Studs and Duds week 1 vs Bal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 12, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs
    D-line - got pressure all day and kept good contain. jackson only had 213 passing yards and 17 rushing yards for 230 total yards. on 30 passes and 6 runs.

rush D - held a top rushing team to 63 yards on 21 carries (3YPC)

Sauce - really looked good out there today. held andrews in check and didn't seem to let up anything on whoever he covered.

garrett wilson - on a limited snap count made the most of his chances. 5 catches for 52 yards and showed his ability to seperate and get YAC. also had a heads up play on a conklin fumble to jump on the ball and give us a FG attempt

Davis - after starting with a drop, made some tough cacthes over the middle to keep drives going. finished with 6 for 77 yards on 9 targets

kwon alexander - was flying around everywhere when on the field. really gives us the extra speed at LBer we needed. made some nice sideline to sideline stops

Duds

O-line - especially fant who was bullied by houston all game long. flacco didn't really have any time.

Flacco - just looked old and slow back there.

Breece hall - under 4YPC, had a drop, and a fumble. not a good rookie debut

greg the leg - 1/2 on FGs and missed an XP

mann - rough day punting including a bad shank

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

ON the 55 yard Bateman TD I believe Sauce was supposed to stay with Bateman and get help from Joyner. They both mis-communicated. Not a skill error but a learning error.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I would add Lamarcus Joyner to the duds list. Guy seemed like he was lost all day yesterday.

papapump, Royal Tee, PJ4Ever and 7 others like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Q was a stud.
    Michael Carter was a drop away form being a stud
    And Garrett Wilson is going to be a star

papapump, Royal Tee, LAJet and 15 others like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Honorable Mention for Saleh with another blowout loss..

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

In the meantime Marcus "Two Gun" Maye forced a key fumble of Mariota, while recording 9 tackles in the Saints comeback win.

#6 ouchy, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree pretty much with all of the above

with GW it’s pretty cool that we all can see it…and this is what I mean when I like to say that great players don’t usually take a long time to show their talent

sauce as well it’s clear he belongs

man’s I loved seeing the sack or half sack by JJ

good to see our rookies do well in game one

mitchell may have been getting help but he showed better than he could have

I was a bit disappointed in Breece Hall based on all the hype but he looked like this in preseason too…I’m not sure how much is just the poor OL play and I still think he’ll be good

PJ4Ever, REVISion and JetFanInPA like this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Joyner is a liability…safety is a weakness on our team that’ll have to get fixed next year

blackssmagic and ouchy like this.
  9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Sauce passed him off, I don’t think it was a match coverage in that play. Joyner just kinda got the pass off and couldn’t make up at that point.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Yeah could be. I think Sauce was supposed to stay with the outside guy and instead played the short zone, passing him off way to early. Either way it was a major screw up by everyone.

Royal Tee and Lon Chaney like this.
  11. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Honestly, besides Garrett Wilson (who clearly did NOT play enough. WTF is the OC thinking? ) you should just say the entire offense and ST was straight up hot Garbage.

Royal Tee and blackssmagic like this.
  12. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Good post overall, but in a game like this there has to be more duds than studs. Could certainly add any player who had a TO or a big drop in addition to Breece.

wewantsapp and Ralebird like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

was a miscommunication. not sure who's fault. It was zone so I think sauce was right in passing him off to joyner. I'd have to rewatch the play though to confirm.
    the penalty on joyner was BS though and shouldn't have been called. both were locating the ball, the WR ran into him, the throw was uncatchable. just a bad call overall
    explained that above IMO
    whitehead had a solid game though. joyner is clearly a stop gap. S and OT will be 2 big needs in the offseason

Royal Tee, Jets79, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

Probably a knowing the playbook thing. wilson has packages. he was in on a lot of 3rd downs and red zone

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Defense was better than expected. Granted, JK Dobbins and Gus Edwards were out, but did anybody expect competent run defense against the Lamar Jackson and the Ravens? I sure as hell didn't. So that's a pro

Defense was surprisingly decent. Very solid CB play (even Hall's allowed TD was tight coverage albeit perhaps lacking in ball skills). Gardner and Reed should be the best CB duo they've had since Cro and Revis. I'm high on both of them. Big exception was Lamarcus Joyner... He has to be on a short leash. Call up Will Parks. 24 points allowed isn't good, but against the Ravens it's not awful. And I blame the offense's incompetence for some of that. Must be pretty deflating when the offense is missing field goals, dropping passes, not converting 3rd downs, and turning the ball over all day long

OL was not good, but they should be better and fast. More time to gel and reshuffling should be done. Plenty of talent and ability. Tomlinson will get much better. On the plus, Max Mitchell wasn't a disaster in a surprise start against a good team. We all would have expected he was going to be the weak link, but ironically it was the left side, Tomlinson and Fant especially

In some ways, there were numerous encouraging things (defensive play, the 1st round picks, Mike Carter minus that brutal drop). On the whole, it's another game they ended up losing by 2 scores largely due to stupid miscues... Not an acceptable or a good loss, but they can also put it behind them with some better play.

PJ4Ever, MoWilkBeast, FJF and 2 others like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

we held them pretty good but sadly turnovers, killing ourselves and shanked punts kept flipping the field as well as poor offense. defense played really well, offense needs some help badly.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Mann has to go, sadly it isn't the first shank of his career, he really has not been as advertised.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they didn't at least sign a UDFA or journeyman FA to compete with him. He's been subpar since he was drafted and certainly hasn't earned an uncontested roster spot.

wewantsapp and K'OB like this.
  19. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

It only took a couple of big plays to spoil an otherwise solid defensive effort. Tough to win in today's NFL with a weak inexperienced secondary (fair or not, the refs will not give them the benefit of the doubt on calls). Also doesn't help much when your anemic offense is not capable of responding with big plays of their own.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

3 turnovers you will lose most games

LAJet and Lon Chaney like this.