Jets vs Ravens - Keys to victory

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Sep 10, 2022.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on this. IMO:

On Offense
    We need a quick passing game and a ball control offense. Especially with our o-line starting Mitchell. We got the weapons for this. Use the TEs smartly. Keep Moore, Wilson, Berrios scampering under 10 yards most plays, with quick throws. Use Hall and Carter out of the backfield regularly. Flacco can be decent here. MLF has to scheme plays that take advantage of Baltimore's formations and get someone open fast. Then set up the deeper throws. If we come out bombing then it will probably be a bad sign.

Establish a running game. We got a solid side of the line and a new prospect in Hall. If we cant successfully run even quick passing probably wont help us much.

On defense
    It all starts up front. Our front 4 has to generate pressure. This part concerns me a little. We have a great DL on paper but I didn't see anything to exciting in preseason. I really hope we can succeed here. We have to get pressure while maintaining our lanes. Anyone free forms and Lamar is going to hit that hole in no time.

If we can maintain pressure up front we can play nickle and I'm not opposed to shadowing Lamar with a DB a lot of the time. He'll have some success running - but keep it manageable. IMO keep Mosley in middle of the field as much as possible and have him key on running plays on first and second down. Lets force them to beat us through the air. Hopefully the fans are loud when our defense is out there. They will need it.

Also, I'm not super sold on Lamar's passing. Hopefully our corners can shut down their guys and make some big plays, and our safties are not making mistakes.

#1 ouchy, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Here’s my take

I see a very slim chance of winning this game…

Offense - I agree with the short quick passes and just move the ball in small chunks, but we saw very little in the run game and our OL is in flux…I think it’ll be good by mid season but right now there are too many moving pieces and we have a raw kid at RT…we saw last year how one bad player in GVR wrecked the whole OL…we saw it years ago for those who are old enough to remember Wayne Hunter at RT…I’m concerned….I think we’re going to have a hard time running the ball and Flacco is going to get hit a lot…hard to see us putting up 20. But if we’re going to do it, I agree it’ll be the TEs and Moore and Berrios hitting some big runs off short passes. I just think we’re looking at like 13-17 points which won’t be enough

defense - I have no idea how we’re going to contain Lamar. We have plenty of “nice” pass rushers but not one dominant rusher like a Von Miller or Khalil Mack type guy. I like coming in waves and maybe we make some noise that way, but I’m afraid we’re going to see a lot of mad rushers break to the QB at full speed and then see Lamar just spin or sidestep and break a run. Our LBs can’t cover Andrews, and I’m afraid we’ll see DBs step up when Lamar scrambles and then he’ll lob it over their heads for long gains. We’ve seen that time after time with him. And if they don’t step up, then Lamar will outrun our LBs for first downs.

I just don’t think we match up well against them. Then again, few teams do.

I’m hoping it’s competitive but I doubt we can win this

Jeff M and ouchy like this.
  3. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Lamar decides to sit without a contract.:(:cool::rolleyes:

abyzmul and Jets79 like this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I think Mitchell will surprise, they start out the game giving him help but as the game goes on he gets the job done and it opens up the offense. Defense has some issues but not a bunch of big plays and controls Lamar just enough and Sauce gets at least 1 INT. Jets win 34-27.

I know I should have saved this for the bold predictions thread but too late now.

ouchy likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mostly agree. Wouldn’t put a spy on Lamar though. We don’t have anyone that can stay with him so it’s just a waste of a man. Our outside corners need to be able to play man with little to no help. Double Mark Andrews and keep Lamar in the pocket and you hold this offense down.
    On offense we need to run some screens to the right side to help Mitchell and slow down the rush.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If Mitchell comes out of this game looking like a legit nfl tackle I don’t even care if they win.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The situation with Lamar's mobility actually works in our favor where it usually works against us with oversized bruiser RBs. We have an undersized group that has some speed now. I think it would be cool to see Sherwood subbed into Nickel sets with Kwon Alexander, both have speed and coverage skills. Kwon would spy.

On offense, I don't know if they have enough at OL to run the ball effectively, but they have a lot of TE help now. I think we have enough weapons for Flacco to still be effective moving the chains.

We need to get some kind of help from STs. They have given Brant Boyer the help he needs, let's get some bonus points out of it or at least consistently good field position.

#7 abyzmul, Sep 10, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Just have Clemons kill Lamar in the 1st quarter.

Game over.

9. abyzmul

I think late second quarter. It will make the comeback more exciting, with all of the locker room drama.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Just follow what the Titans and Ravens did against Jackson in the playoffs. Should be easy right? :p

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Let Sauce get Bateman 1 on 1 the entire game and see if he is up to it. Like you said about Andrews, flood the middle and make Lamar use Duvernay to spread the field. Pass rush needs to be aggressive, but not reckless and open huge gaps for LJ to run through and gash us. I'm indifferent about the spy thing but I think Whitehead is going to be a huge player for us in this game, seen him do it multiple times in Tampa to running QBs and containing them.

I think Browning said this in the other thread, but if Ulbrich has the safeties lined up 15-20 yards off I am going to fucking lose it. Hollywood isn't there anymore and the only deep threat they have to spread the field is Duvernay. Bateman ain't that guy.

12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. We have the offensive weapons to score if, as you say, Flacco can control the flow with quick passes to our WRs, RBs and TEs. Running game will only be effective if Flacco can pass. If the Jets try to run without establishing the pass, it will be a bad sign. On defense, the Jets need to force Jackson to stay in the pocket, that's how you beat a super mobile QB, or so they say.

#12 westiedog1, Sep 10, 2022
  13. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The national media give the Jets no chance to win this game. None even anticipate a close contest. Perhaps they are correct and it will be a blowout. If the club can stay in it early and gain some traction we may be on to something. Sure Jackson is a handful but he is not a great passer. And the Jets have speed on the outside. If the defense can slow him down it will be fun. Not expecting miracles but why not?

14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

2:16. I remember this play so clearly.

(sorry, looks like you have to watch on youtube. spoiler: happy ending!)

15. abyzmul

I just had a Joel Dreessen sighting. Another guy the Jets gave up on too soon.

westiedog1 and twown like this.
  16. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Offensively, I would open in two tight end sets to help with pass protection and getting the run game going. Quick passes and use the tight ends after they chip block. Could even unbalance the line with both tight ends on the same side to give a different look occasionally.

Defensively, think you gotta play sound and make them grind it out. Have to hope for some turnovers.

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I heard a statistic that the Ravens are far and away the most selected team in survivor pools.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…. not a shock

we suck at openers lately…they are a much better team, and we’re starting an old immobile backup QB and a raw rookie RT…doesn’t give us a warm fuzzy feeling

19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well I have put Elijah Moore into my fantasy lineup over Josh Jacobs or Amari Cooper

Talk about confidence :) Lets hope Flacco finds him a time or two.

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Colts 14.14%, Titans 17.82% and Broncos 13.79% are all higher than Ravens 11.49% on Yahoo Sports Survivor Pool

Cards and Texans are the only teams at 0.00%, was going to say not picked but I'm sure there is some super homer of those teams picked them putting it at 0.000012%. Jets at 0.23%

I'm going with the easy pick with the Titans this week