Morning After

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 12, 2022.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Horrible combo of banged up O-line, offensive play design/system, and statue Joe Flacco is my takeaway. The rest of the team (besides the kicker and punter) were encouraging.

If you swapped QBs yesterday I think we win rather easily. Flacco would have been sacked a bunch of times where Lamar was able to get out of pressure, and on the other side he would have bought time and made a few plays downfield which Flacco was unable to do

Savatage, Borat, cval and 3 others like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

After sleeping on it last night, I feel better than I did immediately after the game yesterday. Still don't feel great but it is what it is after a 24-9 loss.

I thought the defense played well. I can't say great when they gave up a 55 yard TD on a busted coverage but I honestly felt like that was their only big blemish on an otherwise good day. First FG was given to Baltimore after a bad throw by Flacco. I know Cager slipped but it didn't look like a great throw anyway, Marcus Williams (I think?) read the route very well and made a great break on the ball, best case scenario was an incompletion there IMO. 1st TD was a great throw by Lamar, Bryce honestly had pretty good coverage but Lamar put the ball where only Duvernay could get it. 2nd TD was after Mann's shankapotomus where the Ravens started on the 44 yard line. Another breakdown in coverage where Joyner (I think?) broke up on Mark Andrews who ran a version of a curl route where he sat down past the sticks in between the intermediate zone defenders, Jackson saw that and hit Duvernay in Joyner's vacated zone. 3rd TD was terrible, busted coverage, just awful and inexcusable.

The offense, obviously, was the main issue yesterday. They had 2 decent drives in the first half, one where they missed the FG (saw that coming, it's almost like a rite of passage that every Jets K has to miss their 1st one) and the one before the half where Greg the Leg actually made it. Then you finally start moving the ball (after we're already down 24-3) get into the Red Zone and Breece fumbles the ball. Then you drive down again and Michael Carter drops what should have been a walk-in TD on 4th down. If we can get TDs on those drives, we're looking at a much different ball game. However, like the old saying goes, "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas". We were a couple of young mistakes away from very much being in this game.

My hope is that by the time Zach comes back, this OL will have worked out the kinks and be firing on all cylinders but Zach gives you a lot more mobility and can actually extend plays. We saw what our young WRs can do when plays break down so I'm encouraged that this offense will look better when Zach returns but we'll just have to wait and see on that one.

Finally, put Garrett Wilson in the game more. The guy looks like he could be the real deal. I know Corey probably understands the playbook better and has a more developed route tree but idc. Put GW in the game and manufacture him touches. Last year was all about "battle scars", right? Did we just abandon that this year? We're still a young team, let these young guys learn so they can develop.

SOJAZ, Borat, Jojo and 3 others like this.
  3. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

What has saved me from watching this hot pile of dog sh*t of a team is tuning into the NFL Redzone.... try it..

Wut? and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Something I did not expect.

Very surprised that Max and AVT seemingly played better than Fant and Tomlinson in Pass Pro.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The long TD and the shanked punt don’t happen and it’s at least a close game. The D stood its ground.

The play calling needs to be addressed, though.

6. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

I normally go to opening day games, but I knew this would happen, so I actually passed this year. Maybe its hindsight, but how is anyone surprised? The O-line is a total mess right now... yes there is talent there, but everyone knows it takes time to gel and we literally had to plug in a rookie and make Fant switch positions during game week. Add a shaky O-line to a non-mobile washed up backup QB, and its really pretty obvious what was going to happen.

I firmly believe that the first 2-3 games of the NFL season doesn't tell you the whole picture of any team. This is especially true in today's NFL. I think the offense is going to be much better when we get competent o-line and QB play... we just have too much talent out there with no one getting them the ball. The defense looked good, but we have to remember that this was Baltimore's starters first live game action since most didn't play during preseason. I have no doubt that they will also be much better in a few games.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That was Flacco at full speed

8. FJF

They called that game like they were afraid . There was no faith in the offense yesterday

SOJAZ and Acad23 like this.
  9. FJF

On the bright side, I didn’t hate any thing I saw from any of the rookies. Mitchell looked like he belonged for the most part.

Pepsiguy5, REVISion, Borat and 4 others like this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I went expecting to get blown out. We lost but nowhere near as badly as I thought we would. The defense really surprised me. They played so much better than I thought. The put decent pressure on Jackson and stuffed the run game. Baltimore had no sustained success moving the ball in the first half.

The offense was bad but I didn't expect much out of the backup QB and an injured OL. As others have notets, Wilson looked very good when he was in there. Special teams were tragic. Mann is garbage and we kept the wrong kicker.

The worst part of the game was being surrounded by Ravens fans. It was embarrassing. At one point they chanted "de-fence" as loudly as if it were the Jets fan chanting for their team. The guy next to me was screaming "Come on, Lamar!" on every Ravens offensive snap. I wanted to throw the guy over the railing.

The traffic getting in was ridiculous. It took nearly an hour to get from the exit ramp to the parking lot. We missed the kickoff.

