borat, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    azhar80 likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If only while on multi million dollar contract he would gave back $600 to the minimum wage scrub whom he owed in the offseason of 2015...

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Flacco gets another start; if he's no better next week, White gets a couple of starts; if he's okay he continues, if he's lousy in both nothing is lost in giving Streveler a couple shots. Somewhere along the line, Wilson will be ready to play again and he'll have a chance to show he deserves the job but if he does nothing after a few games you go back to the guy who did best. You play to win the game. and nobody is entitled to a job if there's another guy who has shown he's better.

papapump, PJ4Ever and Cman68 like this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It'd be nice if that is how it worked... but it simply doesn't.

16. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Here I’ll make it simple. We have an OLine issue. We cannot have anything happen with a statue standing back there. Flacco doesn’t fit the bill and neither does Mike White. Put Streveler in until Zach’s back. Someone with legs, someone who doesn’t take 7 years to do a 5 step drop.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

There's a reason the team has a depth chart. The closer you are to the top, the better you're supposed to be. Just give them each a shot in the order of the depth chart to see if anyone can put together two decent games.

18. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Saleh is being a company guy starting Flacco.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  19. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Flacco was pressured for most of the game when he dropped back, and he is 37. Flacco is what he is and Mike White wouldn't have been any better.

20. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

The Favre year, he threw for 6 TD's against the Cardinals the same game that Anquan Bowldin was destroyed in the end zone and broke his face. They also beat the pats in their prime in OT in a game that the Jets NEVER win without him. That was one of the best Jets teams I can remember before he got hurt.

GasedAndConfused likes this.