On a positive note, I got a free t-shirt. My son caught one that was shot up into our section. And it's actually nice. It has the Jets logo we used prior to the latest one.

Anyway, I don't feel any different about this team than I did on Saturday. The Ravens are a team that I didn't think we'd beat. Vegas had us as a 7 point underdog at home. I'm not sure what people were expecting. I will say that's the last game I'm going to until they are a winning team with a winning culture. I'm not making that drive to be surrounded by the other team's fans. Same shit happened last year against Miami. Awful.

TwoHeadedMonster, Borat, cval and 2 others like this.
  11. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Ravens lost a lot of starters to injuries last year.

NYJetsO12, bicketybam and Noam like this.
  12. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I feel like a woke slut that just got gang banged and enjoyed it... where's my "Morning after pill"? I need to erase any consequences of yesterday lol

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I saw a lot of positives - the defense was tough early on, flashes of a good running game, some good contributions from Wilson.

I thought Saleh coached like a pussy. After Wilson made that phenomenal play to almost get a first down, ending up half a yard shy, the momentum was there for the taking, but Saleh punted. This is a team that needs to grab a new identity and he's coaching like we can grind out victories against good teams.

I thought Flacco looked like a dinosaur. For the love of God at least try somebody else. That QB sneak was symptomatic of his entire day - just zero pop and fire. He just leaned over and got stopped easily. He's done.

SOJAZ, NY Jets68, Savatage and 5 others like this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Granted their defense dominated our offense but that's why you draft guys like Wilson and Hall and sign Conklin and Uzomah, so you don't get dominated. Isn't that drastically improving our offense? BTW, they had some key players out as well, RB Dobbs and CB Peters.

NYJetsO12 and Noam like this.
  15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I expected the Jets to be bad this year (4 to 6 wins) and they somehow wound up even worse than my expectations. 80% of the problem is our "OL Guru" refused to fix the offensive line. The rest of the problem (aside from ownership, which we can't do anything about) is that the coaching staff is bad.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Like many, I didn’t expect to win the game either. Today, in MD, they commented that Jets speed on defense didn’t create much opportunities or gaps.
    We made too many mistakes at worst time and place.
    There were some positives though and will focus on that and hope it will carry the next few games. Like the WRs. Liked the defense and hopefully Lawson will create more pressure.

I expect the TEs to get more in action next week.

MoWilkBeast and Noam like this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

True That!!!

i subscribed in my Cable and you can actually witness the play of some better run organizations and Coaching Staff

Do the Jets have as talented a Team of those on Red Zone .. we are getting closer imo

The bonehead mistakes by all the personnel yesterday just highlights one thing in neon lights

Our Coaching Staff suxs compared to what is out there

And the GM that put it all together for 4 long years is looking very pedestrian and maybe very low average

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree with everything except about Zach. Yes, the jury is still out on him, but obviously he couldn't change anyone's mind yesterday, and he still possesses immense talent. But yes, after 3 drafts and FA periods how can we still have an OL that "needs to gel"? And the whole Becton saga has really made me wonder just what Douglas is thinking. The analogy that comes to mind is extreme snowboarders that hike into the backcountry knowing there's avalanche danger and saying "It's okay, we know what we're doing", and then hearing the report of them buried in an avalanche. Becton was an avalanche waiting to fall.

And while I think Saleh and the CS need to be on the hot seat, I don't think heads need to roll...yet. But they'd better get the mistakes ironed out, which should've been addressed in camp, figure out how to make quicker better adjustments when things aren't working.

I do see a glimmer of hope in that the "D" played much better for the most part, and the offense had plenty of chances to put points on the board which last year wasn't even possible in a lot of games. If Zach returns and plays to his potential - and stays healthy - the offense could be very good. But two "IFs" and a "Could be" aren't facts, and until they are we are asked to be patient, and that's wearing thin to the point of almost invisibility.

#38 ColoradoContrails, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    JetFanInNE, SOJAZ, REVISion and 3 others like this.
  19. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

The only person I have to blame is myself. I suppose the excitement of opening day got to me, just to be beaten down back to the sad reality of being a Jets fan. The game day experience continually gets worse, too. We have zero home field advantage, zero identity - MetLife is basically just a gathering place for opposing teams fans to revel in our misery. I told myself on the way out of the stadium yesterday that this was it for the year. However, I know come a couple weeks from now, that will change, they'll get my money again and the process will repeat until December.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Just sick and tired of every excuse in the book tbh

The younger guys in the Board want to have Hope want to see a fixable problem and I get that

But as the mistakes and losses mount all that will cause a sobering change.. just watch

Again.. JD must replace this coaching staff if they continue to have them play so sloppy and unprepared

Get rid of Saleh by the bye week re evaluate your QB situation so you try to find a guy that wins for us…and for god sake get a better OL which may actually be the most difficult thing to do at this point in Season

SOJAZ likes this.